Brownbailout is Working

Overpaid Union Thug

half the pay? same hours? really? help me with the math. lets even aim high to give you the benefit of the doubt. $35/hr x 40 hrs= $1400. 52.50 x 10 =525.00 so that would be roughly $2000 to $2400 per week. hmmm. no, I think i still come out on top. and for your own good, don't call the judge a "whacko" when they pull you over for speeding in your general lee wannabee.

35 hours?! Yeah it sounds like RPS OOOOPS sorry I mean "FedEx Ground" is really rockin there. LOL! Everyone knows that average take home pay is much much less than UPS drivers. And sometimes even less than FedEx drivers.

Judges pull people over? Never heard of that happening before. Do they wear their robes while they are running speed traps? And what does "general lee" have to do with anything? Lay off the poison mushrooms for a while.

FedEx courier

Well you guys at UPS should know that most FedEx employees don't feel the way that FedEx is trying to portray us. Many people working around me know that this brownbailout campaign is completely deceitful and FedEx management is totally behind it. You guys should know that most of us have a respect for you at UPS and hope you feel the same way about us.

bbsam

Staff member
35 hours?! Yeah it sounds like RPS OOOOPS sorry I mean "FedEx Ground" is really rockin there. LOL! Everyone knows that average take home pay is much much less than UPS drivers. And sometimes even less than FedEx drivers.

Judges pull people over? Never heard of that happening before. Do they wear their robes while they are running speed traps? And what does "general lee" have to do with anything? Lay off the poison mushrooms for a while.
i'm not average. and i don[t put in anywhere 35 hour per week. and i would say my take home pay is slightly less than the estimate i made of you hourly pay. general lee merely a reference to being below the mason dixon line. you do know what that is, don't you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well you guys at UPS should know that most FedEx employees don't feel the way that FedEx is trying to portray us. Many people working around me know that this brownbailout campaign is completely deceitful and FedEx management is totally behind it. You guys should know that most of us have a respect for you at UPS and hope you feel the same way about us.

Well said. There is little support for Brownbailout.com among hourly FedEx workers, and many managers also think it's a joke. It makes me ashamed that my company would stoop that low.

And bbsam, things have not gone well for FedEx in the legal arena this last week, have they? While I generally agree with you that Fred will attempt to shift Express volume over to Ground, how is he going to accomplish it if the Ground model is judged to be illegal? Don't forget all of the lawsuits waiting in the wings over on the Express side too. It's hard to remain Master of the Shipping Universe if you're constantly writing multi-million dollar checks to settle legal claims. They're going to lose the Age Discrimination case, and for once, I hope the attorneys choose to refuse an out of court settlement. You don't work for Express, but there's a reason the BPP program was instituted and a reason why it disappeared. It will all come out in court. I'm hoping for a nice fat settlement check.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i'm not average. and i don[t put in anywhere 35 hour per week. and i would say my take home pay is slightly less than the estimate i made of you hourly pay. general lee merely a reference to being below the mason dixon line. you do know what that is, don't you?

Prove it. Including the cost of the vehicle, gasoline, FedEx "costume" (can't call it a uniform) ;) and all of the intangibles of being an Independent Contractor. I highly doubt your takehome pay is 65-85k a year minus state/federal taxes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Prove it. Including the cost of the vehicle, gasoline, FedEx "costume" (can't call it a uniform) ;) and all of the intangibles of being an Independent Contractor. I highly doubt your takehome pay is 65-85k a year minus state/federal taxes.

He's a multiple IC, and probably makes much more than the average UPS driver. This is how he does it. By paying his drivers peanuts, he's able to skim enough off the top of his operation to turn a decent profit. His drivers get no benefits, no pension, and probably no overtime either. It's an exploitative system, but it works because that's how FedEx designed it to work. As long as you can find drivers who will work for $500-$750 per week, their routes generate enough profit to make a good living for the multiple IC operator. If he suddenly had to pay a living wage, the house of cards would topple, and he'd be upside-down on his investment and out of business in a hurry.

This is how FedEx operates, and it's shameful. I neither condone this system nor the IC's who subscribe to and profit from it. It's just wrong.

bbsam

Staff member
that's right, 65-85k is a little low for a net amount. 85 may be net on the low side. as mrfedex pointed out, i am a multiple route owner and thus when i say i put far less than 35 hrs per week i mean it. as far as the drivers making such a horrible living, let's not start acting like upsers give a rat's butt about their well being. if up could put everyone at fedex out of work tomorrow they would do it in a heartbeat. and mrfedex's concern is not for them, but for his well founded perception that ground could continue to take his work from him.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
that's right, 65-85k is a little low for a net amount. 85 may be net on the low side. as mrfedex pointed out, i am a multiple route owner and thus when i say i put far less than 35 hrs per week i mean it. as far as the drivers making such a horrible living, let's not start acting like upsers give a rat's butt about their well being. if up could put everyone at fedex out of work tomorrow they would do it in a heartbeat. and mrfedex's concern is not for them, but for his well founded perception that ground could continue to take his work from him.

Please don't put words in my mouth, because I do feel concern for Ground drivers getting less than they deserve. As to having my work taken away, I blame FedEx upper management, not bbsam or the IC's.

