Dennis the Menace Gets His!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It may be a crime in the sense of what is called crimes these days but going back to AV's original point, there is no victim who can claim a damage from Hastert's lack of reporting. This has nothing to do with acts committed years ago which you agree above are not in play. In that sense, a lack of a physical person having been damaged by Hastert, not telling of his withdrawal is proof of this being a victimless crime IMO, a crime that Hastert in fact helped to create in the first place. In that sense I'm delighted he became the victim of the monster he created.

I also think your own thoughts in this case are purely driven by party politics rather than any real principle. I doubt you are even opposed to the over reach of the Patriot Act so there you go. This is another proof that on many issues I see little difference between yourself, Moreluck and Baba. You all three demonstrate a blind irrational reaction when it comes to blind defense of your party heroes while being a contradiction when it's the other party.

I am very much opposed to the Patriot Act. The whole idea of victimless crimes is a subject for endless debate. Is a prostitute who takes money for sex from a wiling patron a victim? Maybe, depending on the circumstances. Perhaps her pimp will kill her if she gets out of the business. It's all pretty circular.

Hastert's crime violates societal laws designed to keep order and sanity. This particular area of the Patriot Act actually makes sense, because it makes circumventing the law a crime, and makes it more difficult for terrorists and drug dealers to transact their business.

Hastert was Speaker of the House, and supposedly an example of someone who should follow laws, not break them. It also appears that because Hastert was an influential person, that he considered himself not responsible to play by the rules.

He should spend the rest of his life in prison. Perhaps he can get a cell next to Sandusky so they can swap stories about young boys.

av8torntn

Wow, you are really gone. There are at least 2 victims of Hastert's pedophilia...Individual A and Individual B. There could well be many others. Society is the "victim" when someone breaks laws, or do you not understand this? Hastert knows he's going away, for breaking the law. You know, there are reasons we have laws. Otherwise, our society would be like that of Somalia (Libertarianism on display).

So now your claim is that he is charged with pedophilia and not getting his own money from a bank without governments permission?

Seriously, you are the one that is way out there and obviously have no idea about the subject of the thread you are posting in.

av8torntn

I would question now who Hastert crossed that brought all of this to light.

This is a very wise point and I was wondering if anyone was going back to bring it up. I would be willing to wager this has nothing to do with reporting cash withdrawals or sex.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a very wise point and I was wondering if anyone was going back to bring it up. I would be willing to wager this has nothing to do with reporting cash withdrawals or sex.

As reprehensible as both of those acts are, I agree that none of this would have come to light if he had not pissed someone off along the way.

wkmac

societal laws designed to keep order and sanity.

Funny that Hastert goes to jail and yet persons on Wall Street not only get a bailout paid for by many of the same people they victimized and you defend the existing order as maintaining "order and sanity."

The people supposedly in charge of keeping "order and sanity" on both sides of the isle enabled Wall Street and then went on to argue on their behalf and defense. How does one remain loyal to such "order and sanity?"

This reminds of something I stated elsewhere earlier today and seems fitting here as well.

Just heard someone giving thanks for the "sheep dogs" who protect us in society. It may be true that "sheep dogs" protect sheep from wolves who have their own ideas of what to do with the sheep but does anyone ever consider that the "sheep dog" serves the interests of the farmer and what does the farmer do with the sheep at the end of the day?

The only difference between what the wolf does and what the farmer does is a distance of time which only serves to fatten up the sheep for more end product. Either way the sheep never gets the choice in the end of what becomes of him and his future!

So now you know what I think of your "order and sanity!"

To quote Julian Assange: "Crush the Bastards!"

;)

wkmac

Hastert was a Washington player and lobbyist so it's a real question worth asking IMO.

Or we can play democrats verses republican or vice versa and only continue to get friend'ed in the process.
;)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So now your claim is that he is charged with pedophilia and not getting his own money from a bank without governments permission?

Seriously, you are the one that is way out there and obviously have no idea about the subject of the thread you are posting in.

