Can RPCD's be forced to work weekends during peak?

Rolling Thunder

As usual, the contract language seems vague. Did anyone see anything that states whether or not RPCd's have the right to refuse weekend work during peak? The past two years my center's management team has told us they were "forcing" us in on Saturdays in December when, in fact, the old contract stated that weekend work was volunteer. Just trying to figure out if we will be able to see our families at all during December for the next 4 years. Thanks

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
First, the contract is for five years. Second, RPCD is an acronym that will disappear with the 22.4 language after the next round of negotiations, so you can call the position ground driver. But to answer your question, weekend work is a matter of supplemental language, so you'll have to look at yours. If there is nothing in the language, then the company is only limited by state and federal law, as well as DOT regulations. In general it's offered from the top down, forced from the bottom up.

Jackofnotrades

We have to stay well ahead of FedX. I don't think it is right for any of us to refuse weekend work during peak. We would get back logged way to quick and you are putting the pressure all on your fellow teamsters who don't have the seniority to say no for weekends. Might as well get the overtime now before it is forced 8.5. Everyone hates the overtime until its taken away and your shopping sprees are cut down sense most live well above there means.
But the question is are we going to have enough pre and unload part timers to cover the weekends

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We have to stay well ahead of FedX. I don't think it is right for any of us to refuse weekend work during peak. We would get back logged way to quick and you are putting the pressure all on your fellow teamsters who don't have the seniority to say no for weekends. Might as well get the overtime now before it is forced 8.5. Everyone hates the overtime until its taken away and your shopping sprees are cut down sense most live well above there means.
But the question is are we going to have enough pre and unload part timers to cover the weekends
I could give a rats ass about fedex. Weekends are for spending time with my family if I’m out til 10 or 11 five nights a week, along with my body being able to recover. Now quit skipping your lunch.

rebel87

As usual, the contract language seems vague. Did anyone see anything that states whether or not RPCd's have the right to refuse weekend work during peak? The past two years my center's management team has told us they were "forcing" us in on Saturdays in December when, in fact, the old contract stated that weekend work was volunteer. Just trying to figure out if we will be able to see our families at all during December for the next 4 years. Thanks
Proposed contract states you will not regularly scheduled to work Sat. Which means UPS will schedule you to work every Sat from Thanksgiving to Jan 15. Simple fix for UPS is to hire more drivers. Vote no the language in this proposed contract sucks.

Tony Q

Sure, if they have hours available. If you have 62.5 hours in the new contract that you are willing to strike over they can NOT work you.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We were told in PCM
Just figure on working Saturdays through peak
There you go, folks
19B358AA-75BA-4C86-8ACE-21A61914AFB5.gif

I could give a rats ass about fedex. Weekends are for spending time with my family if I’m out til 10 or 11 five nights a week, along with my body being able to recover. Now quit skipping your lunch.
Funny, that’s what retailers said about amazon. I’ll bet you hadn’t even heard of amazon in 1995.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

For over a century UPS has managed peaks without weekend deliveries during peak and not getting "back logged" (weather issues excluded.) What makes you think its now suddenly different? I am being very serious here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS has these new (and some old timers) so wound up that they feel like they HAVE to skip lunch or breaks... I know guys will put the driving time to and from the building as break or lunch....oh hell no, can I pimp slap their ass now for doing that. The diads need to be shut off during breaks and lunch and no personal time on the drive to and from the building... 0 tolerating that.. you get one warning them your done!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
For over a century UPS has managed peaks without weekend deliveries during peak and not getting "back logged" (weather issues excluded.) What makes you think its now suddenly different? I am being very serious here.
Dog and pony show... it’s ALL about staffing the operations properly....which they can’t do during the normal time of year let alone at peak...

SameRightsForAll

Thanks for signing up vocally in front of thousands of UPSers reading your post, that you are the first in line for Saturday and "Sunday Service" which won't be at your church, that's for sure. Your kind bid won't go unnoticed and I'm sure there's a cardboard plaque coming to you in the near future. You heard it guys, he wants to work Sundays.