Blessed but with heavy sacrifices

I've been at UPS (and married) for well over 30 years.
You do this job for that long because you make great money and have killer benefits for your family.
Yes, you absolutely give up a lot of family time, but for me it was worth it for my family to have everything they needed.

It's not for everyone. If you can survive on less pay, crappy benefits, and no pension, maybe he should move on.
Decide now tho, don't wait five years and give up. Good luck!
Things also get a little bit better when you get some seniority and some more time off

oldngray

nowhere special
BS troll with that avatar. Nice try @oldngray …..
Irish.gif

DriverNerd

My wife and I split up years ago and eventually got back together. My time at work really got to her (as we had young kids). She didn't care about my hours working before kids and now that the kids are (somewhat) older she tells me to go make the money when I text her it's going to be a late night. Being separated it really made us appreciate what the other did for each other that we neglected in the first place. Now we're stronger than we've ever been.

The point of the paragraph above: If you need someone to physically see more you need to separate or he needs a new job. There is no other way. Even on the 9.5 list (if it's honored) and calling in on weekends he's still looking at more than 50 hours per week. It's tiring, dirty and hot (or cold depending on the climate). It's a manual labor job that results in exhaustion sometimes.

UPS does not care about him, you, or your family. People put up with it because they get paid well and have awesome benefits. I know most drivers that get divorced had a wife that sounded like you. The ones that are married long term understand the job and appreciate what it gets them. You either have to adjust your thoughts/feelings or have him get a new job and adjust your finances.

DriverNerd

And if he does get a new job and you "work on your relationship" and you still end up divorced, realize it wasn't the job that was the reason your marriage failed, it was because of the two people (or one specifically) involved within it.

Pullman Brown

greetings to everyone in brown, and in my case, who’s down with brown and married to UPS through a committed spouse.
I’m grateful to have this platform to possibly gain clarification and support through this lifestyle of a family. I apologize, in advance, if I ask questions or have concerns that may possibly overstep boundaries. If I do please respectfully inform me and just know that I am going on two years of being married to UPS through my husband. I don’t know UPS that well so you can understand how my marriage is shifting closer and closer to not existing.

I was hoping to get help understanding some major issues that are frustrating both him and I and him trying to explain it to me frustrates the situation even more to the point where we don’t talk about anything but his work day because we’re not really talking about the issues that his work is causing.

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 224 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having no life and having no schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
What is the solution, or a process, to holding UPS responsible for completely ignoring the needs of their workers and families, other than the need for money and benefits? Why is not having a controlled climate in a vehicle that is operated in physically exhausting circumstances not important to UPS? Why is the mental health of the workers who are out there literally melting and baking all day long and returning home so tired and sore that they can’t make love to their wives or go play with the kids outside important to UPS? Why is not having two full back to back days at home to balance work and home life not important to UPS? Why is it that a contract can never be committed to but UPS expects their workers to be committed to the company? Does this get any better or is this just what everyone puts up with? My husband has worked very hard to get to be a Monday through Friday driver but he is being bullied and threatens to working on Saturdays and I wouldn’t even know that there was a union supporting any of the stuff that is always changing and is never what he supposed to be doing. It just seems like a lot of empty promises and nothing can ever be planned in our life ever. Tomorrow we had made plans to do something very very important for our relationship and now we can’t do it because he was threatened by his supervisor that if anyone called out tomorrow which is supposed to be a day off anyway that they would be terminated immediately. UPS is ruining my marriage and my family is not a family. What we thought it was going to be such a huge blessing, and it has been monetarily and financially for sure, has been at a cost of so many things we’ve had to sacrifice that now we have nothing left to sacrifice to UPS. How much more does UPS take before they actually give?

Just hold on until August 2023. The Union is aware of all these issues and many are confident that the six punch fiasco and excessive overtime can be improved upon. You have to understand that this contract that your husband is in is a bad one! He is dealing with unprecedented territory with trying to staff the weekend operations! It’s all new and this company didn’t negotiate in good faith! That said it gets better over time! Just hold on!

Cowboy Mac

greetings to everyone in brown, and in my case, who’s down with brown and married to UPS through a committed spouse.
I’m grateful to have this platform to possibly gain clarification and support through this lifestyle of a family. I apologize, in advance, if I ask questions or have concerns that may possibly overstep boundaries. If I do please respectfully inform me and just know that I am going on two years of being married to UPS through my husband. I don’t know UPS that well so you can understand how my marriage is shifting closer and closer to not existing.

I was hoping to get help understanding some major issues that are frustrating both him and I and him trying to explain it to me frustrates the situation even more to the point where we don’t talk about anything but his work day because we’re not really talking about the issues that his work is causing.

Here is a super fresh, still warm to the touch, problem with no solution… Yet. My husband started out as a 224 I believe or something like that and we went through that first year of just utter bowing down to the demands of UPS and having no life and having no schedule and was also during the Covid shut down and my industry was nonexistent so we were basically pulled in opposite directions as far as having a life together because I was at home going crazy wanting to work and he was constantly working and not at home much. That situation alone opens doors for a lot of other issues that maybe I will ask about later. For now The most pressing question I have is …
What is the solution, or a process, to holding UPS responsible for completely ignoring the needs of their workers and families, other than the need for money and benefits? Why is not having a controlled climate in a vehicle that is operated in physically exhausting circumstances not important to UPS? Why is the mental health of the workers who are out there literally melting and baking all day long and returning home so tired and sore that they can’t make love to their wives or go play with the kids outside important to UPS? Why is not having two full back to back days at home to balance work and home life not important to UPS? Why is it that a contract can never be committed to but UPS expects their workers to be committed to the company? Does this get any better or is this just what everyone puts up with? My husband has worked very hard to get to be a Monday through Friday driver but he is being bullied and threatens to working on Saturdays and I wouldn’t even know that there was a union supporting any of the stuff that is always changing and is never what he supposed to be doing. It just seems like a lot of empty promises and nothing can ever be planned in our life ever. Tomorrow we had made plans to do something very very important for our relationship and now we can’t do it because he was threatened by his supervisor that if anyone called out tomorrow which is supposed to be a day off anyway that they would be terminated immediately. UPS is ruining my marriage and my family is not a family. What we thought it was going to be such a huge blessing, and it has been monetarily and financially for sure, has been at a cost of so many things we’ve had to sacrifice that now we have nothing left to sacrifice to UPS. How much more does UPS take before they actually give?
Your husband needs to file harassment against this manager. He needs to go into work as instructed and file a grievance saying he was singled out and that management didn’t force in drivers in seniority order. He was coerced into coming into work on his scheduled day off under threats of termination, while some junior drivers got the day off (I guarantee you more than one junior driver doesn’t show up).

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You hot or a mess?

FozziesDeliveries

This contract is a mess. Drivers are getting forced 6 punches continuously and left out all day. I feel like alot of us are burned out heading into peak, but other centers have been doing this 6 punch abuse alot longer. UPS talks about improving the work life balance but that just seems to be talk or its not enforced in all the levels of management. There has been some solid advice in here, @CLTUPSwifey it sounds your husbands management team is playing the harassment and abuse game. Very common at this company. They can't fire him for a single call off, that is some blatant intimidation tactics.
Screenshot_20221002_105324.jpg

If you guys have plans your husband can just call off, we are allowed so many before they start off with any form of discipline. Also your husband should get in contact with his union steward and keel him updated on this kind of garbage and see what his steward says, then document and file grievences. Like others have mentioned we are getting a new contract next summer so it would be worth holding out to atleast see what changes.