Overpaid Union Thug

He's a multiple IC, and probably makes much more than the average UPS driver. This is how he does it. By paying his drivers peanuts, he's able to skim enough off the top of his operation to turn a decent profit. His drivers get no benefits, no pension, and probably no overtime either. It's an exploitative system, but it works because that's how FedEx designed it to work. As long as you can find drivers who will work for $500-$750 per week, their routes generate enough profit to make a good living for the multiple IC operator. If he suddenly had to pay a living wage, the house of cards would topple, and he'd be upside-down on his investment and out of business in a hurry.

This is how FedEx operates, and it's shameful. I neither condone this system nor the IC's who subscribe to and profit from it. It's just wrong.

Yeah the story behind this guy is slowly coming together. He comes on here talking smack about FedEx (the real FedEx) and the RLA but he's doesn't even work for FedEx nor does the RLA even affect his "FedEx Ground." He's one of those contractors that subcontracts other drivers to run his routes for him and he rakes in the dough while the poor guys that work for him struggle. Sounds just like a guy in my area. In another thread I mentioned how grumpy the contractors here are. Well, it's because contractor life isn't what they were told it would be. It's people like this guy (bbsam) and Fred S that exploit people by lying to them by painting the false picture that being a contractor is all great but once they get their foot in the door that fantasy world comes crashing down on them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I'm sorry, only read a page or two and didn't get the full background story.

bbsam

Staff member
do you get it yet, big arrow? do you see yet how the rla affects ground? stop playing checkers and start playing chess. the rla matters to ground because express and ground are both pieces on the board that fred gets to move.

HappyP

I normally don't post on the board, just usually read to see other UPSers views. But, I felt compelled to comment on this thread. I am sorry, but who in their right mind would think that being an independent contractor with no benefits and making 80K a year is better than working for a company where you have benefits, pension, 401K plan, etc. My goodness, the medcial benefits alone are valuable especially when you have a family to consider. $80K a year is nothing when you have to pay for everything and have nothing to fall back on. Please do keep believing in Mr. Smith, he will take you to great places and when you find yourself needing a job in 5 years, you can always go to upsjobs.com and be put on the waiting list to become one of our drivers. Then you will understand what it means to have security and stability. Yes, we have a union but what you fail to realize is that if Fedex employees were as happy as they claim to be and don't want the union, then they have nothing to worry about. The union still has to be voted on and if everyone is all peachy, then life won't change at Fedex right??????? guess not, because Fred wouldn't be pulling out all the punches. https://web.archive.org/web/20090209225326/http://fedexwatch.com/

Go Brown, classy and taking the high road as usual. Guess that is why through this turmoil we still have some stability.

bbsam

Staff member
I normally don't post on the board, just usually read to see other UPSers views. But, I felt compelled to comment on this thread. I am sorry, but who in their right mind would think that being an independent contractor with no benefits and making 80K a year is better than working for a company where you have benefits, pension, 401K plan, etc. My goodness, the medcial benefits alone are valuable especially when you have a family to consider. $80K a year is nothing when you have to pay for everything and have nothing to fall back on. Please do keep believing in Mr. Smith, he will take you to great places and when you find yourself needing a job in 5 years, you can always go to upsjobs.com and be put on the waiting list to become one of our drivers. Then you will understand what it means to have security and stability. Yes, we have a union but what you fail to realize is that if Fedex employees were as happy as they claim to be and don't want the union, then they have nothing to worry about. The union still has to be voted on and if everyone is all peachy, then life won't change at Fedex right??????? guess not, because Fred wouldn't be pulling out all the punches. https://web.archive.org/web/20090209225326/http://fedexwatch.com/

Go Brown, classy and taking the high road as usual. Guess that is why through this turmoil we still have some stability.
welcome aboard, happy. i won't go into too many details, but my vehicles and health insurance among other items are business expenses so naturally they they aren't included in the 65-85k number. remember that the tax codes are written to benefit businesses. personally, i think fred fighting the rla exemption is more of a stall tactic than anything. and although this is going to shock you, i am not anti-union. i just don't see their effectiveness anymore. thank-you for the upsjobs suggestion, but i really don't see myself ending up back there again. what you guys do looks too much like work.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,I feel bad for you.Once you guys go union,you're going to be on the street.
thank-you, mungrin, for your concerns but you are so far out of the loop that i will not even begin to explain them to you. i suggest you read some previous posts because you obviously have no idea what youare talking about on the subject.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
do you get it yet, big arrow? do you see yet how the rla affects ground? stop playing checkers and start playing chess. the rla matters to ground because express and ground are both pieces on the board that fred gets to move.

I usually don't agree with you, but the chess analogy is a good one. Whatever happens to Ground has ramifications at Express and vice-versa. Fred can't make his next move until RLA is resolved.

bbsam

Staff member
"bbsam".....you are exposed. Just give up already! UPS good. RPS bad. You don't work for FedEx. That's all anyone needs to know.
i will take that as a "no" you don't get it. maybe you and mungrin can work it out together--no, probably not. drive truck stop truck deliver package drive truck stop truct pickup package. that's all you need to know.:happy2: