Contract rumor.

Atomic_Smurf

Ok Obama haters, here are the facts from the TDU
Health care Reform and You | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

The top Teamster health plans under national contracts like UPS, freight and carhaul cost around $15,000 a year—including dental and vision. The minimum threshold for the High Value tax is a benefit that costs $27,500 a year—not counting dental and vision coverage! (Now, that’s a Cadillac!)

I've read that many times in doing my own research & found it to be untrue. Thats just the the Teamsters spin on it. Remember they made a huge mistake in supporting this legislation & are in damage control mode. Funny how you consider information from TDU to be "the facts". I Can prove you wrong right now...your link says the top Teamster health plans under national contracts like UPS.....are $15k. Go look at your W-2 & report back to us the amount in the box marked 12dd. Assuming you are a UPS employee of course...

Atomic_Smurf

Just like income, the tax will only be applied to the dollar amount OVER 27,500...
How you coming up with 6.1 billion.

You'll barely hit 6.1 million in tax, if you guys get a 35,000 a year family plan!!

halls letter on march 8th 2013 spoke of the company's presentation on their cost increases. Hall conceded their point in that letter & our BA gave us the $6.1 billion dollar figure at a union meeting last week. Sounded like he was lowering expectations & the more I hear the more I understand why.

Atomic_Smurf

I had heard we are under the threshold but wasn't willing to do the research. Thanks

Wonder how Cadillac the congress and presidential plans are.

I wouldn't consider going to the TDU website for their version, "research". Research means digging in from many angles including reading the bill itself. Page 1,941 ot the ACA begins an explanation of this tax. For the record, these threashold have changed since the bill was originaly passed because of the demand from our unions. They were doing it to delay the implimentation of the tax on US, NOT FOR CEO's. Make sense???

Atomic_Smurf

Maybe you should do the math. UPS payed $5,600 for me(Supposedly) 39 single male. $15-$19? No way pal. Not for single coverage. You could get it cheaper by yourself off the street with a provider. Family coverage will be taxed over $27,500. Quit spreading your GOP propaganda from Fox News.

What does your W-2 say? Box 12dd???

Atomic_Smurf

Ok Obama haters, here are the facts from the TDU
Healthcare Reform and You | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

The top Teamster health plans under national contracts like UPS, freight and carhaul cost around $15,000 a year—including dental and vision. The minimum threshold for the High Value tax is a benefit that costs $27,500 a year—not counting dental and vision coverage! (Now, that’s a Cadillac!)

My W-2 says $19k. Way more than what your source claims to be the highest valued plan.I guess some of you will deny it till the day you loose it. Then it will be Romney's fault.

saintrick

12dd for me , spouse, two dependents is 14757. That would have to double to be taxed.

I do agree that O care is part of the problem in that its not real clear what it will do to future costs.

Is 12dd the amount ups pays or just the value of the benefits provided. (Is UPS self insured?)

Atomic_Smurf

12dd for me , spouse, two dependents is 14757. That would have to double to be taxed.

I do agree that O care is part of the problem in that its not real clear what it will do to future costs.

Is 12dd the amount ups pays or just the value of the benefits provided. (Is UPS self insured?)

I'd say you are on the new plan with a PPO or HMO, whatever you choose at the time. The $27k threshold has changed from $21k at it's passage. Teamsters & other unions lobbied hard to get that amount raised & they didn't do it to protect CEOs. By raising that threshold it merely lengthened the amount of time we have before those taxes are levied but believe me, UPS will never allow themselves to get close to the threshold for family plans where they have to pay a 40% tax, especially since they are already going to be taking it on the chin for the individual plans. That means downgrade after downgrade to keep everyone out of the "Cadillac" bracket. But again this is just 1 of the 21 new Obamacare taxes that are penalizing employers & workers. As far as what UPS pays vs. value of benefits...I've always understood that UPS was self insured but my insurance card says Aetna & BCBS so I'm not sure how that works. If UPS can place any value on a plan, they would only benefit by understating those numbers.

ftballer67

I've read that many times in doing my own research & found it to be untrue. Thats just the the Teamsters spin on it. Remember they made a huge mistake in supporting this legislation & are in damage control mode. Funny how you consider information from TDU to be "the facts". I Can prove you wrong right now...your link says the top Teamster health plans under national contracts like UPS.....are $15k. Go look at your W-2 & report back to us the amount in the box marked 12dd. Assuming you are a UPS employee of course...

I just checked mine. For myself and my wife who is under my plan the total was $14,757. I don't know where you're coming up with 19,000 for an individual.

fedupups

A couple of things...
1. I heard about Amazon rumor too and Im in the Northeast...there maybe some validity with this..
2. I read somewhere that someone posted we make $85,000 to $90,000 a year for being drivers how much more do we need...If we made that much as a 40hr pay week this comment may have merrit..but we bust our ass 50 odd hrs a week for this, missing most family life so to that person and comment fu..
3. UPS raises their rates every year so shoud we..
4. 7 years ago I was paying $1.77/gallon to heat my house now its double that...so I do need a significant raise increase each and every year..
5. I have 3 young kids and dont want to strike...BUT Im not going to settle for something that isnt beneficial to me and if we have to strike Im all for it and have been saving for this for the last 2 years...

kingOFchester

A couple of things...
1. I heard about Amazon rumor too and Im in the Northeast...there maybe some validity with this..
2. I read somewhere that someone posted we make $85,000 to $90,000 a year for being drivers how much more do we need...If we made that much as a 40hr pay week this comment may have merrit..but we bust our ass 50 odd hrs a week for this, missing most family life so to that person and comment fu..
3. UPS raises their rates every year so shoud we..
4. 7 years ago I was paying $1.77/gallon to heat my house now its double that...so I do need a significant raise increase each and every year..
5. I have 3 young kids and dont want to strike...BUT Im not going to settle for something that isnt beneficial to me and if we have to strike Im all for it and have been saving for this for the last 2 years...

So our base pay is around 66k a year. We also do not get paid a lunch. 9-5 people do not work 8 hours. So lets tack an hour on a day, equals 260 hours a year. Add that to the 2080 base line hours and you get 2340 hours spent from punch to punch just to achieve a 2080 hours paid in a year. Divide the 66k by 2340 and you get 28 an hour. 28 an hour times 2080 baseline and you get 58k.

So if we COULD work the normal 9-5 shift our yearly salary would be around 58k after you subtract the 1 hour lunch. So compared to the 9-5 worker, our salary is not as far out as it appears. 32% less then the 85k mentioned above.

Last edited: