Doomsday Clock

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There's a reason ground operates differently than Express in regards to pay, benefits, meal breaks, overtime, DOT laws, etc. .

Yeah, there's a reason alright.

1. To keep the union out (first and formost)
2. To keep Fred and his buddies awfully rich
3. Put the burden of cost onto the taxpayers while the drivers get by on government assistance
4. To avoid paying benefits (vacations and insurance etc.)
5. To confuse the general public of the different opcos (smoke and mirrors in action)

Shall I go on?

MAKAVELI

There's a reason ground operates differently than Express in regards to pay, benefits, meal breaks, overtime, DOT laws, etc. They use so called" contractors" to avoid these costs and increase their profit. They could not operate this way if every driver was an employee of FedEx. Thus the term " scam is applied to the Ground opco. Plain and simple you are a means to an end. Nothing else.

As are you a means to an end...for now. I'm cool with that. You?
I have no illusions that I'm anything other than that. It's you ground contractors that think you are something your not. You are an employee and are replaceable just like the rest of us. The difference being you are just doing FedEx's dirty work.

bbsam

Staff member
Here's the problem with calling Ground a "scam".

you say Fedex does it to gain a competitive edge. Why does any company use contractors? Same reason. It's cheaper. So aren't you really saying that no company should ever be able to use contractors? Only reason UPS doesn't is because the have a union contract that prohibits it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sure. I was essentially a Ground driver for the first few years when it was RPS. It was a definite step up from cab driver. What I would encourage them to do is learn a bunch of routes, show up early and stay late. Learn the business from the Ground up. In time, if Fedex is not for them, they have a damn good paid internship to put on a resume. People can "settle" in any job. I don't want my kids to ever settle. Always move forward and set new goals. Do that and it will be hard not to have great self worth and success.

what else would I do? Drive a truck? Eeeeeeewwwwww!

What?

Are we singing a different tune than the other evening?

bbsam

Staff member
I have no illusions that I'm anything other than that. It's you ground contractors that think you are something your not. You are an employee and are replaceable just like the rest of us. The difference being you are just doing FedEx's dirty work.

Fedex and I have an agreement. We make money off the model. How's that for keeping it simple.

MAKAVELI

you say Fedex does it to gain a competitive edge. Why does any company use contractors? Same reason. It's cheaper. So aren't you really saying that no company should ever be able to use contractors? Only reason UPS doesn't is because the have a union contract that prohibits it.
No union at express. Why don't they use contractors here?

thedownhillEXPRESS

It is just a tool used to circumvent labor laws and remain a step removed from liability.

Legislation needs to address this before everyone who is employed as anything is a "contractor".

It is sinister with no benefit to the working man or woman.

bbsam

Staff member
It is just a tool used to circumvent labor laws and remain a step removed from liability.

Legislation needs to address this before everyone who is employed as anything is a "contractor".

It is sinister with no benefit to the working man or woman.

You really need to spend a week with a contractor before you have a clue about that.

vantexan

No union at express. Why don't they use contractors here?

R1a says the FAA requires regular employees to handle freight from pickup through to destination ramp. Once there contractors can be used for delivery. I've seen quite a few casuals over the years delivering freight but have never seen one doing pickups.