Can RPCD's be forced to work weekends during peak?

Tony Q

They have not done it here. Last year Sat was on a voluntary basis. Some worked, some didnt but it was the employees decision.
DOT law is for truck drivers that run a couple stops a day not for a package car driver running 200 stops a day and lifting packages up to 150 pds. This contract will be voted down big time and this is 1 of the reasons. Why not hire more seasonal drivers and driver helpers at a discounted rate?
Just because they didn’t do it doesn’t mean they couldn’t. Now there is language to combat it.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Just because they didn’t do it doesn’t mean they couldn’t. Now there is language to combat it.
No there isn’t. You are allowing a seventy hour work week, which is the maximum allowed by law. Do you not see how much this doesn’t help?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Now we have language on the issue. A lot of people were abused and now there is double time on the issue and if you don’t have 8 hours they can force you to work. Even an unreasonable person has to see this.
Ohhhhhh double time, that will make the multi billion dollar corporate giant tremble! Lmao.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Now we have language on the issue. A lot of people were abused and now there is double time on the issue and if you don’t have 8 hours they can force you to work. Even an unreasonable person has to see this.
I see a grievance. They won’t be able to honor your regular work schedule

Froome

What language do you have in the 804 to prevent thr 6th day and the day after Thanksgiving? Just curious, I want to get that in our supplement.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yes let’s pay them a million dollars per shift!! Lmao!! Unreasonable entitled turd
Yes and lmao dude.
I wish I had a million dollars.
how come I cannot pay rent.
why are part time shifts 7 hours long and full time shifts 13 hours long.
all of these and more on: real life.

Froome

We got screwed last year. We were all forced to come on Sats during peak and the day after Thanksgiving. I filed a few grievances when they would let a less senior go home before me. Because of a snow storm, they claimed emergency conditions and tried to intimidate people to work one Sunday as well during peak.
Can't wait for this peak!

Undertow

They have not done it here. Last year Sat was on a voluntary basis. Some worked, some didnt but it was the employees decision.
DOT law is for truck drivers that run a couple stops a day not for a package car driver running 200 stops a day and lifting packages up to 150 pds. This contract will be voted down big time and this is 1 of the reasons. Why not hire more seasonal drivers and driver helpers at a discounted rate?
I'd agree about the DOT law. From a health and practicality standpoint, it's being grossly distorted. There's certain areas from coast to coast where drivers weren't forced into a 6th punch, but that doesn't mean they weren't subject to pressure and/or coercion when saying "No Thanks" to bail management out of the usual mess they created entirely on their own.

More seasonal drivers and helpers? It might work here and there, but in my area the seasonal hires by far have been the absolute least reliable employees and often bail out well before the halfway point of peak arrives. Experience counts and the vast majority of the temporary help has little or none of it to handle the chaotic conditions that are now guaranteed to be part of that time of the year.

I said it at the end of last year and I think it still goes for many others - Upper management lost the hearts and minds of too many of the committed hourlies with how badly they botched the 2017 peak and the morale killing mess that was Saturday deliveries and they risk losing nearly everybody if they keep trying to cram these ill conceived ideas and botched rollouts onto the already taxed workforce instead of fixing many of the problems that already demand attention. My building lost a lot of strong package car drivers since January because so many of them simply weren't willing to stomach another year like 2017 and had zero confidence in the managers to address issues that were and continue to be routinely ignored.

Roughly a year or two later and we are still in the same dysfunctional mess where chronic understaffing is again the norm and DIAD batteries are still too weak to handle a 10 hour day much less the 12+ some get stuck with. There was a grudging willingness among the rank and file here to save upper management from themselves and bail the company out from the glut that their collective ineptitude produced after Thanksgiving 2017. Won't happen this year. The goodwill and patience has run out. They botch it this peak (and nothing to this point suggests they learned anything from last year) then it's going to be a mess well into January with even more acrimony.