Customers that tick you off when it comes to COD

ArcherUTR

The time allowance is 3 minutes for each COD.

Resident know-it-all.
So in general what many here are arguing is that every single package of a COD shipment should have a separate COD on each package, else screw the customer.

Someone else above said that every COD labeled package cost $10 each.

So if a shipper has a 10 count shipment to be paid for by COD upon delivery - they have to pay an additional hundred dollars in shipping charges for the shipment and the driver should get an additional 30 minute time allowance to do the right thing, else :censored2:'em?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unless the customer is willing to divide the total by the number of packages and apply COD charges to each package, we can deliver all of the prepaids whether the COD is paid for or not; however, because most shippers pass their costs on to the customer, forcing them to do this would screw the customer.

I have one shipper that puts a "Deliver With COD Box" sticker on their shipments. The consignee always takes her COD's on the first day but if she ever didn't I would deliver the prepaid nonetheless.

Resident know-it-all.

Johney

What Dave says is true(I know,I know don't inflate his ego ). What you are being told to do is give the shipper a service they aren't paying for. If your management team tells you to do it, so be it. I was told years ago we make money(profit) if we deliver a regular ground on the first attempt,break even on the second and lose on the third. That's why we charge more for signature required,COD,etc.Also maybe why we are hit hard about S/A's. Whether this is true? Who knows, seems to make some sense. That is also why I believe they came up with the function(in DIAD) to add charges for shippers who want to try and beat the system by adding their own little stickers with instructions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I went to drivers school in the mid 90's there was talk of adding a surcharge to COD send agains, Thank goodness they changed the rules to where they now send them back after the third attempt.

Resident know-it-all.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Brokerage fees suck worse.
I've had the pleasure of having deliveries with brokerage fees on two occasions. NEITHER time did the recipient even know the fees were coming, and when I dropped the $50 bomb it was like oh here the :censored2:-storm comes with 20 minutes or more of disputes and questions. And I didn't even know what they were to explain it to them, as on the first one I'd never seen that before.

Fortunately, the first time was while I was doing residentials at the end of the day with my air already recovered and the second time was the next to the last stop while doing Saturday airs, so it's not like I lost precious time. Can't guarantee I'll be so lucky next time though.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I went to drivers school in the mid 90's there was talk of adding a surcharge to COD send agains, Thank goodness they changed the rules to where they now send them back after the third attempt.

Resident know-it-all.

UPS always sent CODs back after 3rd attempt unless the customer had the package held for pickup. It was changed so they won't be held and go back the night after the 3rd attempt though. Paid packages were postcarded and held for a week but CODs were never postcarded.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've had the pleasure of having deliveries with brokerage fees on two occasions. NEITHER time did the recipient even know the fees were coming, and when I dropped the $50 bomb it was like oh here the :censored2:-storm comes with 20 minutes or more of disputes and questions. And I didn't even know what they were to explain it to them, as on the first one I'd never seen that before.

Fortunately, the first time was while I was doing residentials at the end of the day with my air already recovered and the second time was the next to the last stop while doing Saturday airs, so it's not like I lost precious time. Can't guarantee I'll be so lucky next time though.

Customers like that want you to wait while they call the shipper and UPS despite the fact there is a COD tag on the package that can't be changed over the phone.

I had a COD yesterday with 10 boxes. I went in with one box showed the paperwork and the lady said ok I'll pay. I told her it was $424 and even circled the amount. As I get to the back and unload everything the owner starts opening boxes and saying I already, this is not right and all that bs.

I then advised them that I have to go your not the only store. Finally after 45 min they paid. How can I avoid these situations? Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Ask them if they have a check and are they going to take the shipment today. If yes ask for the check in had and have them sign. Give them there packages and leave. If the start to give you the run around tell them you have other customer and that you'll be back tomorrow. If it's between 12 and 1 you can no money but if the cod is only on on of the ten packages you can't no money a package without an for amount on it. You would have to go back. If they give you a hard time about waiting be very curtious but explain you have other customers that you have to service. Feel free to give the centers number. If your supervisor says to go back then go back. We are a service company so try your hardest to make a good firm yet fair impression.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I usually find the packing slip(s) and write the cod amount on it/them. I give them to the person who writes the checks and ask if they are ready to take receipt now, or should I bring them back tomorrow. If they want to know the contents, I say it's spelled out on the slips and you can call the shipper with the invoices, but I won't wait around. Then if they decide to write a check they can do that while I unload, and no time is lost. For my daily cod customers, a 2 minute phone call, with the amounts, about an hour prior to delivery, does the trick.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You turn down a certified check because it is off by a penny? Really??

We are allowed to accept overpayment of any amount and underpayment if it is within $1.
Wrong. The corporate bean counters emailed my center manager because I took a check 24 cents short and I was forced to go back out and get a second check. This just happened this last winter.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
Wrong. The corporate bean counters emailed my center manager because I took a check 24 cents short and I was forced to go back out and get a second check. This just happened this last winter.

Sent using BrownCafe App

probably depends on the area... I've taken M.O.'s short of a $1.. and have taken M.O.'s well over the COD amount by $50(customer said that shipper would correct error)

Sent using BrownCafe App

I'd donate a quarter to the cause first myself.

Rainman

Its all good.
This is refered to as......I have no money in the bank and bad credit to support my investment...and wait for the government to bail your "small buisness" out
These businesses have good credit. COD is their preferred ethos of payment.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Customers like that want you to wait while they call the shipper and UPS despite the fact there is a COD tag on the package that can't be changed over the phone.

We can do it now. They'll give a code to type in the reason box when you make the COD amount zero

Sent using BrownCafe App

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Drivers are not allowed to change the COD amount. It used to be that the shipper could fax a document on their letterhead to have the amount changed but that is no longer allowed.

Resident know-it-all.

Dave, I had it happen last week. Consignee called shipper, shipper called UPS, corporate sent a center message, my on road messages me instructions and the code, I re-delivered at their pick up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Z

ZQXC

Drivers are not allowed to change the COD amount. It used to be that the shipper could fax a document on their letterhead to have the amount changed but that is no longer allowed.

Resident know-it-all.

For years we have accepted a MO if it was a (dollar or less) than the specified amount; cheaper than the send again.