UrFellowUpser

This job is hard gosh... A couple a days ago i messed up someones yard by getting stuck in it out in the country. I told my manager about it as soon as it happened. I dont think i will get charged but i cantacted the customer and we agreed that i will fix the wrong on the weekend. Prior to that i clipped a low hanging wire also told management about that and to my surprise never got charged for that. And a year ago i was hit while parked that was ruled as unavoidable and just yesterday i went over on my dot hours. Right now im in fear for my career and livelihood. I dont think i will be here long if i dont fix this NOW.

Sounds like you are often going out blind on routes. Tell the sups you are being put in potential unsafe situations, and that you been to slow down and it easy.

UrFellowUpser

Ive been out blind i just get nervous when i know im too slow and have next day airs and savers and businesses to deliver too plus the pickups. I really do try to follow the methods and go a safe pace but UPS has these crazy metrics they wont to meet.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This job is hard gosh... A couple a days ago i messed up someones yard by getting stuck in it out in the country. I told my manager about it as soon as it happened. I dont think i will get charged but i cantacted the customer and we agreed that i will fix the wrong on the weekend. Prior to that i clipped a low hanging wire also told management about that and to my surprise never got charged for that. And a year ago i was hit while parked that was ruled as unavoidable and just yesterday i went over on my dot hours. Right now im in fear for my career and livelihood. I dont think i will be here long if i dont fix this NOW.
How hard is it to stay under 14? If you hit 14 hours park the car and have someone come getbyoy. It's that simple

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ive been out blind i just get nervous when i know im too slow and have next day airs and savers and businesses to deliver too plus the pickups. I really do try to follow the methods and go a safe pace but UPS has these crazy metrics they wont to meet.
Who cares?

Not your problem.

"Possible late air"

"Possible missed businesses"

"Possible missed pick ups"

Cover your ass. It's that easy

Cementups

Box Monkey
You get warning letters for all that i guess i need to know how to communicate these things. I think thats my problem i dont communicate

If you send messages all day saying you will need help then your butt is covered. Just do that. Use the DIAD to communicate so there is record of it and they can't say you never sent it. Every hour.
And slow down. This may be hard to comprehend but the slower you go, the faster you will go. If you hurry, you panic and you make mistakes. Slow and steady wins the race.

Box Ox

If you send messages all day saying you will need help then your butt is covered. Just do that. Use the DIAD to communicate so there is record of it and they can't say you never sent it.

Using your phone to take a picture of all DIAD messages sent and received doesn’t hurt either. Have it automatically back up to iCloud.

Your center manager might act like your documentation of why x,y or z happened doesn’t matter. But trust me, they notice when a driver documents every message like that. They know you’ll pull out your records and call them on their baloney every time. And it helps.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
When you get fired, sell those socks for some extra cash!

IESucks

Lol

oldngray

nowhere special
Lately? ??
Are you sure know what that word means
that word.png

Star B

White Lightening
And slow down. This may be hard to comprehend but the slower you go, the faster you will go. If you hurry, you panic and you make mistakes. Slow and steady wins the race.
This. Even though I don't work at UPS, at Express we have the same "FASTER FASTER OMG FASTER OMG THE WORLD WILL END IF YOU DONT DO IT YESTERDAY" type management, minus the union. Smooth is slower. Before I perfected just letting go, the fastest days I had were the days I literally said "friend- it" and moved at a nice, steady pace, friend their numbers, friend their pressure, just friend it all. The days I felt like I was pulling my hair out constantly and second guessing myself... were the days where my numbers sucked.

Smooth wins the race. and FYI, I'm a Swing (aka Cover) so I'm sent blind on routes quite often.

Also.. one last little bit. We had a meeting with our workgroup during one of our instances of a late airplane. Old and new couriers, swings and regular route drivers. One thing that was brought up by the vets was everyone felt the way you feel right now.... good luck!

GenericUsername

You just have to figure out a way to relax man. Stop looking at all the air, businesses, NDA savers, etc, at the same time. Look at what's physically possible to do by the times it's supposed to be done. Air by 10:30? Can't do it? Tell a Sup with a witness prior to leaving and message it in before you even tell them. Businesses and 3:00 commits done by 3. Can't get them done by then? Message in. Can't have your truck sorted and let them know you have misloads by X time (my center is 3pm, don't know yours) because it's blown out? Another message. Can't make it in by X time for air? Message in for a meetpoint.

I'm not necessarily a runner as I take my breaks and meals, but if I'm not knocking out 20-25 stops an hour on most of the routes I run, I feel like I'm behind. It sucks, I know the feeling, but some times you just have to let it go and say friend it. They'll end up putting you in the same areas eventually so you're not going out blind if you keep having issues. You may get more frequent rides with supes (hah!) to learn more areas, but that's just part of it I guess.

Good luck.

brown_trousers

I hope you dont mean to fix their yard on your own time. That would be UPS's responsibility to pay for it to be fixed. Just like we dont personally pay to fix someone elses car if we get in an accident.

Unless the homeowner is cute and single, then by all means, stop by her house on the weekend for some "yard work"