Disciplinary action already....in cab cameras.

Est.1998

Feeder drivers already brought in to review "occurrences". Here.

Word is our new asst. BA is pro camera.
"Make us safer......"
Review or discipline?
Pulling me into the office to ask why i rolled a stop sign or following a car too closely is different than writing me up or trying to fire me.

Thebrownblob

Gives them a reason to follow you and document the infractions. That's what the technology clause has always allowed.
I never really had a problem if they follow me, figured they were wasting their time so it was kind of funny. As it is now management does not have enough time to discipline based off telematics much less follow us.

Est.1998

What was the driver doing that was so egregious? Or do you know?
I don’t think he knows.
Usually when he knows or thinks he does, his cat in the hat story is included.
I never really had a problem if they follow me, figured they were wasting their time so it was kind of funny. As it is now management does not have enough time to discipline based off telematics much less follow us.
Same.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Just because it seems that way now, doesn't mean it will always be that way. I think the main thing we have going for us along these lines is the fact that they can't, in general, keep employees. Even as things are now, the cameras are just another contractually sanctioned pretense for harassment.

Thebrownblob

It's the first step.
I don’t like the cameras I think they suck and are intrusive. But everyone said telematics was going to have people terminated. No one’s been terminated for telematics where I am unless they were actually stealing or lying. And even those have been few and far between. I highly doubt the company is going to go out their way to fire qualified CDL drivers when there’s a huge shortage across the country of them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I highly doubt the company is going to go out their way to fire qualified CDL drivers when there’s a huge shortage across the country of them.

That's where we agree, as long as there's a labor shortage, we probably won't get fired, but having a camera in your face all day is automated harassment that is a pretense to regular harassment. They can and will do whatever they can to make this job as unbearable as possible. No sense in paying well  and having happy employees.

Thebrownblob

That's where we agree, as long as there's a labor shortage, we probably won't get fired, but having a camera in your face all day is automated harassment that is a pretense to regular harassment. They can and will do whatever they can to make this job as unbearable as possible. No sense in paying well  and having happy employees.
Since I’m probably going to have to work with
It I’m going to have to agree with you. The problem is I’m sure this will go to arbitration and I have seen UPSs presentation as far as safety, it’s pretty impressive what will be our rebuttal? It makes us uncomfortable? Unfortunately who gets decide what harassment is is subjective.

Est.1998

I watch a lot of dashcam videos on YouTube.
Makes me feel like I’m on a reality show.
If whomever that watches the footage wants to see my driving perfection and me picking my nose, have at it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I watch a lot of dashcam videos on YouTube.
Makes me feel like I’m on a reality show.
If whomever that watches the footage wants to see my driving perfection and me picking my nose, have at it.

You being ok with over-supervision harassment should oblige the rest of us to have to deal with it. Getting rid of in cab cameras is on the strikeable issues list.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Since I’m probably going to have to work with
It I’m going to have to agree with you. The problem is I’m sure this will go to arbitration and I have seen UPSs presentation as far as safety, it’s pretty impressive what will be our rebuttal? It makes us uncomfortable? Unfortunately who gets decide what harassment is is subjective.

Ask a federal judge why they don't let cameras into their courtrooms.

Thebrownblob

You being ok with over-supervision harassment should oblige the rest of us to have to deal with it. Getting rid of in cab cameras is on the strikeable issues list.
Not to belabor the point, I agree you it sucks, it’s stupid, and it’s a giant waste of money. Having said that we already have language in the contract that protects us from over supervision. Having a forward facing camera is going to happen. Having a motion activated camera of some sort pointing at us might not. At least there’s a chance that there will be a ruling against it. Even if the inside camera gets put in, harassment language still applies, if you’re asking me daily about 25 different nose picking incidents, or why I turned my head to look at the large breasted lady driving the convertible, that’s clearly harassment and I would file a grievance every time. I would also turn into Ronald Reagan at the Iran contra hearings and say I don’t remember, just like I do with Telematics. If however they ask you why you ran a red light and ran over a kid or caused an intersection accident… probably not harassment. Most of the stuff is redundant they already know the answers without the camera, they are just control freaks with a shiny new toy and it will be on the back burner just like all the other toys eventually.