Before it's too late!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Probably right, but the three slate situation that occurred in '91 (and helped Carey get in) just might repeat. Then anything could happen. Hoffa's getting up there and there's a few ego's that might not line up behind Hall/O. This should start getting interesting pretty soon...
It would be interesting, if there are 3 full slates.

Anything less, than a full slate against the incumbents....

The incumbents will always win.

-Bug-

Almost always.

Carey unseated the incumbents in '91 in a three slate race.

Try and keep up "Big Guy".

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Almost always.
Did you even bother to read the quoted text in its entirety?

Carey unseated the incumbents in '91 in a three slate race.

Try and keep up "Big Guy".

Never mind "Big Guy".
I assume you were referring to Sandy's I'll advised independent run in the last election.
My bad.
Did you mean 2 full slates against the incumbents?

Inthegame

What's $250,000 ×13? (Gegare's tenure as an International Vice President)
Define what a "similar contribution" would be?
I suspect money wasn't a concern as well.

If his actions were motivated by a desire to change the course of the union, why would he have disappeared after one "eleventh hour" failed attempt?

It was waaaay too convienient (and prudent).
I'm not buying it.
He did his appointed "duty" and vanished in the fog that is the Teamsters.
And you've been watching waaaaay too many movies. Atta boy though you're sticking to the conspiracy absent any credible verifiable information.
"Similar contribution".... Locals normally set their pension benefit contribution for their agents/full time officers at the highest negotiated rate in contracts in their local. Gegare always had top contributing freight contracts in the CS Pension so he had similar contributions made on his behalf from his local.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And you've been watching waaaaay too many movies. Atta boy though you're sticking to the conspiracy absent any credible verifiable information.
"Similar contribution".... Locals normally set their pension benefit contribution for their agents/full time officers at the highest negotiated rate in contracts in their local. Gegare always had top contributing freight contracts in the CS Pension so he had similar contributions made on his behalf from his local.

All I am saying is that Gegare made the better part of $4 million or more in his 13 years as an International VP before he "disappeared".
He receives his Central States pension plus the additional "frozen affiliates plan" as an elected official.
I'm good with that, truly.

Care to share a rough estimate of what he receives for his monthly pension?

It is what it is, Gegare was no martyr, rather a decoy/patsy.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Locals normally set their pension benefit contribution for their agents/full time officers at the highest negotiated rate in contracts in their local. Gegare always had top contributing freight contracts in the CS Pension so he had similar contributions made on his behalf from his local.

Yep.

And the same goes for their dues rate, vacation time, etc.

Care to share a rough estimate of what he receives for his monthly pension?

The only person that could answer that, would be him.

-Bug-

As a side note;

Is anyone (especially UPS people) aware of the situation with Central States....

When, they went from a 2% accrual rate to 1%.... in 2003 ?

Irishman Collins

All you have to do is look at Suckerman, and his merry band of "players".

If you know anything about them (which I do).... all they are trying to do, is move up.

Better positions, with more money. They could care less about the members.

There won't be any demolition. And, I will tell you why....

There is the answer.

Any contenders will get the 5% (of delegate votes) needed to get on the ballot.

Then, get slaughtered in the general vote. (Do Leedum or Gegare ring a bell?)

And afterwards.... just start talking smack all over again.

Some people are "hoping" to relive things, through the "spirit" of Carey. Ain't gonna happen.

Just my opinion....

But, watch what happens.

-Bug-
Do me a favor list Jimmy Jr's accomplishments for us. I would love to see all that he has done for his members? I already know about reducing members health benefits and the pension failures. So you can leave those off the list, lol.

O/C

-Bug-: would it be correct to say that the general membership sees the union leadership as no different than corporate executives. Cut from the same cloth, out for number one and willing to do anything to maintain their power structure. A classic example of insanity.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Out of that 10,000....
How many do you think work (at least) 40 hours a week ?
*without begging to go home*

Interesting. Our 22.3 guys want to work, but the company insists there's no work for them... unless they want to double-shift. One of our 22.3 guys (actually a gal) is management pawn -- literally. Her job consists of talking to employees (in the presence of their steward) about their attendance, misloads, and other routine discipline stuff, and then she writes on the warning letter and puts it in the employees file. My BA sees nothing wrong with this... hmmm...

