Driver runs over dog in driveway - Leaves note

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_1998.GIF
So what is the UPS policy for notifying the family? What about breaking medical care?

over9five

Staff member

over9five

Staff member
are you talking about the ordinance I posted?
Yes, didn't read the whole thing, so if I missed anything...

I think... If a dog gets run over ANYWHERE, driveway, road, whatever.... then the OWNER should be held accountable. The OWNER did not have control of the animal, which led to its demise.

wayfair

swollen member
Yes, didn't read the whole thing, so if I missed anything...

I think... If a dog gets run over ANYWHERE, driveway, road, whatever.... then the OWNER should be held accountable. The OWNER did not have control of the animal, which led to its demise.
here's the ordinance

CHAPTER 3, ARTICLE 4, SECTION 3-51: DUTY OF DRIVER UPON STRIKING A PET ANIMAL TO BE ADDED AS FOLLOWS:

Duty of Driver upon Striking a Pet Animal:

Every operator of a self-propelled vehicle upon the ways of this State open to the public shall immediately upon injuring or striking a pet animal shall give aid to such animal or immediately notify the Animal Control Officer or Police Officer, furnishing sufficient facts relative to such injury. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of two hundred dollars ($200).

here's the kicker...

“Pet animal” means any animal sold or kept for the purpose of being kept or domesticated as a household pet. Pet animal includes but is not limited to dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, rats, mice, nonpoisonous arachnids, non-poisonous insects, non-venomous snakes and fish.

AlliSeeisBrown

I don't mess with dogs anymore after I got bit. Had a loose dog in a customers yard hop into the cab while I was trying to turn around and I sidekicked it all the way out of the cab and the customer came out screaming. Gave her the center number.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hey I'm a dog lover. Have had 6 so far in my life that have died of old age. Got two more right now. This dog
was constantly running loose chasing every vehicle that came down the road. The owner did absolutely
nothing about it. What was I suppose to do? Put my package car into a tree? Everybody in the neighborhood
knew it was going to happen. Just a matter of when and who would do it.
No You should have stopped the vehicle, until someone came and got the dog, So the rest of my career, I sat and waited until someone retrieved a dog if I saw one, anywhere near me, loose.

oldupsman

No You should have stopped the vehicle, until someone came and got the dog, So the rest of my career, I sat and waited until someone retrieved a dog if I saw one, anywhere near me, loose.

No toonertoo the owners were never home, they were at work. They simply let the dog outside all day untied and unfenced.
Everybody knew it. The cops knew it. And this dog chased every vehicle that came down the road. I know that's hard
to believe. It's the truth. It was just a matter of time until it got hit. It just happened to be me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No toonertoo the owners were never home, they were at work. They simply let the dog outside all day untied and unfenced.
Everybody knew it. The cops knew it. And this dog chased every vehicle that came down the road. I know that's hard
to believe. It's the truth. It was just a matter of time until it got hit. It just happened to be me.

I was being sarcastic.....

J

jibbs

Of course I know. He didn't call did he? If you care about your dog you don't let it run loose
all the time. We're comparing apples to oranges. It's obvious you love your dogs. You would never
let your dogs run wild all day. This guy did. Would I had felt bad if some dog I knew was a fenced in dog
got loose and I ran over him. Absolutely. I would had handled it completely differently.

Nah, you just think you know. You're looking at the situation and drawing an inference from implications and circumstance, but you don't know because you didn't have the common courtesy to admit your actions to the owner's face.

That's pretty much the only way you could know for certain whether or not you took away a family's beloved pet, but you, my friend, just seem to be thinking "Well, I never heard of it again so it must not've mattered." You know what we call that kind of thought, right? There's even an old wordplay joke that goes with it, if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down. I mean, I understand completely how you can come to that conclusion but in conversations like this I like to refer back to that mind-shattering concept Pulp Fiction introduced me to: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." Just because nobody told you they were hurt when their pet died doesn't mean they weren't hurt, it simply means they didn't tell you one way or the other. Any conclusion you draw past that is simply an educated guess until you have concrete evidence confirming either/or (i.e. "Yeah, dude, thanks, that dog was a pain in the ass," or, ::revves up the chainsaw and charges you:: )

I'll be honest, though, this really isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it seem to me. When I first read the thread I couldn't help but view it from the owners' perspective and kind of blocked out how a career-driver might look at the situation after decades of dealing with the ish. I'm starting to see why problematic animals on your route might not get any sympathy when it comes to accidental deaths. Just want to put that out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
Just think of the added stress this puts on the driver who killed the dog. Man, that would bother me for a while.

I honestly believe that the owner should find the driver and apologize for leaving the animal in harms way.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just think of the added stress this puts on the driver who killed the dog. Man, that would bother me for a while.

I honestly believe that the owner should find the driver and apologize for leaving the animal in harms way.
That's totally driver dependent. I wouldn't give it a second thought. No different to me than hitting a turtle or squirrel in the road.