Before it's too late!

10 point

The problem is that HR and the Labor Manager are regularly in my building and frequently converse with her. It's not like they don't know.
The problem is...

No one is challenging this?

I'm guessing the Labor Mgr is snickering at the gullibility amongst the hourly.

Why would management including HR care? Until you expose the issue on paper they won't care and they probably relish the infighting.

10 point

All you have to do is look at Suckerman, and his merry band of "players".

If you know anything about them (which I do).... all they are trying to do, is move up.

Better positions, with more money. They could care less about the members.

There won't be any demolition. And, I will tell you why....

There is the answer.

Any contenders will get the 5% (of delegate votes) needed to get on the ballot.

Then, get slaughtered in the general vote. (Do Leedum or Gegare ring a bell?)

And afterwards.... just start talking smack all over again.

Some people are "hoping" to relive things, through the "spirit" of Carey. Ain't gonna happen.

Just my opinion....

But, watch what happens.

-Bug-
Do you think Jr has a more genuine sense of responsibility than anyone else vying for GP?

Is there a better option and why, if so, do you feel so strongly about supporting a man that Jim Kelly sang accolades about?

Why is it that many stewards feel the IBT leadership is soft on issues that affect our employment and strongly believe that local support under Hoffa's watch has become secretive and often cowers under UPS pressure?

These are honest and heartfelt questions. Can't you understand our frustration?

The frustration from those on the frontlines is what you saw in the last TA war and it wasn't all about just healthcare.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem is that HR and the Labor Manager are regularly in my building and frequently converse with her. It's not like they don't know.

While I do agree in principle with much of what was written above I can also see this from a management perspective. Wouldn't you rather have a peer tell you in a non-threatening manner that you need to get your stuff together and what the consequences may be if you fail to do so?

542thruNthru

While I do agree in principle with much of what was written above I can also see this from a management perspective. Wouldn't you rather have a peer tell you in a non-threatening manner that you need to get your stuff together and what the consequences may be if you fail to do so?

I disagree. No other hourly employee needs to know my business. My discipline does not need to be discussed or passed down to my peers.

Think of it this way. Would you want one of your newly hired drivers coming to you and telling you about how you messed something up on your route and how you could fix it. Going off of what I've read on here I doubt that would sit well with you.

10 point

I have no problem with constructive criticism.
Constructive criticism isn't about an hourly passing out warning letters.

This mentality may be OK with you but not with most of the hourlies I work with.

We had a driver who got fired THREE times for not wearing his seatbelt. They made him the safety co-chair (prior to ratification of this contract) and he was doing observations on other drivers and that really angered many drivers in our building.

As soon as the TA was ratified he lost his cushy job as the center hypocritical safety mascot. Today he's a supe in another building. Good riddance.

Either be hourly or be management. You can't be both.

Giving constructive criticism is one thing but you should not be a new employee and 22-3 classified workers, unless they're driving as part of their job or was a veteran driver, should not be criticising drivers on driving issues, that's my opinion. You can always bring up issues in the pcm as a safety tip the day after you witnesssed an unsafe act without mentioning names.

Helpful hints are a good way to go (just in case you're allergic to crow) because none of us are perfect. Omit criticism. Keep your friends.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hastily wrote that -- she doesn't discipline them. She brings the employee and his/her union steward into the office and "coaches" them. E.g. "Bagels, you've been late three times this month. Mr. Preload Manager has noticed and has asked me to talk with you. What's going on? Is there something I can help you with? You know, I strongly recommend the Alarm Clock 3000 from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Here, let me write that down for you. Because you don't want to be late again... or else Mr. Preload Manager will be involved, OK? Thanks, Bagels." She'll hand you a letter, signed by the Preload Manger (not her) that says 'Bagels, you have reported late to work 3 times in the last 30 days and 7 times in the past year. On your next occurrence, you will will receive a formal warning in accordance with... This letter is being provided to you as a courtesy."

HOWEVER... she writes stuff on it and files in into the employee's file, which is what I have a problem with.

Doesn't sound like a warning letter to me.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
One of our 22.3 guys (actually a gal) is management pawn -- literally. Her job consists of talking to employees (in the presence of their steward) about their attendance, misloads, and other routine discipline stuff, and then she writes on the warning letter and puts it in the employees file. My BA sees nothing wrong with this... hmmm...

Wait you're telling me she pulls people into the office and disciplines them? And shes a union member?

I'd refuse to talk to her. She has no authority and can not force you to talk to her. If possible I'd also file a harassment grievance.

This is an easy issue to fix.... look in your Local's bylaws.