542thruNthru

Interesting. Our 22.3 guys want to work, but the company insists there's no work for them... unless they want to double-shift. One of our 22.3 guys (actually a gal) is management pawn -- literally. Her job consists of talking to employees (in the presence of their steward) about their attendance, misloads, and other routine discipline stuff, and then she writes on the warning letter and puts it in the employees file. My BA sees nothing wrong with this... hmmm...

Wait you're telling me she pulls people into the office and disciplines them? And shes a union member?

I'd refuse to talk to her. She has no authority and can not force you to talk to her. If possible I'd also file a harassment grievance.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Wait you're telling me she pulls people into the office and disciplines them? And shes a union member?
I'd refuse to talk to her. She has no authority and can not force you to talk to her. If possible I'd also file a harassment grievance.

I hastily wrote that -- she doesn't discipline them. She brings the employee and his/her union steward into the office and "coaches" them. E.g. "Bagels, you've been late three times this month. Mr. Preload Manager has noticed and has asked me to talk with you. What's going on? Is there something I can help you with? You know, I strongly recommend the Alarm Clock 3000 from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here, let me write that down for you. Because you don't want to be late again... or else Mr. Preload Manager will be involved, OK? Thanks, Bagels." She'll hand you a letter, signed by the Preload Manger (not her) that says 'Bagels, you have reported late to work 3 times in the last 30 days and 7 times in the past year. On your next occurrence, you will will receive a formal warning in accordance with... This letter is being provided to you as a courtesy."

HOWEVER... she writes stuff on it and files in into the employee's file, which is what I have a problem with.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hastily wrote that -- she doesn't discipline them. She brings the employee and his/her union steward into the office and "coaches" them. E.g. "Bagels, you've been late three times this month. Mr. Preload Manager has noticed and has asked me to talk with you. What's going on? Is there something I can help you with? You know, I strongly recommend the Alarm Clock 3000 from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here, let me write that down for you. Because you don't want to be late again... or else Mr. Preload Manager will be involved, OK? Thanks, Bagels." She'll hand you a letter, signed by the Preload Manger (not her) that says 'Bagels, you have reported late to work 3 times in the last 30 days and 7 times in the past year. On your next occurrence, you will will receive a formal warning in accordance with... This letter is being provided to you as a courtesy."

HOWEVER... she writes stuff on it and files in into the employee's file, which is what I have a problem with.

You should have a problem with it.

National Master
ARTICLE 6.
Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the
Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any
agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively,
or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any
document, either individually or collectively, which in any way
conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such
Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement
or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the
Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any
disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document
nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.
In addition, the Company will not discipline an employee for refusing
to sign any Company form related to the principle of a fair day’s
work unless the signing is required by law or by this Agreement.

File Monday.

542thruNthru

I would still refuse to talk to her. I'd say "I'm sorry but I don't have time to talk to you I'm working. Seeing as you are not a supervisor I have nothing to say to you. If you continue to harass me I'll be forced to file a grievance And alert HR of your continued harassment. Thank you and have a nice morning"

she needs to be put in her place. I'm sure if a few of you did just that she would no longer have that job.

710 steward

I would still refuse to talk to her. I'd say "I'm sorry but I don't have time to talk to you I'm working. Seeing as you are not a supervisor I have nothing to say to you. If you continue to harass me I'll be forced to file a grievance And alert HR of your continued harassment. Thank you and have a nice morning"

she needs to be put in her place. I'm sure if a few of you did just that she would no longer have that job.

File AND call HR. Let them know that a union employee is doing management work. They'll love that. Everyone is in trouble then and they don't have good enough answers for that.

10 point

I'd notify the hourly puppet and the management involved that not only does all above posts apply but also the company is creating a hostile work environment.

That, in itself, warrants a call to the 800 ethics hot line.

Pitting employee against employee creates hostility and that can be applied to safety committee "observations" by other hourly employees as well.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
File AND call HR. Let them know that a union employee is doing management work. They'll love that. Everyone is in trouble then and they don't have good enough answers for that.

The problem is that HR and the Labor Manager are regularly in my building and frequently converse with her. It's not like they don't know.