Doomsday Clock

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx runs Ground, not the contractors.

That's for sure.

Rather apparent by the way some of those "contractors" have unlimted time to spend on the FedEx discussions forums.

:hi5:

Come with me for a day and you'll see what it takes to run a business. I've been up since 4 am getting everything lined up. Between P&D and line haul my company operates 24 hours a day
i'm not impressed. At the end of the day it's still a scam outfit.

MAKAVELI

That's for sure.

Rather apparent by the way some of those "contractors" have unlimted time to spend on the FedEx discussions forums.

Come with me for a day and you'll see what it takes to run a business. I've been up since 4 am getting everything lined up. Between P&D and line haul my company operates 24 hours a day
Its a scam and all he is is an overpaid supervisor. But he thinks he's Donald Trump.

northbound

That's for sure.

Its a scam and all he is is an overpaid supervisor. But he thinks he's Donald Trump.

You mean I'm not? WTF?

bbsam

Staff member

You can call it a scam, but alot of what he and I do or are responsible for making sure gets done is exactly what the courts look at when deciding "degree of control". So simply disregarding it without understanding it undermines the credibility of your argument.

northbound

That's for sure.

It would take 3 full time Express managers, part time mechanic, and a part time driver to cover me

MAKAVELI

You can call it a scam, but alot of what he and I do or are responsible for making sure gets done is exactly what the courts look at when deciding "degree of control". So simply disregarding it without understanding it undermines the credibility of your argument.
There's a reason ground operates differently than Express in regards to pay, benefits, meal breaks, overtime, DOT laws, etc. They use so called" contractors" to avoid these costs and increase their profit. They could not operate this way if every driver was an employee of FedEx. Thus the term " scam is applied to the Ground opco. Plain and simple you are a means to an end. Nothing else.

bbsam

Staff member
There's a reason ground operates differently than Express in regards to pay, benefits, meal breaks, overtime, DOT laws, etc. They use so called" contractors" to avoid these costs and increase their profit. They could not operate this way if every driver was an employee of FedEx. Thus the term " scam is applied to the Ground opco. Plain and simple you are a means to an end. Nothing else.

As are you a means to an end...for now. I'm cool with that. You?

MAKAVELI

That's for sure.

It would take 3 full time Express managers, part time mechanic, and a part time driver to cover me
Just how many routes does it take 3 managers, a part time driver, and part time mechanic to run?

bbsam

Staff member
Me and many others.

Let me ask you this, would YOU ever want your kid to be a Ground Driver? And if not, why?
Sure. I was essentially a Ground driver for the first few years when it was RPS. It was a definite step up from cab driver. What I would encourage them to do is learn a bunch of routes, show up early and stay late. Learn the business from the Ground up. In time, if Fedex is not for them, they have a damn good paid internship to put on a resume. People can "settle" in any job. I don't want my kids to ever settle. Always move forward and set new goals. Do that and it will be hard not to have great self worth and success.