Egos

Cementups

Box Monkey
What is your point? How much does your friends and family, who work jobs with normal hours make an hour, or are they salary?
Your friends and family have zero to do with the fact that many UPS drivers are a bit egotistical and overpaid.

The reason we are "overpaid" by your standard is because of the sacrifices we make for the job. I have a plethora of friends and and all of them have normal 9-5 working hours. In my nearly 20 years as a driver, do you know how many Happy Hours I've made it to? none. Do you know how many of my kids events I missed or got to late because I was out working my overpaid job? A lot.

and as far as what they make, most of them make generally what I do, most a little less. But they are home at normal hour daily. I'm the only guy that can't make plans because I don't know when I'll be off. Hard to have a life outside of UPS when there is no normalcy.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The reason we are "overpaid" by your standard is because of the sacrifices we make for the job. I have a plethora of friends and and all of them have normal 9-5 working hours. In my nearly 20 years as a driver, do you know how many Happy Hours I've made it to? none. Do you know how many of my kids events I missed or got to late because I was out working my overpaid job? A lot.

and as far as what they make, most of them make generally what I do, most a little less. But they are home at normal hour daily. I'm the only guy that can't make plans because I don't know when I'll be off. Hard to have a life outside of UPS when there is no normalcy.
WE DESERVE EVERY PENNY WE MAKE. And for all the reasons youve mentioned above. Everybody wants to make what we make but dont want to do what we do everyday and lets be real dude, most people dont have the mental discipline and mental strength to endure what we do for the long haul like most of us SOLDIERS have done.

wayfair

swollen member
Sure, it's nice to be off after 8 hours of work... but we have to request an 8 hours day, a week in advance, only 2 per month, smh

do I have an ego? not sure, maybe...

my loader gets to clock out before 5 hours worked and has left me his sh* load to deal with...
I wish he'd listen to me before his p/t supe (who is prolly younger than him) as to actually do the job right!

I still say, preloaders need to ride with the drivers at least a couple of days to actually see what their part is through the brown chain

MAKAVELI

WE DESERVE EVERY PENNY WE MAKE. And for all the reasons youve mentioned above. Everybody wants to make what we make but dont want to do what we do everyday and lets be real dude, most people dont have the mental discipline and mental strength to endure what we do for the long haul like most of us SOLDIERS have done.
SOLDIERS you are not. Many have DIED on the BATTLEFIELD for less than a third of what you make.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Lets be honest and real, the loaders arent trained right in the 1st place. The system that is in place now on how to load trucks, just doesnt work. The old school system worked way better than this DUMBING DOWN OF THE JOB NONSENSE THEY TRAIN THEM NOWADAYS.

wayfair

swollen member
Lets be honest and real, the loaders arent trained right in the 1st place. The system that is in place now on how to load trucks, just doesnt work. The old school system worked way better than this DUMBING DOWN OF THE JOB NONSENSE THEY TRAIN THEM NOWADAYS.
exactly... game for vets... take an off area, pull the pal label off and give it to management.... take a pic of the "deer in headlights" look because they dont know sh*

MAKAVELI

FIGURE OF SPEECH DUDE, WE KNOW WHAT THEY SACRIFICE FOR THE FREEDOM OF OUR COUNTRY AND I THINK WE ALL HAVE NOTHING BUT THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR THEIR SACRIFICE FOR OUR COUNTRY.
And they are the only ones that could be considered SOLDIERS. IMHO. What you do requires only work ethic for which that nice check is motivation. There are many people who work just as hard as you for substantially less. It's all a matter of perspective bro. You have the premier job in the industry. Just don't lose that perspective. That's when it becomes EGOTISTICAL.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In 30 years I never had any customer or stranger come up to me and say "my (insert relationship here) is a part time sup or a full time sup or even a center manager at UPS". They ALWAYS said "my -------- is a big shot at UPS. At first I thought "just how many friggin big shots does UPS have"?
None that I met!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh come on now-----you know you hob-knobbed with them in the Ivory Tower
My experience has been there are no "big wigs" at UPS is what I meant.
The one's who act like it are not in my experience.
UPS puts people in charge who are obsessed with UPS and not about themselves or popularity.
Now once they leave UPS, I have seen some pretty ostentatious behavior and material.
I remember the first UPS CEO I met (Jack Rogers) and he was driving a 15 year old Tempest and wore an off-the-rack suit.
Made an impression on me that has lasted.

oldngray

nowhere special
Some routes your truck will get dirty in just a few minutes. Gravel roads and parking lots are particularly bad. A preloader called the cars in my loop the pig trucks because they got so dirty.

Definitely not the same as human waste left in a truck by a filthy slob.