Drivers going down.

working up a sweat

Stay hydrated. They pass out bottles of water to everybody entering the building in my hub. They even have a big ice machine in my hub. UPS buys cases of water here and fills up tipper barrels with ice and bottled water. After loading a trailer for 45 minutes my shirt is completely soaked and my ballcap is dripping sweat down the bill. I weigh about 165 and in my mid fifties. I sweat more than the average bear.

kingOFchester

AND YOUR AN IDIOT DUDE. WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO RUN THEIR PLANTERS(nutts) OFF IN 98 DEGREES. GO AHEAD AND DO IT AND END UP IN THE HOSPITAL WITH A HEATSTROKE LIKE A JACKASS. REALLY IDIOT COMMENT DUDE REALLY. YOU NEED TO BE SAFE AND STAY HYDRATED AND WORK AT A SAFE PACE WITH THE HEAT A PACE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE AT WHETHER THATS SLOW OR FAST. ONLY THE DRIVER KNOWS HIS PACE. IM SORRY MY HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THEIR BS FAKE MADE UP NUMBERS.

Trying to figure out what comment you think is an idiot?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Hope you OP always are as strong and acidic, as you are today. Likely not. Age, physical condition come into play at an advanced age for this job, as do stupidity and a superman complex. Let me tell you when your body fails it don't matter how big your ego is, you are down.
Ive seen people hit the dirt, who thought they were fine one minute, and reeling the next.
We have to be careful, we have to maintain, we have to get to the end of the day. And if you have to pace yourself to get there, then you do. In this Midwest, central Ohio area these days are rare. And I feel the breeze picking up, its blowing out.
Kudos to every one of you who made it, and prayers for any who fell.

Upsmule

Since Management has decided peak is now 12 months a year we had had at least 3 injuries a month this year running the gamut from sprains, broken bones, heat illness , slips falls, dog bites and shoulder injuries.

​Need there be any further evidence that the union and ups are in bed together?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

On a more serious note:

While we must remain hydrated, that is not the only thing to consider. I've been drinking 16-20 of the 16.9oz bottles of water per day. On Monday, I became light-headed, exhausted, and so drove to a dunkin donuts/BP gas station and "chilled" there for roughly an hour. Although that respite allowed me to get through the rest of my day with little trouble, I was still dizzy and a little woozy when I got home that night, not being right until I slept it off and woke up the next day.

Yesterday I split up my lunch so I could have two breaks during the day, but it felt like the 2nd one didn't do much, as I began to feel severely drained towards the end of the day (FTR, I drank 25 bottles of water, two bottles of Gatorade, and I squirted several of those Myo drops into some of my bottles of water). Guys, take your time, and take a break if need be. This weather ain't no joke.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
On a more serious note:

While we must remain hydrated, that is not the only thing to consider. I've been drinking 16-20 of the 16.9oz bottles of water per day. On Monday, I became light-headed, exhausted, and so drove to a dunkin donuts/BP gas station and "chilled" there for roughly an hour. Although that respite allowed me to get through the rest of my day with little trouble, I was still dizzy and a little woozy when I got home that night, not being right until I slept it off and woke up the next day.

Yesterday I split up my lunch so I could have two breaks during the day, but it felt like the 2nd one didn't do much, as I began to feel severely drained towards the end of the day (FTR, I drank 25 bottles of water, two bottles of Gatorade, and I squirted several of those Myo drops into some of my bottles of water). Guys, take your time, and take a break if need be. This weather ain't no joke.

When you sweat that much you are losing electrolytes so just water won't be enough to keep you going on these really hot days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
On a more serious note:

When you sweat that much you are losing electrolytes so just water won't be enough to keep you going on these really hot days.

You also need to eat small meals every few hours. It takes a lot of energy to keep your body cool on super hot days.

over9five

Staff member
We had one hub worker taken away by ambulance last night. It was easily the hottest day of the week long heatwave we've been in here in Mass. Absolutely amazing that more didn't go down.
​Shifting was just nasty.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

The electrolytes I knew about. The small meals I did not (especially since I am not that hungry between the water and the heat).

Funny PCM note: at Tuesday's PCM it was mentioned that somewhere in our district a safety observation was being done on a driver, when they observed him enjoying a rather heavy lunch. Now while the point made was a valid one-in this kind of heat you really don't want to eat too heavy-the fun had with that PCM......"Petty, we did an observation on you the other day and we found..YOU ARE A PIG! You're fat! Cut it down...now sign right here." "Forget 3-points and left-right-left; a burger will cost you a warning letter you keep it up!"

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
All, besides some of the humor found in this thread, which is needed due to the potentially fatal topic discussed.

Very good advice contained within the body of this thread.
kingOFchester (kOc) thank you for starting this thread.

Like everything else, it is all about Awareness.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
It's a ****ing mess down south. The humidity has been ridiculous in the hub since last month, but now it has the heat to back it up. :sick:

One of my guys just got hired on the day sort and he's miserable. UPS HR at my hub decided to go on a hiring blitz in mid-summer rather than stack up personnel in early spring to let them get acclimated to the work before the heat started. And they're wondering why their new hire turnover has been close to 100%..