"FELLOW WORKER, YOU WILL NOW TAKE AN OBLIGATION THAT WILL BIND YOU TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION, AND THAT WILL IN NO WAY CONFLICT WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR YOUR DUTIES AS A CITIZEN:

I, (GIVE NAME) , PLEDGE MY HONOR TO FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LAWS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THE BY-LAWS AND LAWS OF THIS LOCAL UNION.

I PLEDGE THAT I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

I WILL FAITHFULLY PERFORM ALL THE DUTIES ASSIGNED TO ME TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND SKILL.

I WILL CONDUCT MYSELF AT ALL TIMES IN A MANNER AS NOT TO BRING REPROACH UPON MY UNION.

I SHALL TAKE AN AFFIRMATIVE PART IN THE BUSINESS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE UNION AND ACCEPT AND DISCHARGE MY RESPONSIBILITIES DURING ANY AUTHORIZED STRIKE OR LOCKOUT.

I PLEDGE NOT TO DIVULGE TO NON-MEMBERS THE PRIVATE BUSINESS OF THIS LOCAL UNION, UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO REVEAL SAME.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

I WILL REFRAIN FROM ANY CONDUCT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE UNION’S PERFORMANCE OF ITS LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

I WILL AT ALL TIMES BEAR TRUE AND FAITHFUL ALLEGIANCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION."

File charges with your Local Union Executive Board.

Problem solved.

-Bug-

10 point

This is an easy issue to fix.... look in your Local's bylaws.

"FELLOW WORKER, YOU WILL NOW TAKE AN OBLIGATION THAT WILL BIND YOU TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION, AND THAT WILL IN NO WAY CONFLICT WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEF OR YOUR DUTIES AS A CITIZEN:

I, (GIVE NAME) , PLEDGE MY HONOR TO FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LAWS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THE BY-LAWS AND LAWS OF THIS LOCAL UNION.

I PLEDGE THAT I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

I WILL FAITHFULLY PERFORM ALL THE DUTIES ASSIGNED TO ME TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND SKILL.

I WILL CONDUCT MYSELF AT ALL TIMES IN A MANNER AS NOT TO BRING REPROACH UPON MY UNION.

I SHALL TAKE AN AFFIRMATIVE PART IN THE BUSINESS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE UNION AND ACCEPT AND DISCHARGE MY RESPONSIBILITIES DURING ANY AUTHORIZED STRIKE OR LOCKOUT.

I PLEDGE NOT TO DIVULGE TO NON-MEMBERS THE PRIVATE BUSINESS OF THIS LOCAL UNION, UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO REVEAL SAME.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

I WILL REFRAIN FROM ANY CONDUCT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE UNION’S PERFORMANCE OF ITS LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

I WILL AT ALL TIMES BEAR TRUE AND FAITHFUL ALLEGIANCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION."

File charges with your Local Union Executive Board.

Problem solved.

-Bug-
Most hourly have never seen, heard, or been made aware of this pledge unless they were at the local meeting when new members were added.

This pledge should be made known to all new union members upon gaining seniority.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Most hourly have never seen, heard, or been made aware of this pledge unless they were at the local meeting when new members were added.

This pledge should be made known to all new union members upon gaining seniority.

Problem in this instance is that Bagels claims his local is OK with this program.

So why would we think charges with the local would bare fruit?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Am I the only one who sees the good that such a program could do? Peer to peer counseling without fear of discipline could go a long way in correcting a less than desirable situation before it escalates to where pen needs to be put to paper.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Am I the only one who sees the good that such a program could do? Peer to peer counseling without fear of discipline could go a long way in correcting a less than desirable situation before it escalates to where pen needs to be put to paper.
That is the stewards job, not some brown nosing, company suck :censored2:.
It need not ever be part of a 22.3's job duties.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Problem in this instance is that Bagels claims his local is OK with this program.

Bagels "claims", his BA is OK with it.

His BA, might not be a part of the Local's Executive Board.

If it is enough of a concern.... I have provided the avenue to rectify it.

So why would we think charges with the local would bare fruit?

If your Locals Executive Board renders a decision that is "unacceptable"....

You follow up, through the appeals process.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bagels "claims", his BA is OK with it.

His BA, might not be a part of the Local's Executive Board.

If it is enough of a concern.... I have provided the avenue to rectify it.

If your Locals Executive Board renders a decision that is "unacceptable"....

You follow up, through the appeals process.

-Bug-

You have provided an avenue.

So, this isn't an extra contractual agreement?

Why wouldn't they file a grievance and union charges.