Crash at my center

MethodsMan

I went out on many a routes blind as a cut driver. What you do is you stop the car, grab map book/GPS and map out your next 5 or so stops. It worked for me. Remember the sequence of right and left turns. I was damn good at going out cold. Probably for the worst. Honestly, you cut drivers out there need to :censored2: the bed when you go out cold if you really dread it.

MethodsMan

and here it comes..its UPS fault. No it really is the drivers fault. Remember your next five stops (its a method that has not changed) if you are so directional challenged you need to find other line of work. Where is the paper map, they really sell them and Barnes and Noble is the best place to get them.

Very likely you've never touched a package in your UPS career. You are due for a promotion.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
and here it comes..its UPS fault. No it really is the drivers fault.

Not always.

3 fatality accidents (not crash) come to mind.

Driver drifts left of center, killed by a pkg car, on a country road.

Suicide by feeder. Just like it sounds.

Bad dolly, and a driver loses the back box.

Where is the paper map, they really sell them and Barnes and Noble is the best place to get them.

If drivers need a physical map (recommended)....

The company can pay for it.

It's not the responsibility of the employee, to provide the tools for the job.

-Bug-

Over 70

I went out on many a routes blind as a cut driver. What you do is you stop the car, grab map book/GPS and map out your next 5 or so stops. It worked for me. Remember the sequence of right and left turns. I was damn good at going out cold. Probably for the worst. Honestly, you cut drivers out there need to :censored2: the bed when you go out cold if you really dread it.

I use Google maps exactly like this. With voice recognition I can say the address and pinpoint it on the map in secs. Far faster than a paper map at least if they are spread out.

If a new neighborhood section is added I like paper all the way because I can leave it on the dash and glance at it and see exactly what orion/edd have planned. The printout from the center with all the stops on it works best for me.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I use Google maps exactly like this. With voice recognition I can say the address and pinpoint it on the map in secs. Far faster than a paper map at least if they are spread out.

If a new neighborhood section is added I like paper all the way because I can leave it on the dash and glance at it and see exactly what orion/edd have planned. The printout from the center with all the stops on it works best for me.

Cool.

How much does UPS reimburse you ?

-Bug-

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A Circle of Honor driver got into an accident this week in our center.
Taking a left out of a business on a busy state road.

If there was a way UPS could only have drivers take mostly right hand turns ??
It might also save gas and idling, including faster delivery.
Wish UPS could invest in something like this. Probably too expensive !!

Dragon

Package Center Manager

That is exactly how you should do it. When you are really good at it, you can remember streets as you go by them and say too yourself oh ya I have something for that street.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Every time you post, I am more convinced you do not nor ever did work for UPS.

Was the driver at fault? Yes.

Would there be any difference if he had been looking at a paper map instead of his phone? No.

Did you ever look at a map or a GPS device while driving? Why don't you answer that.

@Dragon, I'm still waiting for you to answer me.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My first center manager trained me to deliver with the bulkhead open. When he was in the drivers seat, the door would rattle, so he would hold it to the frame with one hand and drive with his left.

Lots of bad ideas come from former corner cutting drivers who looked great on the WOR, then took the mgmt path.

I never looked at a phone or a map while delivering. Now, the diad, that's a whole different story. I was very lucky. A few close calls, that finally woke me up, got me to leave it in the holder.

Sometimes, the close call is actually an accident or a fatality. The driver has the final say in how they execute the "methods" they're "trained" with.

The "trainer" may pass on some terrible ideas that are then the basis for further exploration of other bad ideas that a driver may come up with in order to satisfy the UPS hunger for production.

Until that changes, and UPS stops talking out of both sides of their mouth, you can bet that trainers will suggest, and even demonstrate, a whole host of unsafe practices while disavowing their personal contribution to the problem.