Cameras in the cab?

10 point

I talked to a Sysco (food service) driver a few days ago and he said they had cameras installed in the cab to watch the drivers. He said one driver got suspended a day for cell phone useage while drivng.
If they're organized by the Teamsters and under a Teamsters neg. contract why is this allowed?
I heard the cameras were tried in Florida UPS vehicles and then got nixed. Any info available?

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

My thoughts is the company would love them. Again another "safety feature" that will cut off their nose to spite their face. Need to check that map again? Pull over. Forgot what number address you were going to? Pull over. Etc.

joey h

I'm from Tampa Florida they say they aren't cameras even though that's what they look like but if they were the drivers always cover them up but ups considers that defacing property ..

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

I'm from Tampa Florida they say they aren't cameras even though that's what they look like but if they were the drivers always cover them up but ups considers that defacing property ..

Sent using BrownCafe App
Are they built into the rear view monitors or separate?
Have they tried to use any video for discipline or was that grieved? You said they denied that they were cameras.
Thx for the input.

alwaysoverallowed

This is over supervision. Making sure we aren't using or phones or diads' is one thing but you know they won't stop at that. They will start using it for not following methods, ie scanning/checking mirrors, and that's some stress I don't need with my poorly planned dispatch.

brett636

A lot of companies unfortunately put cameras inside and outside their trucks. I'd say its only a matter of time before we get them, and I would bet money that over supervision will become a big problem if they are instituted. Most supervisors and managers are simply too busy to watch every driver all the time for every little infraction they may or may not commit, but say you are the unlucky person with a poorly planned route that goes over allowed everyday or day you have a disagreement with your supervisor and all of a sudden you find yourself getting written up for not using three points of contact or using your cell phone in the cab. Without access to all the other driver's video its hard to prove that you are being picked on when in fact you are. Honestly I see little extra information the company has to learn from cameras inside the trucks that they don't already get from telematics. Its just another tool that will be instituted to help make harassment a little less conspicuous.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is being proposed by the railroads right now. I would imagine that is where the Teamsters will get the language and what is allowed and not allowed.