Can Anything be Done About the Runners?

Dangler

Banned
In my Center Runners have taken over. These aren’t the kind of guys that just run through their routes either; they’re :censored2:s to customers, don’t ring doorbells, drive fast by pedestrians, leave small packages at the garage, you name it. They’ll cut every corner to get done early, while putting excessive mileage on their routes to get a better time allowance, and then claim they work the hardest in the building because they’re usually 200+ clicks under.

Normally, I just recognize these Drivers for being the losers they are and move on, but lately I’ve been being asked to help, which I’m normally happy to do, while the Center lets our Runners go home at 1530. The other day we had Runners go home pre-1600 only to have an On-Car get forced on road later that evening to make service.
The newer Drivers are getting totally abused because they’re getting the volume the Runners should be getting. This is bothering me quite a bit.
I like putting in a solid day’s work, and if another Driver is struggling, especially a new one, I do not mind helping, but getting gamed by a bunch of :censored2:-bags (the Runners) is troubling.

In my Center the Runners are confrontational and super whiney, so they always get their way. Is it possible to grieve their guarantee if you have higher seniority? Can it be grieved if you’re sent to help, but the lower seniority Driver next to the Driver you’re helping punched out at 1530?

Sorry if I’m ignorant about this stuff. When I first started we had old-timer Stewards that were awesome and I took them for granted and now don’t know anything.

Thanks.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
if they are mostly cover drivers then you might want to see if people want to bump them off route. most people just do whatever they are told but here at least you can make written requests to be trained to cover routes that you don't normally do. I can rack a runner's assigned work up 3 or more hours and never see the light of day going home. I have management who think I steal time because I hold down a vacation week route solid without any complaints and then immediately crap all over their operations next week and every saturday.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Mangement is also very likely not actively trying to do this. they just see x drivers on the clock and send them to bail out x other drivers. I don't see anything you can do except to fuel the fire even harder make the company pay the runners for their 8 hour guarantee and for the extra time delivering a larger majority or packages the correct way and intentionally bumping into crappy routes would be the means of doing this.

Thebrownblob

The problem will eventually handle itself. Many of them will get injured and eventually not be able to do the job, The other ones will probably eventually have accidents and lose their jobs. Those that remain will probably figure out being a runner is a short term solution to a long-term job.

Dangler

Banned
The problem will eventually handle itself. Many of them will get injured and eventually not be able to do the job, The other ones will probably eventually have accidents and lose their jobs. Those that remain will probably figure out being a runner is a short term solution to a long-term job.
That’s how it should work in theory, but that’s not what happens in reality. We have guys that have been running 10+ years that get treated like babies while higher seniority Drivers are getting screwed because they don’t run and kiss management’s ass.

It seems ridiculous that this is allowed to happen in a Union shop, and most Union guys I talk to think it’s crazy too that extra work is not given out in seniority order.

The idea that the way to solve this problem is to just stay out longer —stealing time most likely— and then file a 9.5 is stupid because, 1 the company doesn’t seem to mind paying these out, and secondly out brings up back to the point of how in a Union company extra work is not given out in seniority order.

Literally, all my friends in the trades are constantly asking me “I thought you were Union?” when I tell them about having to stay out late helping while lower seniority Drivers are at home.

If UPS Drivers are this big of pushovers it’s starting to make sense why management thinks we’re a joke and lower seniority Drivers get whatever they want.

Dangler

Banned
Heard a rabbit complain about having 50 more stops than others in his loop this morning.
Played yourself like a fool, I thought.
The opposite happens in my Center. The Runner throws a fit, his face turns all red, he starts yelling about working harder than everybody else, and then goes out with 120 stops and punches at 1530.

Dangler

Banned
Sounds like you are mad because someone clocked out before you. File 9.5 and worry about yourself.
Either you’re Runner or you have not yet figured out the company is all about smoke and mirrors and that management can, and does, game their numbers.

I used to hang out with an On-Car and she said all center management laughed at Drivers who stay out late to retaliate on management. She said they thought it was funny that these guys still hadn’t figured out the only person who cared that they were out late was their wives.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1660390830143.png

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Because the way it works now is. It’s easier to bitch and cry to get what you want rather than file grievances. The company prefers neither. But it seems they rather not listen to you bitch more than deal with grievances.

UPSER1987

Either you’re Runner or you have not yet figured out the company is all about smoke and mirrors and that management can, and does, game their numbers.

I used to hang out with an On-Car and she said all center management laughed at Drivers who stay out late to retaliate on management. She said they thought it was funny that these guys still hadn’t figured out the only person who cared that they were out late was their wives.
100% true. No one cares if you don’t have a life and want to stay out late. Just be sure to turn off the lights when you leave lol.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

mind games.
The person that cares most about me staying out late is the on cars and my center manager. and all the time wasted was their own doing. I literally work the same way every day. who cares if I lost time. they lost time. it's mf war!!!

nWo

Don't worry about what time the other guy clocks out. Do your route safely then go home. You will save yourself a lot of stress by not giving a :censored2:.

Iamsomebody

mind games.
The person that cares most about me staying out late is the on cars and my center manager. and all the time wasted was their own doing. I literally work the same way every day. who cares if I lost time. they lost time. it's mf war!!!
Unless overallowed is a big problem in your building or you are bring back missed pieces you are fighting a losing battle. They don't care. In my building the on cars are all gone by 6:00 if not earlier.

UPSER1987

Unless overallowed is a big problem in your building or you are bring back missed pieces you are fighting a losing battle. They don't care. In my building the on cars are all gone by 6:00 if not earlier.
If you REALLY want to get managements attention, have an accident/injury after 6pm. That actually does work lol.

The Range

In too deep
Who cares what pace someone else works? In this regard, mind your business. Blaming them for your problems is misplaced. Blame management and yourself for being an egomaniac and thinking you have the right to dictate how other people work.