Dennis Taylor threatens to overrule no vote

542thruNthru

Debbie, please!

tenor-18.gif

Superteeth2478

Also, when the HELL was this determined to be the FINAL offer? Wouldn't it be nice to let the membership know it was the final offer? Neither UPS nor the Teamsters ever stated it was the final offer to my knowledge. The world knew it was in '97.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Would not look good for them if they impose it, when the majority voted no. They would get a ton of heat from the media and lawmakers. Plus the vote no locals may call their own strike.

Would not look bad at all.

I understand the logic of just counting those that voted.

But if less than half the membership voted, and only a majority of those voted no, that means that only 20% or so of the membership voted no.

You think Hoffa would put us on strike over 20% of the membership voting no?

What about the other 80%

That is why Article XXII of the IBT Constitution exists, to protect those dip:censored2:s that didn't bother to vote.

Mooseknuckle

Would not loon bad at all.

But if less than half the membership voted, and only a majority of those voted no, that means that only 20% or so of the membership voted no.

What about the other 80%

That is why Article XXII of the IBT Constitution exists, to protect those dip:censored2:s that didn't bother to vote.
And in doing so promote others not to vote so HE can decide how to "protect" us in the future. I see your point. Kinda like Asad protecting Syria from terrorist by killing half the country. Or, Kim Jong Un protecting HIS people from all that dangerous freedom stuff.

What about the other 80%

We had less than a 50% vote last contract last time. Why should the rules be reversed?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

What about the other 80%

I see.

What you are saying is that if 49% vote, and they all vote no, it is fair to push the contract through.
But if 51% vote, that's a completely different story?

At just over 50%, and just over half those voting no, we'd still only be talking about 25% of the total teamsters.

So don't try that BS line.

Skooney

Tony Q bought into the propaganda the union wanted to sell us, that a no vote meant a strike. Good thing people with common sense knew that :censored2: wasn't true. There's not going to be a strike, and anyone who thought there was after UPS just spent billions on new aircraft, right before peak season, is an idiot.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We had less than a 50% vote last contract last time. Why should the rules be reversed?

The 50% clause needs 2/3 majority to turn down a contract the IBT has agreed to, last contract was yes votes.

And I agree it should be no different if the IBT did not recommend the contract.

The 50% clause needs 2/3 majority to turn down a contract the IBT has agreed to, last contract was yes votes.

And I agree it should be no different if the IBT did not recommend the contract.
All's that I'm say is. Last time it was under 50% and it was eveb close to two thirds of the votes being yes.

It's a BS rule.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I see.

What you are saying is that if 49% vote, and they all vote no, it is fair to push the contract through.
But if 51% vote, that's a completely different story?

At just over 50%, and just over half those voting no, we'd still only be talking about 25% of the total teamsters.

So don't try that BS line.

I didn't make the rules.

The IBT does not want the membership overruling them unless a majority of the members overrule them, not just a majority of the voting members.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
All's that I'm say is. Last time it was under 50% and it was eveb close to two thirds of the votes being yes.

It's a BS rule.

The difference is that the Union recommended the contract, so they need a majority of the membership, not just the voting membership, to overrule them.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If this is the case then outside of voting the leadership out our options are few in regards to the national. My question though is how can we apply pressure locally?

From what I understand we can strike locally which individually would amount to jack squat but nationally.....we’d shut them down and demonstrate that those led asses work for us!!!!

Last edited: