Chili Bowl

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
I'm really tired of Larson.
I'm tired of him coming here to PA and kicking Posse ass lol. But what he's doing is nothing short of remarkable. I saw a good bit of Kinser and Swindell in their prime. I was a teen and saw a bit of Wolfgang at his best. I don't know, with Larson doing it in winged, midgets, lates and Nascar it's pretty unprecedented in the modern era.

rod

Retired 22 years
You have to admit he is a VERY talented driver but I tend to get bored after awhile if any one driver wins all the time. I'm a sprint car follower and go to Knoxville for the Nationals every year for 12 days of sprint car racing. I got tired of seeing Steve Kinser winning all the time and then Donny Shatz. It's always exciting to see the best get beat.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Awesome man, glad to run into a fellow dirt fan! I've been to Knoxville 6 times. My introduction to the place was 1990 and Allen pulling off his upset win. But I don't know if anything will top Johnson beating Shatz.
I was a lifelong Fred Rahmer fan, so I know about people hating on a winner lol. I get it. Shatz and Sweet, they are as good as anyone, but boring really. Which is a testament to how smooth they are.
So I take it you do the Iron man and all that leading up to the Nationals? Definitely a bucket list for me. I think I'm going to do the Smackdown at Kokomo this summer.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Awesome man, glad to run into a fellow dirt fan! I've been to Knoxville 6 times. My introduction to the place was 1990 and Allen pulling off his upset win. But I don't know if anything will top Johnson beating Shatz.
I was a lifelong Fred Rahmer fan, so I know about people hating on a winner lol. I get it. Shatz and Sweet, they are as good as anyone, but boring really. Which is a testament to how smooth they are.
So I take it you do the Iron man and all that leading up to the Nationals? Definitely a bucket list for me. I think I'm going to do the Smackdown at Kokomo this summer.
TMI

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been a dirt fan since 1963. I live a mile away from our local track and I'm there every Saturday night I'm in town during the summer (which is most of them). Unfortunately our local track only runs the sprint cars once a year. The WoO have been here twice but the track owner says it's just too expensive to get them. He said it was $85,000 to get on their schedule PLUS they get a % of the concessions. I've been to Knoxville the last 29 years.

rod

Retired 22 years
1642053743702.png

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
You have to admit he is a VERY talented driver but I tend to get bored after awhile if any one driver wins all the time. I'm a sprint car follower and go to Knoxville for the Nationals every year for 12 days of sprint car racing. I got tired of seeing Steve Kinser winning all the time and then Donny Shatz. It's always exciting to see the best get beat.

Through the years I have heard of promoters saying about the same thing as far as fighting, do It on the front stretch in front of fans and it's all good, do it in the pits and you'll be kicked out lol.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
I've been a dirt fan since 1963. I live a mile away from our local track and I'm there every Saturday night I'm in town during the summer (which is most of them). Unfortunately our local track only runs the sprint cars once a year. The WoO have been here twice but the track owner says it's just too expensive to get them. He said it was $85,000 to get on their schedule PLUS they get a % of the concessions. I've been to Knoxville the last 29 years.
What is the main division at your home track? I'm extremely fortunate that I live in South Central PA. I live 4 miles from Williams Grove, the slowest half mile in the United States lol. But I'm also 28 miles from Lincoln, under 15 from BAPS, 42 miles from Port Royal and about 40 from Selinsgrove. Hagerstown isn't quite a 90 minute drive and Grandview is just under 2 hours.

I've heard that the sanction fee per WoO race is $20k. That's the first I've heard of an initiation fee to get on the schedule, but makes sense. To be honest, I'm a bigger fan of the All Stars. They bring just as many cars and their format is better racing in my opinion. USAC has the superior format to both though I think. I really like Lucas Oil 360s format too.

rod

Retired 22 years
My local track runs
What is the main division at your home track? I'm extremely fortunate that I live in South Central PA. I live 4 miles from Williams Grove, the slowest half mile in the United States lol. But I'm also 28 miles from Lincoln, under 15 from BAPS, 42 miles from Port Royal and about 40 from Selinsgrove. Hagerstown isn't quite a 90 minute drive and Grandview is just under 2 hours.

