August 1 Raise.

JL 0513

The cola formula has been there for decades. I do not know how it was decided or who implemented it. I would agree it is less than adequate. But for the majority of those years it was never even used because inflation was never enough for it to kick in. What is this like the third one in 30 years? And two of them were the last two years.
Fortunately, we haven't gone through many accelerated inflationary periods like the last couple of years. Over time, the GWI has essentially just kept pace with normally low inflation. Basically, there hasn't been a "raise" (more purchasing power) in decades. I guess we can never expect that.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
The cola formula has been there for decades. I do not know how it was decided or who implemented it. I would agree it is less than adequate. But for the majority of those years it was never even used because inflation was never enough for it to kick in. What is this like the third one in 30 years? And two of them were the last two years.
We would get a 10 cent raise in early 90s. Then that stopped.

Thebrownblob

We would get a dime.
The first one I was supposedly not eligible for, I can’t remember what year it was late 90s? A couple years later one of the Union Stewards walks by in hands me a check and I’m like what’s this? he says it’s your retro check for the cola raise you didn’t get a few years ago. Apparently there was a national grievance filed for some of us and we won it.

JL 0513

So today, the latest inflation rate was reported. Now an even higher 9.1%.

I forgot how our COLA adjustment works in terms of time period that it looks at. Seems COLA we get August 1 was determined at least a couple of months ago. I would assume it's on an annual basis and these last couple months will figure into next years COLA?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Spend it on self sufficiency. Get a generator, start a large garden, get some meat from a local butcher get medical supplies and water filtration systems, get solar lights, build a shelf stable pantry of canned goods, beans rice, peanut butter, nuts, olive oil, frozen veggies, dried fruits, canned chicken and tuna. Get zinc, magnesium vitamin D and iodine supplements. Build a chicken coop and get chickens. Get a curriculum to homeschool your kids. Stock up on bleach, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol. Get actual books on homesteading, 2 way radios, batteries, am/fm radio.

Most of you have no idea what we are actually in for. I have all of these things above. Started years ago but now every extra dime goes into more of it.

In one day you can go to home Depot and get several shelving units, and then hit Costco and spend $1000 and you will be ahead of 90% of the population.
Don’t forget an arsenal of automatic weapons and ammo for such

JL 0513

Spend it on self sufficiency. Get a generator, start a large garden, get some meat from a local butcher get medical supplies and water filtration systems, get solar lights, build a shelf stable pantry of canned goods, beans rice, peanut butter, nuts, olive oil, frozen veggies, dried fruits, canned chicken and tuna. Get zinc, magnesium vitamin D and iodine supplements. Build a chicken coop and get chickens. Get a curriculum to homeschool your kids. Stock up on bleach, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol. Get actual books on homesteading, 2 way radios, batteries, am/fm radio.

Most of you have no idea what we are actually in for. I have all of these things above. Started years ago but now every extra dime goes into more of it.

In one day you can go to home Depot and get several shelving units, and then hit Costco and spend $1000 and you will be ahead of 90% of the population.
Spend what on self sufficiency? We got a major pay decrease this year, along with most people.

Thanks Brandon.

Its_a_me

So today, the latest inflation rate was reported. Now an even higher 9.1%.

I forgot how our COLA adjustment works in terms of time period that it looks at. Seems COLA we get August 1 was determined at least a couple of months ago. I would assume it's on an annual basis and these last couple months will figure into next years COLA?
Our August 1, 2022 COLA raises were based on May 2022's CPI-W number (288.022 which was published in mid-June). The raise is $0.82.

Yes, it WAS an annual calculation (but it only applies from Aug 1, 2019 to Aug 1, 2022. The current CBA expires July 31, 2023 so there is no set COLA procedure for Aug 1, 2023). If you go by the last contract there will be no COLA as the union must negotiate a new wages in August 2023 and obviously there is no inflation from August 2023 to August 2023 (at least no published reports inter-month).

July 13th's CPI-W numbers are actually from June (again the previous month's numbers are release the following month). That month over month change was 1.6% higher. June's CPI-W number is 292.542. Had this been included in this Aug's COLA it would have been an additional $0.23 on that Aug raise. But it is not.

Again there is no COLA raise in 2023
so the union must include this 0.23 from June and keep a running total each month and must negotiate a raise equal to that total number for the 2023 contract or we are losing money to inflation. And that is just to maintain our current wages not be rewarded for the hard work and skill we put in towards the company's success over the next year.

So if the union comes back with a typical $0.70 raise on Aug 1st 2023 and inflation from Aug 1, 2022 to Aug 1, 2023 totaled $1.05 like this past year (remember we are already losing because of the 3% inflator and not being paid for June's inflation)---then we will have a declining wage.

So it's important to make the voices heard regarding this issue during contract negotiations. The wage raise has to be greater in 2023 than typical because we don't get a 2023 COLA and there will continue to be inflation that is eating into our paychecks.

ManInBrown

No chance there’s a strike. Worse case scenario O'Brien will be paid off by UPS long before it ever comes to that. It’s just never going to happen. Too much money involved. I have full confidence in our new leadership that they will do the best they can for us, but again, if push comes to shove UPS will just pay him off.

No chance there’s a strike. Worse case scenario O'Brien will be paid off by UPS long before it ever comes to that. It’s just never going to happen. Too much money involved. I have full confidence in our new leadership that they will do the best they can for us, but again, if push comes to shove UPS will just pay him off.
I agree there won't be a strike because there is too much money involved on both sides. UPS would have to pay off more than the International President and someone always talks.

ManInBrown

I agree there won't be a strike because there is too much money involved on both sides. UPS would have to pay off more than the International President and someone always talks.
They’ll pay off whoever they have to. There’s a double edge sword to having someone like Sean in charge. He’s not afraid to get his hands dirty and crack some skulls if what we have all heard about him is true. But the other side is if push comes to shove, he‘ll probably be easier to pay off than Hoffa was.

kforte36

We should strike. The company isn't going to just roll over and pay everyone more. What is the company going to do if every driver in every center goes on strike? Fire everyone? No.