Cutting Hours

hemiboy20

I work in a small UPS facility (not concidered a hub). Im a part-time employee. We are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours each work night... reguardless. Everynight all of the employees are harrased and worked to the point of passing out just so the trucks are sealed on time. All of our equipment is old and severely outdated and needs repair. Were not allowed to work as many people as is needed for the work load so everyone has to suffer just so the center manager can run a number to make him and the SUPS look good. If we cant keep up we are harrased and called failures by a "certain" SUP. We are worked extremely hard on purpose so by the end of the night everyones wants to go home and NOT get there full 3 1/3 hours which makes the center manager and certain SUPS look good. No employees agree with whats goin on. Any advice??

I work in a small UPS facility (not concidered a hub). Im a part-time employee. We are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours each work night... reguardless. Everynight all of the employees are harrased and worked to the point of passing out just so the trucks are sealed on time. All of our equipment is old and severely outdated and needs repair. Were not allowed to work as many people as is needed for the work load so everyone has to suffer just so the center manager can run a number to make him and the SUPS look good. If we cant keep up we are harrased and called failures by a "certain" SUP. We are worked extremely hard on purpose so by the end of the night everyones wants to go home and NOT get there full 3 1/3 hours which makes the center manager and certain SUPS look good. No employees agree with whats goin on. Any advice??

1) union 2) H.R File complaints with the above.

brownIEman

Something does not add up here.
If you are worked hard to the point that by the end of the night you are tired and want to go home before your 3 1/2 are up, how can you claim there are not enough people working your shift? If there are not enough people for the shift, how can you be getting to the end of the night (by which I am assuming you mean finishing processing the volume for the shift) before 3 1/2 hours is up?

hemiboy20

Something does not add up here.
If you are worked hard to the point that by the end of the night you are tired and want to go home before your 3 1/2 are up, how can you claim there are not enough people working your shift? If there are not enough people for the shift, how can you be getting to the end of the night (by which I am assuming you mean finishing processing the volume for the shift) before 3 1/2 hours is up?

hemiboy20

There used to be 3 unloaders, 3 belt pullers and 4 stackers. Our volume has not slacked yet they insist to cut employees as the work night passes by. By the end of the night you have 2 unloaders 2 belt pullers and 2 stackers making it hard on the remaining workers. By this time everyone is mad and tired and want to go home. It basically makes it look like the center manager can run less employees and get more done which is breaking the backs of all of the employees.

TheDick

From what goes on in my bldg (30routes) If what u say is true u are gonna need to talk to the steward other drivers about the issue. if you guys are working so hard then sooner or later one of you's gonna get hurt. If they dont back-off another guy will goto the doctor, after the third they might consider why this is happening.
Oh and no faking OJI's either.
I ve seen it happen at my bldg among drivers, sometimes they chill and sometimes they dont

hemiboy20

From what goes on in my bldg (30routes) If what u say is true u are gonna need to talk to the steward other drivers about the issue. if you guys are working so hard then sooner or later one of you's gonna get hurt. If they dont back-off another guy will goto the doctor, after the third they might consider why this is happening.
I ve seen it happen at my bldg among drivers, sometimes they chill and sometimes they dont

beentheredonethat

There used to be 3 unloaders, 3 belt pullers and 4 stackers. Our volume has not slacked yet they insist to cut employees as the work night passes by. By the end of the night you have 2 unloaders 2 belt pullers and 2 stackers making it hard on the remaining workers. By this time everyone is mad and tired and want to go home. It basically makes it look like the center manager can run less employees and get more done which is breaking the backs of all of the employees.
what's your average daily volume?

evilleace

My advice SLOW DOWN! a fair days work for a fair days pay you don't have to kill yourself to make them look good. If you go slow and they are on you about it go slower and follow every method if you guys go slow enough and they pull late on night then you will more than likely get your staffing back up.

Explain: working hard=getting hurt

My advice SLOW DOWN! a fair days work for a fair days pay you don't have to kill yourself to make them look good. If you go slow and they are on you about it go slower and follow every method if you guys go slow enough and they pull late on night then you will more than likely get your staffing back up.

Correct me if I wrong: methods = best practices at an average pace. If they work slower using the methods that can be considered a work slowdown...your advice might just get a few people terminated.

evilleace

From the op said it sounds like they are working way faster than average and if they are loading that many pieces with that few people they are probably not following the methods. All I was saying was slow down (or work at an average pace) and follow all the methods. If they are already doing this I don't know what to tell them. I was in no way saying that they should intentionally just stand around and or intentionally make it look like they are going slower for no good reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hemiboy, if you wish to quote someone and then reply to the quote you can do it all in the same reply, not 2 separate replies. Simply hit quote and then type your reply after the quoted section.

STUG is an expert on quoting (and multiquoting) so feel free to PM him if you need any more help.

hemiboy20

hemiboy, if you wish to quote someone and then reply to the quote you can do it all in the same reply, not 2 separate replies. Simply hit quote and then type your reply after the quoted section.

STUG is an expert on quoting (and multiquoting) so feel free to PM him if you need any more help.
ok thank you

hemiboy20

Correct me if I wrong: methods = best practices at an average pace. If they work slower using the methods that can be considered a work slowdown...your advice might just get a few people terminated.

Ok ill do just that so that way they cant jump on me when im going at a steady and safe pace. Theres no point in killing myself everynight.

TheDick

Explain: working hard=getting hurt

Working hard is one thing. Working smart is best.
Working too fast gets people hurt, and that will kill a SUPs numbers not to mention the turnover from new hires will go up too.
If thats what's goin on at his bldg.

Working hard is one thing. Working smart is best.
Working too fast gets people hurt, and that will kill a SUPs numbers not to mention the turnover from new hires will go up too.
If thats what's goin on at his bldg.

I agree with your first sentence. But there is a difference between people working too fast and people working hard and, working hard does not equal getting hurt.