I've heard that the sanction fee per WoO race is $20k. That's the first I've heard of an initiation fee to get on the schedule, but makes sense. To be honest, I'm a bigger fan of the All Stars. They bring just as many cars and their format is better racing in my opinion. USAC has the superior format to both though I think. I really like Lucas Oil 360s format too.

My local track is 3/8's mile banked track. Our area is dominated by a sanctioning body called WISSOTA. They mainly cover MN., ND., SD., WY, Montana, Wisconsin. and Ontario Canada. On a typical race night it draws about 110 cars between 6 classes. About 4 years ago the track owner got in a pissing match with WISSOTA and told them to get lost. He went with the IMCA sanctioning body out of Iowa. The first couple years were bad with only about 50-60 cars showing up but when the owner started to up the pay out the cars came and others who were running WISSOTA switched to IMCA. Last summer for a special $10.000 payout 2 day race they attracted 260+ cars ( racing lasted until 3 in the morning ). The track has NO closing / quite time limit- free camping with nice showers and a C-store / liquor store across the street. It has been there LONG before the area built up with homes. Every year some new jackass in the community will complain about the noise and every year my local town board tells them tough tiddy.-- the track is grandfathered in. For many years we had a VIP booth at the track but over the years as people die or lose interest (I can't imagine that but it happens) we gave up the booth. Now I sit in the bleachers and cover my beer to keep the dust out like everyone else :-)
Classes ran:]

Sport Compact (Hornets)
Hobby Stock
Mod 4's
Super Stock
B-Mods
Modified

Sometimes they will run a "Vintage" class or a micro-sprint class. They have also ran motorcycle races.

oldngray

nowhere special
My local track runs

My local track is 3/8's mile banked track. Our area is dominated by a sanctioning body called WISSOTA. They mainly cover MN., ND., SD., WY, Montana, Wisconsin. and Ontario Canada. On a typical race night it draws about 110 cars between 6 classes. About 4 years ago the track owner got in a pissing match with WISSOTA and told them to get lost. He went with the IMCA sanctioning body out of Iowa. The first couple years were bad with only about 50-60 cars showing up but when the owner started to up the pay out the cars came and others who were running WISSOTA switched to IMCA. Last summer for a special $10.000 payout 2 day race they attracted 260+ cars ( racing lasted until 3 in the morning ). The track has NO closing / quite time limit- free camping with nice showers and a C-store / liquor store across the street. It has been there LONG before the area built up with homes. Every year some new jackass in the community will complain about the noise and every year my local town board tells them tough tiddy.-- the track is grandfathered in. For many years we had a VIP booth at the track but over the years as people die or lose interest (I can't imagine that but it happens) we gave up the booth. Now I sit in the bleachers and cover my beer to keep the dust out like everyone else :-)
There used to be a 3/8's mile near here that was cheap and never very crowded. I guess not crowded enough since it shut down.

It was 3 or 4 miles from my house but I could still hear them on race nights.

rod

Retired 22 years
There used to be a 3/8's mile near here that was cheap and never very crowded. I guess not crowded enough since it shut down.

It was 3 or 4 miles from my house but I could still hear them on race nights.
I always tell people I can't hear the track from my house (a mile away)---------------because I'm always at the track.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
My local track runs

Classes ran:]

Sport Compact (Hornets)
Hobby Stock
Mod 4's
Super Stock
B-Mods
Modified

Sometimes they will run a "Vintage" class or a micro-sprint class. They have also ran motorcycle races.
Mods are definitely one of the fastest growing classes in the country. Mods are huge in NE PA, New York and New Jersey. But it seems NE modifieds are slightly different than the rest of the country. And man, the big blocks are fun to watch.

Being up in that area, do you ever get to see Hot Karl race? He's a character.

rod

Retired 22 years
Mods are definitely one of the fastest growing classes in the country. Mods are huge in NE PA, New York and New Jersey. But it seems NE modifieds are slightly different than the rest of the country. And man, the big blocks are fun to watch.

Being up in that area, do you ever get to see Hot Karl race? He's a character.
I saw the Big Block Mods race when I went to the World Finals in Charlotte, N.C. one year. They don't race those anywhere near here. I can';t say I've ever seen Hot Carl race but have seen quite a few NASCAR drivers run the sprints. I was 50 feet away from Tony Stewart when he broke his leg in a sprint car in Oskaloosa .Ia.