Cover Driving VS Bid Route

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Cover drivers in my center can just walk down the belt and look for the worst looking route and plan on doing because the bid driver will take the day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cover drivers in my center can just walk down the belt and look for the worst looking route and plan on doing because the bid driver will take the day

When I was a casual I quickly learned which of the senior drivers were most likely to want to take days off and made sure to learn those routes. I would also show up to work dressed and ready to go each and every morning, even when they told me to stop doing it, as there was always someone who would take the day.

This is part of the reason that I was able to gain seniority in just 11 months.

The Driver

I drive.
Is there anyone out there who prefers being a cover driver over having their own bid route? If so tell us why you prefer cover driving. I am considering staying a cover driver instead of going bid

I have a sweet area for my route so I took it and got lucky. It's Tuesday-Saturday but I freakin' love it anyway. Hard work but not a stressful area.

MC0493

I'm on the fence. I'm currently a cover driver but pretty much have been floating between the same couple of routes most of the year. Most of the time i float around on routes i like doing, sometimes get shafted. I would like my own route one day and i've gained a good reputation on those i cover often. I'll probably wait for something decent to come up. I don't mind the variety but getting screwed gets old fast.

GenericUsername

I'm looking forward to the day that I get my own bid route. All the people you talk to on the days you cover always ask about so-and-so, so it feels like there's more respect towards the regular guy than the cover guy. It'd also be nice to know every single delivery point as well as the better places to stop for breaks/etc. Plus you would know at any point of the day if you were ahead/behind than you should be as your route doesn't really change so you can step it up a notch if you need to so you can get done at your normal time (if you had something planned.)

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Is there anyone out there who prefers being a cover driver over having their own bid route? If so tell us why you prefer cover driving. I am considering staying a cover driver instead of going bid
What is the difference?

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been a cover guy for 16 years. I covered 1 route for 3 years while the regular guy was out. If I could have bid that route I would have. For now, I am very content to remain a cover guy. I am the highest seniority cover in my building and have 1st choice on what to cover. The routes that I cover, I cover enough that everyone knows my name and if I miss a week, many will ask where I was.

The thing I like the best is the variety of places that I take break. The route that I am on next week has a place that does a very tasty meatloaf sandwich. There is another place that does a nice smoked sausage sandwich.

Last week, the route that I was on has a place that does soup in the Fall through Spring. The cook and I share soup recipes, last week, she made a soup that I suggested and it was very tasty (burrito soup.)

In 2 weeks, I'll be on another route that has a place that also does a tasty meatloaf sandwich.

Next year, a couple routes that I really like might come up for bid. I won't decide for sure if I am signing one of them until they are hanging.

During June (Dairy Month), I try to do one of several routes that have co-op creameries on route, so I can have 25 cent ice cream sandwiches.

When 2 routes that I really like are available on the same week, I pick based on where I want to have lunch. I am all about eating well.

CoolStoryBro

Full time driver with no bid route. 14 years. Washington state.

There are only a handful of routes I could tolerate for longer than a few weeks. Those routes happen to be the highest seniority routes in the building. I might get one of them in 10-15 years.

Staying cover is the only way I can happily tolerate this job. If I were forced onto one low seniority route then I would have quit years ago.

1989NW

I have been a cover guy for 16 years. I covered 1 route for 3 years while the regular guy was out. If I could have bid that route I would have. For now, I am very content to remain a cover guy. I am the highest seniority cover in my building and have 1st choice on what to cover. The routes that I cover, I cover enough that everyone knows my name and if I miss a week, many will ask where I was.

The thing I like the best is the variety of places that I take break. The route that I am on next week has a place that does a very tasty meatloaf sandwich. There is another place that does a nice smoked sausage sandwich.

Last week, the route that I was on has a place that does soup in the Fall through Spring. The cook and I share soup recipes, last week, she made a soup that I suggested and it was very tasty (burrito soup.)

In 2 weeks, I'll be on another route that has a place that also does a tasty meatloaf sandwich.

Next year, a couple routes that I really like might come up for bid. I won't decide for sure if I am signing one of them until they are hanging.

During June (Dairy Month), I try to do one of several routes that have co-op creameries on route, so I can have 25 cent ice cream sandwiches.

When 2 routes that I really like are available on the same week, I pick based on where I want to have lunch. I am all about eating well.
This made me hungry

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

All I took out of that is that you like smoked sausage

JL 0513

Full time driver with no bid route. 14 years. Washington state.

There are only a handful of routes I could tolerate for longer than a few weeks. Those routes happen to be the highest seniority routes in the building. I might get one of them in 10-15 years.

Staying cover is the only way I can happily tolerate this job. If I were forced onto one low seniority route then I would have quit years ago.

Good points about tolerating the job in that it's a whole different job doing an inner city ghetto route for example vs an affluent suburban route or country route. If I had to do the former for many years, I wouldn't have become a UPS driver. It's miserable. But a route in a civilized area can actually be an enjoyable day just going to one nice house after the next with wide open roads, low traffic, and quite.

WorknLateHuh

most drivers would hate this, but I would like an arrangement where I only do 3 or 4 routes that i like that rotate.

I can't bare the boredom of doing 1 route. as I get older i'm sure i'll want more consistency, but not now

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

You've eaten more in this post then I have in my career.

JL 0513

I like to consider myself an unassigned driver, cover driver makes it sound like I am a temp driver.

That's one of the negatives of being cover. To some, it has the sense of being a "lesser" position. Yet it's really not. Some guys choose to stay cover for 15 years. Then you have a 2 year driver bid a ghetto route. Doesn't make the 2 year driver better or above the 15 year driver. There's this false perception that you're cover because your the new guy.