DIADS Something to consider!!!

DiadDude

Have to disagree here as I once dropped my DIAD in a deep puddle. The DIAD was completely submerged but it worked fine after I hauled it out and wiped it off.

I never said you couldn't get lucky, but I wouldn't take that chance. Symbol does deny warranty claims for water in the board. I've seen it done. I'll keep mine dry, you do whatever you want with yours. Just make sure you come back and tell me how much they take out of your check when you're not quite so lucky.

upsgrunt

What? Since when do they make you pay for your own DIAD? I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I agree, Dirty. I've dropped a diad face down on the rear bumper and destroyed the screen. I finished out the day, man that was hairy at times not being able to see anything on the screen, but management never said anything to me. The next morning there was a new board in my slot. It was pretty amazing that I could do 95% of the rest of the day without even looking at the screen.

DiadDude

I can show you a DIAD II that a driver was required to pay for. I guess it all depends on your management, and whether they think you intentionally or accidentally damaged the board. Hard to say if "washing" electronics that are not waterproof is intentional damage or just stupidity.

Like I said, I'll just use the approved cleaning supplies and not take any chances testing the sea-worthiness of the DIAD 4.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I agree, Dirty. I've dropped a diad face down on the rear bumper and destroyed the screen.

Last Peak, one of my drivers told me a helper dropped a DIAD III out of a package car (hit a bump and it flew out of his hand) at 30 mph. Driver put the brakes on, stopped the car and the helper went back for the DIAD. Not a mark on it and they continued to use it all day. Personally, I dropped a DIAD III into the snow. I told the driver immediately after it happened and was asked, "Is it still active?" I tapped a key and it was. The driver shrugged and said, "These things are designed to take a beating." -Rocky

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that there is a little confusion in this thread about the DIAD being waterproof. DIAD 3 is, I used to clean mine in the sink sometimes and rinse it off. DIAD 4 isn't, its keys are different than the ones on DIAD 4. DIAD 4 is harder to clean to me. This last week I started using a Helper with DIAD 3 again, I had to learn it all over. DIAD 4 with PAS/EDD is a great improvement. Just push Scan on any package and it pulls up. With 3, you have to select and enter the stop before you scan.

brownracer

Actually the EDD program is the same with DIAD 3 (outside of how it gets into the DIAD, IrDA versus 802.11.) I believe because the D3 was a helper DIAD it just didn't have a EDD dispatch.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Actually the EDD program is the same with DIAD 3 (outside of how it gets into the DIAD, IrDA versus 802.11.) I believe because the D3 was a helper DIAD it just didn't have a EDD dispatch.

No, I think you're wrong there. When I was helping last year, my driver put EDD into my DIAD before he left the hub. I don't know how he did this...-Rocky

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, I think you're wrong there. When I was helping last year, my driver put EDD into my DIAD before he left the hub. I don't know how he did this...-Rocky
Rocky is right, EDD is loaded into both of my DIADs. I hate to download using the Infrared Port for 3. I will run about 40 stops on my DIAD 4 before I meet my Helper at 11AM. I will clock her in on the 3, and "Not Find" the stops that I have already ran on mine. My EDD is in good order, so I just use the 3 the rest of the day until I clock my Helper out.

k78333

I never said you couldn't get lucky, but I wouldn't take that chance. Symbol does deny warranty claims for water in the board. I've seen it done. I'll keep mine dry, you do whatever you want with yours. Just make sure you come back and tell me how much they take out of your check when you're not quite so lucky.
I have never heard of anyone having to pay for a diad. Your nut's!

I've always heard we would have to pay for the diad if we damaged it. But I've never seen someone actually have to pay for one.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
My EDD is in good order, so I just use the 3 the rest of the day until I clock my Helper out.

We used both boards when I was helping, Scratch. After I'd gotten the hang of the DIAD, the driver kept his with him at all times to find the package. He'd give the package(s) to me and I'd scan on the way to the house OR after stopping on the stoop. I'd come back to the car and he'd have the next two or three stops sitting ready, already scanned. If it was a long walk to the house or required a sig, he'd sort. I still remember coming back to the car, hearing hearing soft thuds as he moved packages around. We were a good team :cool:. I'll miss working with him this year. -Rocky

browniehound

I can't tell you the best way to do your job, and I can't tell you what your management will decide is acceptable or even preferred. All I can tell you is that the delivery methods do not include "exchange of DIAD"

Are you serious? Really, you must be pulling our leg. Exchange of the DIAD is not part of the delivery methods?????

UPS drivers would look like total weirdos and really freak most of our customers out if we held the DIAD each time the customer signed for a package. Our customers are proffesionals. They are not 2-year olds that need the machine held for them?

Can I get some back up from fellow drivers that can testify that holding the DIAD while the customer signs is just plain stupid???

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
brownie hound !!!!!!!!! i'm behind ya 100%%% give diad to the customer to sign it {unless they are real elderly ,ivalid or look like some freak from hell] then the experienced driver will know how to get signature without the consignee touching it at all!!!! what if I was holding the board for customer,and oh God it fell on their foot breaking the toe nail or toe, or just mentally scaring that person for life!!! would I be given a warning letter or :blushing:just fired i'm sure the emipire would try to find fault with me in some way !!!! lol lol lol lol GO SOX !!

DiadDude

Are you serious? Really, you must be pulling our leg. Exchange of the DIAD is not part of the delivery methods?????

UPS drivers would look like total weirdos and really freak most of our customers out if we held the DIAD each time the customer signed for a package. Our customers are proffesionals. They are not 2-year olds that need the machine held for them?

Can I get some back up from fellow drivers that can testify that holding the DIAD while the customer signs is just plain stupid???

Never said it made sense, but that is what the methods say. Someone else on here has to have access to the methods docs. Tomorrow, look up the section on acquiring a signature and let me know what it says.:cool:

alister

We have some DIAD cleaning wipes in our center. Granted you can't really take them with you during the day but when they are present you can give the board a quick wipe down at the end of the day. I have thought about putting some of those Clorox wipes in my pkg. car.

i wouldn't use clorox wipes on the boards. it can damage the rubber seals that make the DIAD water resistant although, i doubt that much of the chemical would come into contact with the seal. i have seen diads that have had water damage. they have been submerged in water before this has happened. you might want to try one that is alcohol based wipe just in case.

I have herd of drivers that had to pay for damage or loss of a board. A driver had to pay for the repairs board after he damaged the screen many times when he used the diad board to hold open the door or elevator. this guy's board was sent for repair at least twice a month for almost a year before he had to pay for the repair. one driver lost his board and he was made to pay for it. this was not the first board the driver had lost.