Customs Critical Contractor

vantexan

You need to be looking around for different places to work. There are trucking companies that if you provide the truck, they provide the trailer and will pay you anywhere from 75-80% of the what the total trip charge is. You're saying you're being paid the load's value? So if you're hauling a million dollar item, you'll get 35% of that? Or do you mean 35% of the trip charge? I find it hard to believe you're hauling something that's only worth $2K.

I'm going to assume you mean the trip charge and not load value. So like I said, you can find a ton of places that will provide the trailer and pay you 75% of the trip payout. And if you have your own trailer you'll get like 85% of the trip charge. And you won't have to live out of your truck and be like you're living in a navy submarine where you're gone a month or more at a time before you come home. Check with Landstar for starters. There are also tons of small trucking companies that will pay you better than what you're getting now.
I could have been clearer. Yes, if company is getting paid $1000 I'm making $350, 35%. You're talking about a huge can of worms I'm not interested in. With my pension included I'm grossing $65k plus with only eating my major expense. I'm in a van, have an air ride seat, plenty of room in back, and freedom to move around no tractor/trailer will give me. No CDL or medical card required.

vantexan

Dollar wise, you're going to be shocked at the size of the hairball you're going to have to hoark up every quarter including that 15.30% for Social Security because after all you an "independent contractor".
So you've got $700 . Take 15.30% for social security and let's say the minimum withholding of 12% and your down to $509. Throw in a bit of state income tax and your down to less than $500. Not too good Bud but the pay back will no doubt be to remove lower earning years from your SS earnings report and replace with higher earning years . If this job will accomplish that feat then keep going for a long as you can.
Beyond paying matching SS I'll be paying same taxes as everyone else. I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to find a good job the older you are. Luckily this is what I love to do. And I'll gross anywhere from $3500 to $5000 a month. Not counting my $1840 pension.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Beyond paying matching SS I'll be paying same taxes as everyone else. I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to find a good job the older you are. Luckily this is what I love to do. And I'll gross anywhere from $3500 to $5000 a month. Not counting my $1840 pension.
Do you own the van?

bacha29

I'm driving to California, and will gross $700. My rt will take me through Colorado and Utah on I-70, a gorgeous drive. I've only had to wait two days once, get most loads either same day or next. Don't think I'd want to do this for FedEx because of their controlling nature. But it's the best job I've ever had.
" Going to California with an aching in my heart"........Led Zeppelin. For that kind of money it's no wonder. Then again if it will knock out low earnings years from your record and replace with better ones it will put you in a much better position . And if you can't do the job any longer put in for SSD. In the meantime keep going for as long as you can because once you're out of the workplace at your age.....there's no getting back in.... aside from jobs nobody else is willing to do and that's not going to get you anywhere.

vantexan

" Going to California with an aching in my heart"........Led Zeppelin. For that kind of money it's no wonder. Then again if it will knock out low earnings years from your record and replace with better ones it will put you in a much better position . And if you can't do the job any longer put in for SSD. In the meantime keep going for as long as you can because once you're out of the workplace at your age.....there's no getting back in.... aside from jobs nobody else is willing to do and that's not going to get you anywhere.
I'm making as much as a topped out courier working OT. This is infinitely easier on me. And there's no office politics.