Drivers Working Preload (“Extra Work”) But Going Home After Poll

Is it ok when a driver works preload “extra work” then uses seniority to go home as an extra driver?

• No. They already reported to work therefore aren’t an extra driver.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, seniority rules.

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • It’s not a contract violation but is morally wrong. They are screwing others out of extra work.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overpaid Union Thug

I should’ve stated more clearly that the poll was geared towards the scenario we have here in my local/supplement. Not what goes on in other supplements. I thought that the last sentence of my opening comment would’ve been more than enough to indicate that we have an extra work list.

In my region when there are extra employees management has to go down the seniority list and ask who wants off. Drivers are coming in to work preload off of the extra work list but then are using their seniority to avoid running their routes when there’s extra drivers. This is pissing off people who actually wanted extra work and feel they are being robbed of it because of the drivers that are going home. It seems like if management really wanted to they could just treat those drivers as they would any other employee that’s already been on the clock for four or five hours and make them finish their day.

In my opinion, whether it was a contract violation or not, it is a rather ****ed up thing to do. I would never do that to someone that genuinely wants/needs the extra money. I have no skin in the game (driving is enough for me) but I have been asked about this by drivers that I know in several buildings. I didn’t have an answer contractually. And from what I’m hearing our BA doesn’t either. So, I thought I would poll it on BC.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sounds like they are awarding extra work by seniority and awarding time off by seniority. No system is perfect but imho that's the best way to do it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our preload is always a dumpster fire
All part of the plan...
source.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That’s my opinion as well. Seems like some want their cake and want to eat it too.

Maybe because they worked preload (supposedly as “extra work”) and are already on the clock and therefore available?
Fine but I do not see how that is any different than at ~9am. Remember that 90% of drivers offered extra work likely hit *click* at 5am

Overpaid Union Thug

Fine but I do not see how that is any different than at ~9am. Remember that 90% of drivers offered extra work likely hit *click* at 5am
They sign the sheet first. Then are called when needed. If they don’t answer then they move down the list. Sometimes they are asked the day before. I guess the logic behind the complaints about them going home is that if they’ve already agreed to work preload and are already there then they are available to work their normal shift as well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They sign the sheet first. Then are called when needed. If they don’t answer then they move down the list. Sometimes they are asked the day before. I guess the logic behind the complaints about them going home is that if they’ve already agreed to work preload and are already there then they are available to work their normal shift as well.
okay but anyone with less seniority is available, too, with more DOT hours going for them. On their normal shift.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The people who are unhappy are the ones who want to work preload then drive, but can't because higher seniority drivers are working preload, right? And these unhappy drivers want to force the drivers who are working preload to drive afterwards so they will stop working preload, allowing the unhappy drivers to do both?

I would say that seniority rules, the higher seniority drivers have the right to work the preload and go home after if there are other drivers who would be sitting at home otherwise. The unhappy drivers should try to request any overtime that the lower seniority drivers would be getting while covering the preload workers' routes. Everyone would get to work as much as they want according to seniority, win-win.

22.34life

Extra work is extra work
They get that option because they have the seniority
Seniority also affords you the right to work NOT the right not to work.
If you reported to work then you are available to work and should not get the option to go home unless you are out of hours
Depends on supplement,the southern supplement seniority definitely gives u the right to go home,article 48,64.my question is why are drivers being called in to perform part time work.should be going off the part time seniority list for part time extra work.