Cell Phone recommendations

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
It is time for new phones at our house. I'm with Verizion have have been for over 10 years and have been happy with their service and price. The only phone that didn't last 2 years was a Motorola W315 & that was my wife's, battery issues. The LG & Samsung phones worked fine for me & took the UPS beating and kept on ticking.

I don't need a qwerty keyboard cause I don't text. I do like the camera features just in case.

Can the experts here help me?

Channahon

I have Verizon and a Motorola phone which I hate, and would never recommend. I just changed my husband's plan and he got an LG 5500, which is a nice compact phone, that has all the features he needs. He doesn't text either, and the phone has built in GPS and emergency contact numbers, highligted in RED text on the contact list, which is a nice feature.
Depending on your plan and service contract, you may get it for free.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have an LG, hubby has the Motorola. I like his as it has the ICE numbers right on the phone. Push I or C or E as a speed dial. Don't have to go looking for an emergency contact number. Mine has the ICE contacts at the top of my contacts list. MY LG has been beat to death and it still works. I've dropped it out of the truck, even.

I used to have a Motorola V551 flip phone, pretty tough phone. I dropped that dang thang a hundred times if I dropped it once in the 4 years that I used it. The hinge finally go to when it wouldn't close all the way.
Now I have a Nokia 6102i, it's pretty tough too (looks alot like the Motorola) but I don't like the intricacies of how it works. The ear speaker has to aligned perfectly with my ear for me to hear it at all. The ringer isn't loud enough most of the time.
That's all I got.

UPSNewbie

I'm with AT&T, so I have no knowledge of Verizon, but the phones: Motorola somewhat sucks. They fall apart after not too long. I got my LG Shine back in Sept. and it's working longer than any Motorola I ever had.

W

westsideworma

I have the LG Chocolate 3 (VX8560) and it works well for me. I bought the silicone case for it and its stood up to everything I've been throwing at it at UPS. It's big selling point is its a music phone. It serves that purpose rather well, but you sound like you probably don't need/want that. It's also nice and loud too if you need that sort of thing. Its not free like the other LG recommended, but in my experience you can't go wrong with any of Verizon's LG phones. I bought a motorola once and couldn't stand it, switched back to LG when phone upgrade time came around.

No such person

Southern Ct.
Also have a Casio g-zone. Absolutely bulletproof. Dropped mine in a river last summer, no problem. Even had it bounce off the dash and out of the truck, no problem.

smf0605

I love, love, love my Blackberry Curve. Verizon just started a new feature - Friends & Family. Depending on the plan you have, you can add up to 10 numbers (cell or landline) that are non-verizon numbers and they don't get charged against your plan minutes.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Also have a Casio g-zone. Absolutely bulletproof. Dropped mine in a river last summer, no problem. Even had it bounce off the dash and out of the truck, no problem.

This same thing just happened to me! I switched to Verizon last month and got the same phone. I missed my shirt pocket and it hit the floor and it bounced out in the street. Didn't hurt it at all. Verizon threw in a car and phone chargers, an extra battery, and a wireless earpiece. I love it.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Casio G-zone.. water and shock resistant.. I love mine.

This same thing just happened to me! I switched to Verizon last month and got the same phone. I missed my shirt pocket and it hit the floor and it bounced out in the street. Didn't hurt it at all. Verizon threw in a car and phone chargers, an extra battery, and a wireless earpiece. I love it.

I have the same one in the Burnt Orange color. I will say the same. Shock/Water/Dust proof. Built to military specs. Just the phone I needed for the abuse I will give it. I got my 2 sons the same phone also and we love it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Motorola phones are very short-lived, in my experience. I am not hard on phones. I don't drop them, they don't get wet. I carry mine in a case in the summer and in my pocked in the winter.

I get a free phone and then it is replaced under warranty until I am due for another free one. For me, even a free Motorola is not worth the aggravation of having to replace it.

In the analog days, I had a casio and it was bulletproof. It was not a flip phone and the keyboard was able to be locked, so no pocket calls.

I long for the simpler days of yesteryear.

TB

JustTired

free at last.......
I've had a LG vx8300 for 3 years now and it works like new. Never any issues. My wife has a LG env2 and it is a good phone once you upgrade to version 7 of the firmware.

We have the "Sync" system in our new vehicle. While my phone always connects (8300), the wifes would not connect until the upgrade. Now, all is well.

A tip especially for those with Motorola Rzrs. If the battery seems to discharge after a short period of time, shut down the phone and remove the battery for a minute or so. Then reinsert and charge the phone. Don't know why but it seems to reset the battery to a more normal charge time.

I keep getting notices that I can upgrade my 8300. But I see no reason to do so. It does everything I need. Why fix something that isn't broken?