Auto Mechanics Beware of Jack Stand Violations and Hazards

Integrity

Binge Poster
You cant fit under a package car without a jack? When do you take all 4 wheels off at once? If 2 wheels are off 4 jack stands and a jack for backup seems like enough integrity.
DruDownOnHere,

I do not understand what you are saying?

Did you read the operator instructions for the jack stands?

Sincerely,
I

upschuck

upschuck,

The same safety requirements exist for the larger rated jack stands.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/20627.pdf

http://atdtools.com/PDF/ATD7447,7449.pdf

Sincerely,
I
You are a nut. :1eye: You must be a Division+ PE/Compliance/Safety guy to see and inquire about the things you do.

I will take experience over book knowledge anytime. When they are up on all fours, I sure they are not underneath it doing anything that would topple the vehicle.

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

While visiting various facilities Integrity has noticed that there are significant unsafe practices while using automotive type jack stands.

Mechanics, review the instructions and the practices for yourselves and you will see.

Sincerely,
I
What would you do??

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I follow the prescribed PMI procedures, which specify the use of 2 pair of jackstands that have the capacity of at least 6 tons each. The stands are inspected on a regular basis. Nothing to worry about. Did they specify what their reason was for only supporting one end? The proper way to support all corners safely is to jack up the front first, with the rears chocked or otherwise prevented from rolling. Totally safe.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I can't see or find any explanation as to why the manufacturer (or anybody) says its unsafe to use them to support both ends. (said the mechanic simpleton with a BA and associate's degree in 2 different fields):raspberry:

jaker

trolling
Scooby0048,

I don't know when the day will come that I will report this violation, I don't even know if the day will come.

If I receive knowledge of an injury I might.

One voice is fine.

Sincerely,
I
So you won't report it to save someone else , but only after someone gets hurt

You are a awesome person with so much integrity

EastBrown N Down

I thinks that Integrity and everyone else who speaks in 3rd person should be hit with a jack stand... what a bag of flaming feces. Also you speak (type) like a speak N spell..

Sincerely, a college graduate who can fix his own car..

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Integrity, since your knowledge in this area is so vast, can you explain the reasoning for this warning? We simpleton, functionally illiterate, bluecollar mechanics seek your enlightenment on this subject.
It puzzles me that UPS PMI methods clearly instruct us to commit this heinous violation, considering the fear of litigation motivates a great deal of policy at Corporate level.:wink2:

jaker

trolling
I hope you live your whole life like the way you read the instructions , of not then you have no grounds to tell someone else

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Brownslave688,

As I stated you have no basis for your untrue statement.

You are entitled to be wrong. Just don't bring others down with you.

No disrespect but individuals who become mechanics are usually not thought of as the most wise of a people.

I would be careful of where you obtain your collective wisdom.

Sincerely,
I

Ha ha ha ha ha...I caught you speaking of yourself NOT in the third person! You've lost all of your Integrity!

8andout

Brownslave688,

No disrespect but individuals who become mechanics are usually not thought of as the most wise of a people.

Sincerely,
I
Make the above statement to the wrong mechanic, such as myself, and you may find out who the true :censored2: is.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Brownslave688,

Sincerely,
I
You have no :censored2:ing clue do you?