Boeing votes no to union

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's my point these folks had they voted for the Union would more likely get paid pretty much the same as their Washington counterparts.
That is interesting.
I would rather work in a non-Union environment as an hourly but if in management, I would rather it be Unionized.
But only if the benefits are the same or very close.
There is a $10 differential per hour although not paying Union dues and a much lower cost of living helps to ease the pain, and of course lower tax rate.

It would be interesting to see if that $10 (by a reliable analysis group) is not just about the same for the workers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes , but as much as you would think for what it really cost

I think there is only maybe a 50 cents different across the us, right now in Cali we make 36.03

We are at $33.62 here but that is because we voted to divert several of our split raises to our ailing pension fund.

Didn't help.

Indecisi0n

If the company is treating their employees fair there is no need for a union. However, we all know the larger the company the less likely this is to happen which is why most employees of large corporations need a union.

MAKAVELI

That is interesting.
I would rather work in a non-Union environment as an hourly but if in management, I would rather it be Unionized.
There is a $10 differential per hour although not paying Union dues and a much lower cost of living helps to ease the pain, and of course lower tax rate.

It would be interesting to see if that $10 (by a reliable analysis group) is not just about the same for the workers.
Dues usually pay for themselves when considering the difference in wages and benefits. I'd rather deal with increased taxes for the opportunity to make more $, benefits and security of a union job vs a non union job.

Indecisi0n

That is interesting.

When a manager no longer likes you or your performance and fires you then how much are you making an hour?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When a manager no longer likes you or your performance and fires you then how much are you making an hour?
Anybody with any sense takes care of their manager and doesn't screw around with them.
Most management I knew who came from the NE and Chicago area hated the employees who took advantage of the Union ... not the Union.
You work at UPS which is a harsh and unfriendly environment.
The Union drives a wedge between the company and the employees to strengthen their position.

I worked at 4 other companies other than UPS ... all non-union ... and they were great places to work.
Also, at UPS, I worked in a non-union environment for 20 years ... totally different company where people cared for each other. Still a place where a lot is expected of you but not like a Union workplace.

It is what it is.

You work at UPS which is a harsh and unfriendly environment.
The Union drives a wedge between the company and the employees to strengthen their position.
I worked at 4 other companies other than UPS ... all non-union ... and they were great places to work.
Also, at UPS, I worked in a non-union environment for 20 years ... totally different company where people cared for each other. Still a place where a lot is expected of you but not like a Union workplace.

It is what it is.
Nobody cares, since we went public.

rod

Retired 22 years
You mean since the 1997 strike?
Those two seminal events are forever intertwined in the history of UPS.
We'll never know but if the 1997 strike had not occurred, UPS may have not gone public.

Going public was going to happen one way or the other at some time. There was just too much $$$$ floating around to keep greed out of it.

I always liked the job itself. It was management who made it impossible to do to their expectations.
You have been retired for awhile now. Things are way different now. Yes they were always ignorant but people wasn't getting fired for stupid stuff. You could go tell them to friend* off in the morning, then see them at the bar after work and not talk shop.

rod

Retired 22 years
You have been retired for awhile now. Things are way different now. Yes they were always ignorant but people wasn't getting fired for stupid stuff. You could go tell them to friend* off in the morning, then see them at the bar after work and not talk shop.

I know--I'm out of touch with what goes on now. Upstate keeps me informed about that. You don't need to chime in.