Drivers Working Preload (“Extra Work”) But Going Home After Poll

Is it ok when a driver works preload “extra work” then uses seniority to go home as an extra driver?

• No. They already reported to work therefore aren’t an extra driver.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, seniority rules.

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • It’s not a contract violation but is morally wrong. They are screwing others out of extra work.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22.34life

My building has a part time seniority extra work list for inside work.drivers shouldn't be coming in taking part time work,let those part timers eat,jesus.

Overpaid Union Thug

The people who are unhappy are the ones who want to work preload then drive, but can't because higher seniority drivers are working preload, right? And these unhappy drivers want to force the drivers who are working preload to drive afterwards so they will stop working preload, allowing the unhappy drivers to do both?

I would say that seniority rules, the higher seniority drivers have the right to work the preload and go home after if there are other drivers who would be sitting at home otherwise. The unhappy drivers should try to request any overtime that the lower seniority drivers would be getting while covering the preload workers' routes. Everyone would get to work as much as they want according to seniority, win-win.

That’s sounds better than what’s going on now. I’m not interested in working preload or any other shift in addition to my route. If I were I’d opt for working on local sort instead. But none of the people that sign up for preload are willing to.

But if they were should they, as extra drivers, be allowed to opt out of running their routes but still be able to come in and work local sort? I mean it’s essentially what’s happening now but in reverse.

May be the best and simplest solution would be if people who do not actually want the extra work to keep their names off the extra work list? LOL

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Happens every day here. Guys that have been here for 15+ years coming in to do preload then going home.... except lately what’s happening is those guys are forced to run their routes due to staffing; which in turn cuts about 50 stops onto someone else to keep them under dot. Slightly annoying when you have to run the same loop, especially when they can’t finish their route and you have to go clean it up on top of the extra work. However, seniority and weekends are the only control we have over our lives and I have no problem with the whole scenario.

Nike

UPS deliberately keeps a crappy preload.
The only real alternatives would be to pay significantly more per hour and/or giving all preloaders full-time status.
UPS would rather go out of business than do this so a crappy preload becomes standard nation wide.

PT Car Washer

UPS deliberately keeps a crappy preload.
The only real alternatives would be to pay significantly more per hour and/or giving all preloaders full-time status.
UPS would rather go out of business than do this so a crappy preload becomes standard nation wide.
Over half of my buildings midnight and preload are Art 22.3 employees just because it can not be properly staffed. Then you have the preload/air drivers who end up running ground everyday because we can't hire enough FT drivers.

Indecisi0n

This is currently an issue in several of the buildings in our local. To me the language (National and Southern) seems silent on the issue. Some argue seniority. Others argue that having worked preload means the driver has already made themself available to drive. Some feel that, at the very least, it’s screwing other people (that didn’t get the call to work) out of extra work/OT. I figured I poll BC.
If you go to work you are available, period.

Locking thread now.

zero

Same thing at my center. Some drivers coming in to run early a.m.'s then getting a call while they're out asking if they want the lay off for the day. Our center works several cover drivers every day. Some are about to get 156 reports so that will turn into full time jobs though. Im in Southern