Comfy Seasonal Driver and PVD Appreciation Thread

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Is no one going to mention why he isn’t logging at least 30 minutes of meal when he went over 8? Is package not required by law to do this? We have to burn an hour here if we go over 8. Law only requires 30.
I was told, ONE SINGLE TIME, that I should take 30 if I work +8. It was a very passive mentioning.
I didn't work over 8 more than a handful of times anyway. I would not like to sit around for 30 minutes. That would irritate me.
You sound like a fun guy
Do you enjoy small talk?
I can't help who I am. I'm intolerant of small talk, gossip, drama etc and I'm not comfortable being in a crowd. Never have been. This is one main reason I got TH out of long Island almost 40 years ago.
I believe having one, two or three good friends is far better than having a bunch of "good acquaintances.

pkgdriver

Not a national law. Perhaps a State law where you are.

I think package is exempt because we stay in a 100 mile radius and/or use a smaller vehicle. Can't remember the exact rule/law. No break required by national law for package drivers.

We don't have to take any of our unpaid lunch here. It still doesn't make up for the decades they stole pay from the drivers by subtracting 40 minutes of unpaid lunch when most drivers didn't take it. Those thieves (management) will answer to God for that.
Yep…think its a 150 mile radius and 99% of pkg car drivers are not DRIVING 8hrs.

UPSER1987

That's wild. Sorry that happened.

In our area 30 minutes seems to be the standard. That's what I was told in training. Idk what this hour lunch is you guys talk about, I can't imagine sitting around doing nothing for that long. The only time I've gone over 30 was on a slow day when I had late pick-ups. Most of my building barely takes a lunch at all. A few months ago management was practically begging us to "take at least a one minute lunch" so their reports look good.
One minute lunch keeps you off the old no lunch report.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I was told, ONE SINGLE TIME, that I should take 30 if I work +8. It was a very passive mentioning.
I didn't work over 8 more than a handful of times anyway. I would not like to sit around for 30 minutes. That would irritate me.
But it doesn’t really matter if it’s irritating, does it? It’s the rule and that’s fine and dandy if that isn’t the rule for you but it’s the rule here. I don’t especially like sitting around for an hour unpaid but you WILL be called up if you short change your meal at my hub.

Last edited:

BlackFriday

But it doesn’t really matter if it’s irritating, does it? It’s the rule and that’s fine and dandy if that isn’t the rule for you but it’s the rule here. I don’t especially like sitting around for an hour unpaid but you WILL be called up if you short change your meal at my hub.
Wow! An hour? I thought it was 30? Anyway you are obviously right. It's a rule and can't be avoided. I would think that a lot of drivers use the time to sort shelves???

BlackFriday

I see your point. Put your damn hat back on 😬.
I bet you are bucking for the shop sewer position.
How about YOU start a poll? "how many use part of their lunch to sort?"
How is it that you can judge a driver that's doing what they want to do?
I understand that you are pro union. Fine for you but you really are militant in this sentiment. It occupies a lot of your thought process IMO

Yeet

Wow! An hour? I thought it was 30? Anyway you are obviously right. It's a rule and can't be avoided. I would think that a lot of drivers use the time to sort shelves???
30 is DOT law, the hour is UPS’ rule. I’m a feeder driver so I have no shelves to sort and I don’t work for free.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I understand that you are pro union. Fine for you but you really are militant in this sentiment. It occupies a lot of your thought process IMO
I am militantly against employees working without UPS paying them.
I'm sure @MyTripisCut is too.

That's not even union stuff.
That's just not being a maroon.

Cowboy Mac

You didn’t have to fix it for me. Take no lunch or an eight hour lunch. I don’t give two :censored2:s. Just stating the facts.
8FC96FAB-0297-414A-A1A4-8F9A20E8EFDB.gif

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

We are not salaried employees. Working off the clock is the behavior of desperate or stupid people. Nobody at any hourly job should even consider working off the clock, union or no.

It also sabotages your coworkers by legitimizing the company’s time standards.

BlackFriday

30 is DOT law, the hour is UPS’ rule. I’m a feeder driver so I have no shelves to sort and I don’t work for free.
I can go with that but, and please don't take this the wrong way 😬, as a feeder you get paid for sitting around doing nothing right? Do you use your 1 hour as you are getting loaded?

Yeet

I can go with that but, and please don't take this the wrong way 😬, as a feeder you get paid for sitting around doing nothing right? Do you use your 1 hour as you are getting loaded?
I’m sitting but I’m not doing “nothing”. It took almost 20 years busting my ass to get here so I have no apologies. And no I’m not taking meal when waiting on a load as I’m still performing a job function.

BlackFriday

My point is that NOBODY should wad up if someone wants to do something, during work, that they don't advocate for.
I've read here, more than once, where drivers come in early to sort their shelves. They are making an investment in their day IMO. They can make their truck grab and go instead of hunt and peck. How much time is saved when your truck is perfectly sorted compared to the average sorting that's generally done. Maybe an hour? Maybe these drivers want to get home to their families an hour early and invest their own time in the effort to do so.
If this is decision I made, as a driver, and some union militant came to me and said something about MY decision there would be a BIG problem.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
My point is that NOBODY should wad up if someone wants to do something, during work, that they don't advocate for.
I've read here, more than once, where drivers come in early to sort their shelves. They are making an investment in their day IMO. They can make their truck grab and go instead of hunt and peck. How much time is saved when your truck is perfectly sorted compared to the average sorting that's generally done. Maybe an hour? Maybe these drivers want to get home to their families an hour early and invest their own time in the effort to do so.
If this is decision I made, as a driver, and some union militant came to me and said something about MY decision there would be a BIG problem.
You don’t work off the clock, especially not to set your truck up in the morning. Period. Guys that come in early and sort their trucks off the clock are no better than scabs.