The thread started exposing the irony of Hastert being caught by his own law. Getting your own money out of the bank is not illegal unless there is subterfuge. Clearly, Hastert was trying to slide under the radar by doing it in increments that would avoid detection. Plus, he lied about what he was doing...repeatedly. If Ahmed the Terrorist had been caught in this same manner, you'd be applauding it.

I agree that since Hastert was still a major Washington player through his lobbying firm, that there could be some political motivations to make sure the investigation continued. It doesn't change the fact that he's guilty of breaking the law. Individual A should also be in trouble...for blackmail. If he had come forward before Hastert got into politics, we wouldn't be having this discussion today because Hastert would have been a convicted felon as far back as the 1960's.

av8torntn

If Ahmed the Terrorist had been caught in this same manner, you'd be applauding it.

Since it was Hastert the citizen and not your phantom, mythical terrorist that's another reason to get rid of this law. I'd suggest calling your Senator tonight and asking them to let it expire.

av8torntn

Getting your own money out of the bank is not illegal unless there is subterfuge. Clearly, Hastert was trying to slide under the radar by doing it in increments that would avoid detection. Plus, he lied about what he was doing...repeatedly. .

That's kind of the point of my dissent with your absurd position. Subterfuge with withdrawing your own money from a back that coincidentally you pay them to protect shouldn't even be possible as its none of the governments damn business. The fact that you even care that he lied to the government about how much money he was withdrawing from a bank he paid to hold his money is equally as absurd as it should be none of their or your damn business.

av8torntn

Hastert was a Washington player and lobbyist so it's a real question worth asking IMO.

Or we can play democrats verses republican or vice versa and only continue to get friend'ed in the process.
;)

My view was when you cheer them on for doing this to a politician why should I not cheer them on if they did it to you. In my view it's wrong no matter who they do it to.

wkmac

My view was when you cheer them on for doing this to a politician why should I not cheer them on if they did it to you. In my view it's wrong no matter who they do it to.

I'm not going to shed a tear when you drink your own poison. They don't listen to us when we say no so maybe they will learn the truth when they become victims of themselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A point which has yet to be discussed is what are the responsibilities, if any, of the bank teller(s) during these transactions? I know that they are required to report transactions of $10K or more but are they under any obligation to report numerous transactions of just under that amount performed on the same day? I ask because that is exactly what happened near one of our local Indian reservations. The tribal chief was engaging in money laundering and directed someone from his office to make numerous deposits of just under $10K on a daily basis. The clerk(s) became suspsicious, reported these to their manager who in turn alerted the authorities. The tribal chief was found guilty of money laundering, among other charges.

wkmac

A point which has yet to be discussed is what are the responsibilities, if any, of the bank teller(s) during these transactions? I know that they are required to report transactions of $10K or more but are they under any obligation to report numerous transactions of just under that amount performed on the same day? I ask because that is exactly what happened near one of our local Indian reservations. The tribal chief was engaging in money laundering and directed someone from his office to make numerous deposits of just under $10K on a daily basis. The clerk(s) became suspsicious, reported these to their manager who in turn alerted the authorities. The tribal chief was found guilty of money laundering, among other charges.

As I understand bank reporting rules, the bank is required to report. And again to my knowledge there are IRS rules which require this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I understand bank reporting rules, the bank is required to report. And again to my knowledge there are IRS rules which require this.

Yes, they are required to report transactions of $10K or more; however, there is no requirement that I am aware of for multiple transactions of just under that amount on the same day.

wkmac

Yes, they are required to report transactions of $10K or more; however, there is no requirement that I am aware of for multiple transactions of just under that amount on the same day.

True but now there are other laws to cover multiple transaction under $10k and in some cases transactions of only $1k get reported. Most of this is a result of the War on Drugs.

av8torntn

It should expire in the fact that Ahmed the Terrorist has not been caught by it.

Well it should expire for at least a little while tonight. I find it amusing that the government admits that they haven't caught any terrorists with this law while At the same time claiming the world is about to end just because expiration is likely.

wkmac

I find it amusing that the government admits that they haven't caught any terrorists with this law while At the same time claiming the world is about to end just because expiration is likely.

But that's how gov't works.

War on Poverty
War on Drugs
War on Terrorism

Shall we continue......?
;)