Drivers Working Preload (“Extra Work”) But Going Home After Poll

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Overpaid Union Thug, Aug 13, 2019.

?

Is it ok when a driver works preload “extra work” then uses seniority to go home as an extra driver?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2019.
  1. No. They already reported to work therefore aren’t an extra driver.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Yes, seniority rules.

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. It’s not a contract violation but is morally wrong. They are screwing others out of extra work.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dogs.bite.me

dogs.bite.me Active Member

In southern, time off unpaid is granted in seniority order.

2. 22.34life

22.34life Active Member

My building has a part time seniority extra work list for inside work.drivers shouldn't be coming in taking part time work,let those part timers eat,jesus.

3. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

That’s sounds better than what’s going on now. I’m not interested in working preload or any other shift in addition to my route. If I were I’d opt for working on local sort instead. But none of the people that sign up for preload are willing to.

But if they were should they, as extra drivers, be allowed to opt out of running their routes but still be able to come in and work local sort? I mean it’s essentially what’s happening now but in reverse.

May be the best and simplest solution would be if people who do not actually want the extra work to keep their names off the extra work list? LOL

4. Netsua 3:16

Netsua 3:16 Active Member

Happens every day here. Guys that have been here for 15+ years coming in to do preload then going home.... except lately what’s happening is those guys are forced to run their routes due to staffing; which in turn cuts about 50 stops onto someone else to keep them under dot. Slightly annoying when you have to run the same loop, especially when they can’t finish their route and you have to go clean it up on top of the extra work. However, seniority and weekends are the only control we have over our lives and I have no problem with the whole scenario.

5. Nike

Nike Active Member

UPS deliberately keeps a crappy preload.
    The only real alternatives would be to pay significantly more per hour and/or giving all preloaders full-time status.
    UPS would rather go out of business than do this so a crappy preload becomes standard nation wide.

6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Over half of my buildings midnight and preload are Art 22.3 employees just because it can not be properly staffed. Then you have the preload/air drivers who end up running ground everyday because we can't hire enough FT drivers.

7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

If you go to work you are available, period.

Locking thread now.

8. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

You're getting a little carried away with your moderator powers. Lol.

9. rudy5150

rudy5150 Active Member

Can full timers working local sort or preload be held accountable for technology?

10. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

What technology?

11. Scanners?

12. 542thruNthru

Then yes they can be held to it. They won't do it because they need them but they can be disciplined.

13. rudy5150

rudy5150 Active Member

Yes scanners.

14. I don't use them if I help preload. I just put my initials on the package

15. zero

zero Member

Same thing at my center. Some drivers coming in to run early a.m.'s then getting a call while they're out asking if they want the lay off for the day. Our center works several cover drivers every day. Some are about to get 156 reports so that will turn into full time jobs though. Im in Southern

16. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Why do the snowflakes have such a hard time figuring out how seniority works?

17. Indecisi0n

No time to read up on it with all the fortnite tournaments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. 542thruNthru

Problem is seniority has been perverted into "how can I screw my fellow worker."

It's no longer just us against them. Its us against them unless I can work something out under the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Indecisi0n

My snowflake generation sucks big time .

20. 542thruNthru

The snowflake gen doesn't have seniority. :)