Crossing Picket Line.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When we went on strike in '97, the first group of union members who came to support us were a large group of ladies from the local CWA union. So I won't stand still while some of you bad mouth those ladies. They brought us food, and walked our picket lines with us. So climb a razor blade pole with your bare ass, Verizon, and any UPSers who fail to honor any CWA strike.

A judge told me years ago, that ignorance of the law is no excuse. So, I tell this ignorant UPS ***** the same. Honor your brothers and sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:

brown_trousers

I know we can get in big trouble for crossing fellow Teamster picket lines, but does our union forbid us from crossing any union line, no matter who the union is?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Have had several companies over the years go on strike. Mgmnt doesn't bat an eye when you tell them make arrangements, I'm not crossing. Had one company on strike last peak. We had to deliver and pickup at a non union trucking company and another company would pick the stuff up and transport it. Fedex wouldn't cross either, and picked up at the same time I did each night. The biggest obstacle in settling the strike was the company wanted employees to have a choice whether or not to join the union. Union lost. Idiot employees will eventually vote to be non union and wonder why they can no longer survive on half the wage with no benefits.

brown_trousers

I'm not finding it in the NMA. The only language that I find that comes close is Article 9, section 1, which prevents UPS from disciplining us if we "choose" to not cross the picket line. But I see no language placing culpability on us if we choose to cross one of those lines.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not finding it in the NMA. The only language that I find that comes close is Article 9, section 1, which prevents UPS from disciplining us if we "choose" to not cross the picket line. But I see no language placing culpability on us if we choose to cross one of those lines.

Interesting---Even if it wasn't in the contract book the Union and the Company always told us not to cross.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Do you really need contract language to know if it is right or wrong? Are you with us, or against us? What good is a union if we can't respect each other? We stand together, or we fall apart. I'm not saying you believe that, but you know there are plenty here, on this site, who will wonder, what's the big deal?

brown_trousers

Do you really need contract language to know if it is right or wrong? Are you with us, or against us? What good is a union if we can't respect each other? We stand together, or we fall apart. I'm not saying you believe that, but you know there are plenty here, on this site, who will wonder, what's the big deal?

Do you really have that thick of blinders on to think that EVERY labor union is operating with such morality, it is GOD's gift to mankind. Wake up.... There will always be bad eggs out there. Not every union is good and acts in the best interests of its people.

I bet you would would just blindly respect a KKK picket line as well, wouldn't you? well... as long as they organized as a labor union you would

Mr Shifter

I love that most of you guys wouldn't have crossed. As a new upser I am close to guys around my seniority and I'm having doubts that they would follow in the path as the driver in the video. They have to be educated that they aren't to cross and I'm going to do my part to spread this message.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one thing that has not been mentioned is that a bid driver who chooses to cross an active picket line will have to deliver to these employees after the labor dispute has been settled. Good luck getting a signature when you fail to honor their picket.

Verizon workers were conducting informational pickets in front of Verizon Wireless stores. The manager and I both thought it ironic that many of the picketers were talking on their Verizon Wireless cell phones while picketing.

tourists24

Do you really have that thick of blinders on to think that EVERY labor union is operating with such morality, it is GOD's gift to mankind. Wake up.... There will always be bad eggs out there. Not every union is good and acts in the best interests of its people.

I bet you would would just blindly respect a KKK picket line as well, wouldn't you? well... as long as they organized as a labor union you would
Trousers.... are you a UPS driver? If so,,, how long have you been at UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Article 9, Section 1 clearly addresses this issue. They use the term primary picket line rather than active but the meaning is the same and is meant to distinguish between a primary and informational picket.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

What a stupid analogy.
It's not our place as drivers to evaluate the legitimacy of the union conducting the picket line.
That's why we have language in our contract stating we wont cross primary picket lines, so we don't have to.
You call it a blind respect, I call it code.
A code that is necessary for the whole system to work.
If it is indeed a morality issue with you, get out of the union and find a new job.
I hate when somebody uses that line, "why don't you just quit then", but I know of no other recourse when somebody reduces an issue like this to a moral dilemma.
So as Dracula said, "are you with us or against us"?

Cementups

Box Monkey

Cause even if you know your mother or brother killed someone, you still support them. Union is union no matter whether you like what they stand for. We fight as brothers, we win as brothers. (and sisters)