Crazy. 8 hour dispatch.

Undertow

Sounds good in a building where the drivers (RDCP or whatever the hell they call us now) actually want to work every day???

How many "drivers" in your Center are willing to take one (or more) day(s) off every week???

I predict that these same idiots will go, or stay home at a rate (25%) to allow the new 22.4 idiots to gobble up everyone else's overtime.

This whole notion that the Company agreed to this language without a plan kills me.

Trust me, the Company has a plan, and it's coming hard and fast....and as usual, I hope I am wrong.
I can't think of any reason not to trust you, and yes, I'm sure the company "has a plan". That doesn't mean the plan will translate into anything resembling the type of reality your post suggests with immediacy. The company also had a plan and all kinds of money and conviction behind it when they trotted out ORION more than 5 years ago. How successful has that gone for them? It's pretty clearly turned out to be a pathetic failure and nowhere near the magic pill Atlanta convinced itself it would be when they all gulped down the Kool-Aid. The program sucks even worse now than when it first showed up and that's saying quite a bit.

How many drivers in my center are willing to stay home one or more days per week? I can't say for certain but I'm sure there will be some. As poorly loaded (or maybe a better term might be "Overloaded") as Monday's cars have been since the Saturday mess arrived, I could see guys with no wife, ex-wife and no kids, no significant bills, having little to no problem taking a 3 day weekend if that option is presented to them. For them to have a shot, however at becoming "idiots" for doing so, there first has to be enough "idiots" to agree to take the 22.4 positions in order to start the chain reaction you described. I can't speak for the staffing situation in your building, so I'd have absolutely no reason not to trust you if you state you believe it could or will happen there.

I can only offer my observations on the operation here, and from all the feedback I've been given, there just aren't enough "idiots" to bite on the 22.4 job to put UPS"s wet dream into even slow motion much less hyperdrive. No part time worker going to school or some young mother just working 3 to 5 hours a morning for the insurance wants anything to do with it. Once they hear "Up to 70 hours a week", the interest in it ends right then and there. Could that change? Perhaps if the economy experienced a prolonged recession and the company began "enhancing" it's push with an array of coercive tactics, maybe they might find some takers but that's purely speculation on my part. On that point, I, much like You, hope I'm wrong.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can't think of any reason not to trust you, and yes, I'm sure the company "has a plan". That doesn't mean the plan will translate into anything resembling the type of reality your post suggests with immediacy. The company also had a plan and all kinds of money and conviction behind it when they trotted out ORION more than 5 years ago. How successful has that gone for them? It's pretty clearly turned out to be a pathetic failure and nowhere near the magic pill Atlanta convinced itself it would be when they all gulped down the Kool-Aid. The program sucks even worse now than when it first showed up and that's saying quite a bit.

How many drivers in my center are willing to stay home one or more days per week? I can't say for certain but I'm sure there will be some. As poorly loaded (or maybe a better term might be "Overloaded") as Monday's cars have been since the Saturday mess arrived, I could see guys with no wife, ex-wife and no kids, no significant bills, having little to no problem taking a 3 day weekend if that option is presented to them. For them to have a shot, however at becoming "idiots" for doing so, there first has to be enough "idiots" to agree to take the 22.4 positions in order to start the chain reaction you described. I can't speak for the staffing situation in your building, so I'd have absolutely no reason not to trust you if you state you believe it could or will happen there.

I can only offer my observations on the operation here, and from all the feedback I've been given, there just aren't enough "idiots" to bite on the 22.4 job to put UPS"s wet dream into even slow motion much less hyperdrive. No part time worker going to school or some young mother just working 3 to 5 hours a morning for the insurance wants anything to do with it. Once they hear "Up to 70 hours a week", the interest in it ends right then and there. Could that change? Perhaps if the economy experienced a prolonged recession and the company began "enhancing" it's push with an array of coercive tactics, maybe they might find some takers but that's purely speculation on my part. On that point, I, much like You, hope I'm wrong.
So you believe UPS can't hire these "drivers" from off the street for $20/hr, with benefits after 60 days, when part timers pass???

....and while I like your ORION comparison, it's "apples and oranges".

Undertow

So you believe UPS can't hire these "drivers" from off the street for $20/hr, with benefits after 60 days, when part timers pass???

....and while I like your ORION comparison, it's "apples and oranges".
Based on what I've witnessed up to this point regarding what comes in off the street, No I don't believe the company can execute any supposed plan that way especially on a nationwide scale in a span of mere months. They can hardly get new hires to stick with it now and that's with something less than 8 hours of work with the promise of full scale pay way dow the road. 5 bucks less per hour with far less certainty regarding start and finish times taking most all chances of planning a life to go along with their work? The odds of getting any takers worth keeping get far worse.

I actually don't view the ORION comparison as apple to oranges as it's become clear that the failure of the program has greatly contributed in negating the effectiveness curve of new hires. Without any prior knowledge of the delivery areas, the rookies follow the botched list into not only 12 hour days that the vets can often get done in 9 or even 8 hours, but often miss a dozen or more business deliveries while in the process. And that's assuming the "driver" sticks around the whole day rather than calling his mom or one of his friends to come pick him up while leaving the truck and 100 stops left in it somewhere in a parking lot at 6PM. That used to take place perhaps once every couple of years where now it takes place about once per month.

Will the company try to move forward with the 22.4 concept? Of course they will as they wouldn't have structured the language of Hoffa's folly the way they did. Does that automatically translate into all of us from coast to coast suddenly being awoke by a phone call on Monday morning two weeks from now saying "No work available on your area today, either stay home or go out on something you haven't done in 17 years."? Again, I can only observe and reflect on what takes place at my building and a handful of others closest to it, and I don't see that possibility getting anywhere remotely close to the realm of probability anytime soon.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Based on what I've witnessed up to this point regarding what comes in off the street, No I don't believe the company can execute any supposed plan that way especially on a nationwide scale in a span of mere months. They can hardly get new hires to stick with it now and that's with something less than 8 hours of work with the promise of full scale pay way dow the road. 5 bucks less per hour with far less certainty regarding start and finish times taking most all chances of planning a life to go along with their work? The odds of getting any takers worth keeping get far worse.

I actually don't view the ORION comparison as apple to oranges as it's become clear that the failure of the program has greatly contributed in negating the effectiveness curve of new hires. Without any prior knowledge of the delivery areas, the rookies follow the botched list into not only 12 hour days that the vets can often get done in 9 or even 8 hours, but often miss a dozen or more business deliveries while in the process. And that's assuming the "driver" sticks around the whole day rather than calling his mom or one of his friends to come pick him up while leaving the truck and 100 stops left in it somewhere in a parking lot at 6PM. That used to take place perhaps once every couple of years where now it takes place about once per month.

Will the company try to move forward with the 22.4 concept? Of course they will as they wouldn't have structured the language of Hoffa's folly the way they did. Does that automatically translate into all of us from coast to coast suddenly being awoke by a phone call on Monday morning two weeks from now saying "No work available on your area today, either stay home or go out on something you haven't done in 17 years."? Again, I can only observe and reflect on what takes place at my building and a handful of others closest to it, and I don't see that possibility getting anywhere remotely close to the realm of probability anytime soon.
Thanks for the armchair play by play... stick to your day job and leave these big boy decisions to high level mgt like @Dragon.... even though I don’t think many of these decisions are in his salary band... but who knows, maybe they promoted him to full time by now...