Congratulations UPS

wilberforce15

Here’s a shock to you.....a lot of us came from the preload. Your lack of concern for not doing your job is emblematic of why you and your fellow part timers are viewed the way you are. When I loaded we cared....we actually understood that the trucks were a representation of who we were. Which we valued.....evidently character and pride has gone extinct. All the more reason why you don’t deserve to be apart of my contract.

You got paid like a human being when you did it.

Why not try that now with preloaders just to see if it would work?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You got paid like a human being when you did it.

Why not try that now with preloaders just to see if it would work?
There’s no argument there....I started at more than double what minimum wage was plus benefits after 30 days. But that’s all the more reason part timers could benefit from their own contract. They could push for things like an option to opt out of pension contributions and or medical benefits opting for a higher starting wage instead.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There’s no argument there....I started at more than double what minimum wage was plus benefits after 30 days. But that’s all the more reason part timers could benefit from their own contract. They could push for things like an option to opt out of pension contributions and or medical benefits opting for a higher starting wage instead.
why couldn't a full-time employee do the same? you are advocating even more division than you think.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
why couldn't a full-time employee do the same? you are advocating even more division than you think.
You are correct but we both know that if this was a “Full Time” only contract we would of reached the 50.1% threshold. Point is that we all need to be engaged but seeing as we clearly aren’t we can’t then allow ourselves to be hamstrung by employees that don’t care. Full disclosure.....I also advocate for area specific contracts that can better represent us locally.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Read my post again....I never suggested removing part timers from the union. My suggestion was for you to have your own contract specific to your issues and concerns.
We do. It's called the jc37 sort rider
Only problem is, it gets paired with the jc37 package rider. Which was voted a majority yes because it puts extra pension money on the table, ffs.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We do. It's called the jc37 sort rider
Only problem is, it gets paired with the jc37 package rider. Which was voted a majority yes because it puts extra pension money on the table, ffs.
Bingo.....you just hit the head on the nail with that and why we were sold down the river. Pension money is all the union was focused on. Here’s an idea....poll all the part timers and ask how many of them would prefer the increase to their pension contributions go to their hourly pay instead. I bet most don’t stay long enough to collect in the first place.

Bingo.....you just hit the head on the nail with that and why we were sold down the river. Pension money is all the union was focused on. Here’s an idea....poll all the part timers and ask how many of them would prefer the increase to their pension contributions go to their hourly pay instead. I bet most don’t stay long enough to collect in the first place.
That's what the company banks on
That's why I would like to see matching 401k for part time employees , instead of a pension.

wilberforce15

It is your job, as a more experienced person, to advocate on their behalf. New people don't know anything except what they are shown by the more experienced people. That's why it's the unions fault, and the older guys' fault, for setting up the revolving door and creating the problem.

The only thing the young guys, and the PTer's did, is get robbed and then get lectured for not liking it. You've made it such that they don't even have a reason to hang around or get active and fight for themselves. Then, somehow, it's on them when they don't.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It is your job, as a more experienced person, to advocate on their behalf. New people don't know anything except what they are shown by the more experienced people. That's why it's the unions fault, and the older guys' fault, for setting up the revolving door and creating the problem.

The only thing the young guys, and the PTer's did, is get robbed and then get lectured for not liking it. You've made it such that they don't even have a reason to hang around or get active and fight for themselves. Then, somehow, it's on them when they don't.
The way you engage people is by creating a system that requires hands on involvement. Require them to make real decisions every 6 months that effect their paychecks immediately. I guarantee that if an employee were required to make income related decisions they would naturally be more involved in the process. “January 1st: do you want to for go pension and benefit contributions in lieu of higher wages of X amount?” Then repeat on July 1st. It’s not rocket science.

wilberforce15

The way you engage people is by creating a system that requires hands on involvement. Require them to make real decisions every 6 months that effect their paychecks immediately. I guarantee that if an employee were required to make income related decisions they would naturally be more involved in the process. “January 1st: do you want to for go pension and benefit contributions in lieu of higher wages of X amount?” Then repeat on July 1st. It’s not rocket science.

That can't work for a job with a bad paycheck and no benefits. There is no method to get them involved. Their job sucks. Why would they ever want more involvement?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
That can't work for a job with a bad paycheck and no benefits. There is no method to get them involved. Their job sucks. Why would they ever want more involvement?
Precisely.....they’d jump at the opportunity to work “per diem”. They could choose to have that money that would normally go towards their health and pension to go towards their hourly rate. Lots of careers offer this arrangement seeing as not all need healthcare or will be there long enough to get a pension. It’s a real solution to a real problem.

wilberforce15

Precisely.....they’d jump at the opportunity to work “per diem”. They could choose to have that money that would normally go towards their health and pension to go towards their hourly rate. Lots of careers offer this arrangement seeing as not all need healthcare or will be there long enough to get a pension. It’s a real solution to a real problem.
How about you cut through all that crap and just give them a decent job that they'll care about like a union is supposed to do?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
How about you cut through all that crap and just give them a decent job that they'll care about like a union is supposed to do?
I don’t disagree with you on that....in my building they start at the areas minimum wage wich is $13.50 and then are pushed out the door right at their 3.5 hr guarantee. Crap wages + crap Hours + crap job=CRAP!!!! Always has and always will.

PT Car Washer

Is that what UPS tells the new PT sups? I wonder where they all come from.

RoadRage

MOST union jobs do not have partime (3.5 hr a day) PENSIONS.. I tell people work 3 1/2 hours a day for 30 years and you can have a $2000 + pension, they dont believe me!! my father GM 34 yrs $2400 pension FULL TIME.. part time work for a full time pension unreal.. ps 34YR employee

wilberforce15

MOST union jobs do not have partime (3.5 hr a day) PENSIONS.. I tell people work 3 1/2 hours a day for 30 years and you can have a $2000 + pension, they dont believe me!! my father GM 34 yrs $2400 pension FULL TIME.. part time work for a full time pension unreal.. ps 34YR employee
Sounds like a guy trying to haze young guys with a worse deal than he got himself when he has hired.

PT Car Washer

Most Union jobs don't use PT and if they do they pay them the same wages and benefits as FT. That is to protect the FT jobs from becoming more PT jobs. Something the Teamsters have failed to do.

RoadRage

Most Union jobs don't use PT and if they do they pay them the same wages and benefits as FT. That is to protect the FT jobs from becoming more PT jobs. Something the Teamsters have failed to do.
Most all union dont have part time employees to begin with.. Did/ does UAW have a partime employee pension, asking .