Do I really need a union for a 2% raise ???

Then you agree with the OP's point that we didn't need the union in order to get a 2% raise? I think most people already understood that compensation isn't just about wages, so what were you adding to the conversation?

I've posted my share on this, what are you adding?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Many pension plans are in bad shape. You need to save a little for yourself. Even if your pension is in good shape, it's never going to go up when you retire but the cost of everything else will.
This is my issue with the H&W being touted as part of our raise. I'll most likely see very little from the pension, it's money down the drain as far as I'm concerned.

If I could get 10k a year put into my 401k instead I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's a better use of the money, thats just basic math.

This is my issue with the H&W being touted as part of our raise. I'll most likely see very little from the pension, it's money down the drain as far as I'm concerned.

If I could get 10k a year put into my 401k instead I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's a better use of the money, thats just basic math.
I agree but it will never happen. Too many polotics.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I've posted my share on this, what are you adding?

Clarification, since you derailed the conversation. You could argue that without the union our pay wouldn't be as high as it is to begin with, and without a union it would be more difficult to see the sorts of raises we're seeing, if the employer thinks we're overpaid compared to the rest of the industry. Those would have been better counterpoints to the premise presented.

On the otherhand, the point could be made that the union shouldn't tout the raises as such a great selling point to the contract, since they are at a level that should be considered minimum, and shouldn't require giving up anything.

Clarification, since you derailed the conversation. You could argue that without the union our pay wouldn't be as high as it is to begin with, and without a union it would be more difficult to see the sorts of raises we're seeing, if the employer thinks we're overpaid compared to the rest of the industry. Those would have been better counterpoints to the premise presented.

On the otherhand, the point could be made that the union shouldn't tout the raises as such a great selling point to the contract, since they are at a level that should be considered minimum, and shouldn't require giving up anything.

Counterpoints are for someone arguing the original point. I was merely pointing out that the 2.9% figure was slightly misleading. I don't like that the thread was hijacked either, was not my intention.

Oceanview

I'm beginning to really question supporting the union.
I'm pulling a double shift today and helped out on preload this morning unloading.
We were slammed and backed up on bags and the sup was standing next to the belt helping by folding up the empty bags and getting rid of them after we dumped them out and threw them to him.
Next thing I know some dick head old guy who was scanning walks up and tells the sup to "stop helping us" (his exact words) or else he'll file a grievance. For the rest of the shift we're now drowning in empty bags everywhere and tripping over them constantly and losing full bags in the sea of empty ones.
Then it hit me - this is the environment the union creates. A shield for out-of-touch, delusional boomers to swing their dick around pretending they're the big man playing politics and protection for resentful bugmen to hide their incompetence behind "seniority."

I think you and the other guy allowing the supervisor to “help” you, is the real problem. I would have stopped the supervisor too! Ups need To offer a better work environment and higher wages for pt workers. Same supervisor who was “helping” you; would sell his mother to the highest bidder.

BrownRecycler

Our total compensation is higher this contract at $9.15 compared to last contract at $8.90. A 2% increase when your making $37 dollars an hour is a lot of buying power.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 8.18% higher than prices in 2013. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.95% per year during this period.

In other words, $1 in 2013 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1.08 in 2018, a difference of $0.08 over 5 years.

The 2013 inflation rate was 1.46%. The current inflation rate (2017 to 2018) is now 2.95%1. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent to $1.03 next year.

View attachment 211250

Some of the things you post are just flat stupidity.

There is no buying power in inflation. You can't buy something if the price is too high. And, all the money stored in checking account loses value every year. So, please tell me how is that buying power?

If I have to buy a 2018 car, I would have to get a 2018 job to pay for that. If I used the money from 2000, I still won't have enough to pay for the 2018 car. So, again, how is that buying power?

However, if the company cannot pay the 2018 wage, the US workers are screw. And, please don't quote the minimum wage, average labor data, and COLA. These are doctored information used against the US people to save company and government's money. Have they been more truthful, people would have got more money.

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

There is no buying power in inflation. You can't buy something if the price is too high. And, all the money stored in checking account loses value every year. So, please tell me how is that buying power?
1D76581E-9B3F-49CA-B3F9-3B21E4C4E21E.jpeg

Tell me how much more do you want? A $200,000 delivery driver? Your pricing yourself out of a job. This is based off 40 hours! According to Tyler’s generic response we can do better. Why not a $300,000 driver and bring the Turkey back!

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If I have to buy a 2018 car, I would have to get a 2018 job to pay for that. If I used the money from 2000, I still won't have enough to pay for the 2018 car. So, again, how is that buying power?

However, if the company cannot pay the 2018 wage, the US workers are screw. And, please don't quote the minimum wage, average labor data, and COLA. These are doctored information used against the US people to save company and government's money. Have they been more truthful, people would have got more money.
The Path To Hyperinflation: What Happened To Venezuela?

There are a few countries right now dealing with inflation so high their money is essentially worthless.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
View attachment 211411
Tell me how much more do you want? A $200,000 delivery driver? Your pricing yourself out of a job. This is based off 40 hours! According to Tyler’s generic response we can do better. Why not a $300,000 driver and bring the Turkey back!
As soon as the company feels they need to stop paying stockholders larger increases each year than employees I'll consider not asking for more.