Countdown to Contract

'Lord Brown's bidding'

If its a 9-10 year contract there better be on average at least $1 an hour raise every year. Probably a little more.

It's inevitable that inflation will kick in big time in the next 10 years.[/QUOTE

I agree, there are so many rumors I think its going down to the wire, so many unions striking, calling there bluff, time will only tell....

It is because of the examples from those other strikes from recent times that this shouldn't go down to the wire. My memory escapes me, but I can't remember the last high-proile strike of a big company that has ended well.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Insurance and the costs related to it are the hot topic. I expect everyone will get the same letter that the retirees received a while back. The company is going to force this issue. While I think it's a strike issue others may not. We definitely won't have public opinion on our side this time which is why UPS settled last time.

There really isn't a reason to force the issue until the health law is set to kick in, in 2018. UPS wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't kick the tires, see if something happens, but more than enough would strike if current employees health care was attacked, public opinion wouldn't matter. The risk is too great (raising the cost on retirees is different; they have no leverage directly, and while many are sympathetic, they aren't going to risk their livelihood to strike over it).

A simpler way to cut costs without so great a risk of strike is the two-tiered wage system: it doesn't affect anyone directly, so while many oppose on philosophical grounds, it probably wouldn't derail the contract.

I suspect UPS will put more effort than a "kick of the tires" on getting language in to use electronic data for discipline, but the possibility for backlash would be too strong to go after it too hard.

I am not sure how, but I suspect 9.5 language will be toughnes; the cry is great, and while a strike may not happen, I think the union may get some type of backlash; I don't find the excessive hours a problem (yet, although I worked well over 2600 hrs last year), but too many here and who I see in person in my center are frustrated.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hope you aren't serious. $43 an hour? Not saying fold the tent and bend over, but jeeze. We are already having competition issues with Fedex, and it's not like our customer service is getting better. Might line your pockets for a few years, but something like that might end up having a bunch of mid term guys swinging in the breeze. Or a newish guy like me unemployed. Not saying our job isn't difficult, but your thoughts have guys working 50 hour weeks making 120k. Would get to the point UPS would just pull the plug on the Teamsters, bring in :censored2:s making $16 an hour, who are glad to get it. Runner gunners. Bad bad bad.

I'm very serious I took this job to make money. Inflation decreases your spending power. The way the government has been spending money some very high inflation is right around the corner. Not to mention higher taxes. If this job turned into a $20 an hour job without full benies and pension I'd be gone in a heart beat. Those jobs are a dime a dozen and many much less demanding than ours.

Not to mention ups raises their rates like clock work every year 6-8%. All I'm asking for is a 2.5-3.5% raise.

ocnewguy

Just curious...say the contract establishes a new part time starting wage of 9.50/hr. Which would mean a new hire could be at 11.50/hr after 90 days, while I'm at 10.50 still. How would pay for current pters work with a new contract? Would we just have to swallow the pill of knowing new guys are going make more?

Seahawks17

I'm in that same situation as well, what would happen if the p/t starting wage is raised? I've been at my hub now for 2 years and would be pissed if a new hire was making more than me after 90 days.

Ms.PacMan

Part-timers would go to whatever rate is negotiated. Senority + 1yr = $xx.xx, Seniority + 2yrs = $xx.xx, etc.

Art.22 Section 5 If you guys are still confused you can find the contract online. Seeing it visually may help.

beentheredonethat

I'm very serious I took this job to make money. Inflation decreases your spending power. The way the government has been spending money some very high inflation is right around the corner. Not to mention higher taxes. If this job turned into a $20 an hour job without full benies and pension I'd be gone in a heart beat. Those jobs are a dime a dozen and many much less demanding than ours.

Not to mention ups raises their rates like clock work every year 6-8%. All I'm asking for is a 2.5-3.5% raise.

First the net rate increases are not that high. In the past few years, we have raised "base" rates but offset them with a lowering of the fuel surcharge index by usually 2%. So the net effect was roughly a 4.9% increase. If you couple that with most customers of any size gets between 30-50% off rates. the 4.9% increase is now down to 2.45% - 3.3%. Then if you look at healthcare, I know for mgmt that we got on our w2's the cost of our healthcare by the company, not sure if the same obamacare rules apply to a union healthcare, but look at how much money UPS has to pay (and it has increased each year for HW). Add to that, you have a few people on this board saying we need to divert more money to H&W so retirees don't have to pay anymore even though rates are rising incredibly fast. If you want to have a 2.5% - 3.5% raise, that's easy. If you want it with a much higher % increases in HW and pension and HW for retirees etc, that is when it becomes harder.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'd be happy with the status quo myself. We are very well paid for what we do. They can beat the 70-100k drum all day but our drum would be much bigger. Net income of $3.8 billion. $3,800,000,000. After all liabilities this is the money left over. Like they can't afford the status quo.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just curious...say the contract establishes a new part time starting wage of 9.50/hr. Which would mean a new hire could be at 11.50/hr after 90 days, while I'm at 10.50 still. How would pay for current pters work with a new contract? Would we just have to swallow the pill of knowing new guys are going make more?

I am all but certain your hourly rate would go up. The IBT negotiating team isn't going to let new hires make more than PT'ers who have been sweating it out in a truck for the last 1-4 years.