employee/supervisor relationship

TUT

I think it's important that both laborer and supervisor understand the possibilities. I think it's unfathomable a company could ever have any say in such matters and if they do, how we could ever allow them to have such powers. That said if the two parties take it into work, that is the part they have to be smart about, it could possibly cost them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is actually a company policy against fraternization between management and hourlies, not sure how much if any it is enforced anymore. May have even been removed but I have seen sups lose jobs for getting to "familiar" with hourliesI find it. Don't have my policy book with me, but I will post it when I find it.

Wouldn't that be a job for Integrity???

browniehound

I believe its as simple as this : hourly and management relationships outside of work context is bad for business. UPS is running a business and will do anything to avoid hurting the business. Just think of the talk that will perpetuate among the hourlies if a driver is seeing his boss? Word travels fast where I'm from and where I'm from a driver seeing (for lack of a better word to be "PG" rated here) would hurt operations in my opinion.

However, if the center really cared about the profit margin (or customers) instead of making certain numbers then I wouldn't be "dealt" a business stop that is the very last stop in my EDD to a place that is a daily scheduled pick-up at 1500 on a different route.

I have at least 60 business stops of my own and can't possibly make it there by 1500. The other route would simply deliver and PU at the same time anywhere between 1430-1515. So he goes there at 1500 for the PU and they ask: where is OUR stuff? This poor driver now has to say he doesn't have it but you will get it by the end of the day (I can make it by 1730 if I break trace and they are still open but are going to close at 1800 'who wants that? is that service?') How is the PU driver to explain to a customer that he goes to PU why they haven't got their delivery yet?

He could explain it but it would take many tens of minutes and would not make any sense to this customer. All they want is their stuff when a UPS driver shows up for a PU. How hard is that? Its how the EDD and loop is written. This stop is in the middle of a large residential area, so the dispatch sup just 'clicks and drags' (going on 7 straight days now) these stops with this business/PU (for the other route) being the last stop. Why can't he just break it off right before this stop?

We tell this dispatch sup. that this specific stop is a daily pick-up for the other route please don't include it in the split. So what does he do? He includes it in the split day after day.

I've given up. How much more can I say? I'm pro UPS and give a crap about the company and the customer, but things like this really make me loose faith, because its like he doesn't care as long as his computer 'spits' out certain numbers. This PU was mostly an ODS until the driver put in a lead and got them to use us exclusively as a daily PU and now we are pulling this crap on them because the baselines are cut for the summer?

Does management ever think: what is this driver supposed to say when he goes for the PU and they ask where their delivery is? "Your here to PU, but where is our delivery? He has to say someone else has it. How does that sit in this business owner's mind? It doesn't shine UPS in a good light to say the least. I mean GOOD GRIEF! Its so simple of an issue but it refuses to get addressed at my center.

It also goes beyond this. Things like 2 drivers passing each other and making deliveries on the same street or splitting a house-call section in which there is only one way in and one way out. Why would you send TWO drivers in their?

Its crap like this that makes me believe UPS makes money despite itself as the efficiency and stop density is so great that there is absolutely no way any idiot couldn't make money if left in charge of the company. Its the one major gripe I have with the company.

Why can't you dispatch your routes in a logical and efficient manner? Its a simple question. Why do you have to 'criiss-cross' drivers and give deliveries to someone other that who is picking up when its an on route pick-up?

Do you care how it makes us look? It makes us look like the biggest joke to come down the pike. When our customers see this and KNOW us we become just one huge farce. They see these things and scratch their head.

So we have a management person who will not move one stop to another driver who HAS to be there to pick-up and another management person who yells out " HELLO UPS" 185 times on a space and vis ride every time we stop the truck and approach a stop. Seriously, why are you doing that? If the resident didn't hear my diesel engine roar through the neighborhood and see two men dressed in brown get out of a very large truck, then they are not going to hear some idiot yell out "HELLO UPS"!

Well, do ya think so? The resident must be thinking. I guess I could have been Osama Bin Laden, Whitey Bulger, or a thief, but "Hello UPS" cleared it up for them. Just yesterday I was nicely greeted by a woman who said when my truck comes though the neighborhood it "sounds like thunder" Its obvious when my truck is roaring through the streets and more obvious when it stops in front of your house. If they are home they usually come out (except for the shy ones that get amazon, QVC, HSN, etc., every day . they are too embarrassed to come to the door and show their online shopping-compulsive laden faces) and if they don't it means they are not home. Yet, we have my joker of a supervisor yelling out "hello UPS" even though the windows and doors are shut and there is not one car in the driveway.

I bring this up because I was asked about this by a neighbor of a house we delivered to. What is that gut yelling for? I heard him 3 times on the street. "We all know you are here, the loud engine and huge truck kind of gives you away, stating its UPS is not necessary".

My point is we have a supervisor playing by the book when it doesn't matter by yelling something totally obvious and doesn't matter on the bottom line and then a totally different supervisor that (or won't) make a few clicks of his mouse and save real, large dollars by reducing miles (huge dollars in fuel0 and OT labor costs and not making us an embarrassment to the general public.

Two ends of the spectrum that make us a total laughing stock to the public. It just doesn't make any sense to them because they(and I) don't see Fed-Ex pulling any of these idiotic stunts. Who are you going to choose in the end?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Great post, but you may as well talk to a mud puddle.
I sometimes do it to make sure there isnt a dog, I sometimes dont do it as I dont really want to be met by anyone.:surprised:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Do you care how it makes us look? It makes us look like the biggest joke to come down the pike. When our customers see this and KNOW us we become just one huge farce. They see these things and scratch their head.

So we have a management person who will not move one stop to another driver who HAS to be there to pick-up and another management person who yells out " HELLO UPS" 185 times on a space and vis ride every time we stop the truck and approach a stop. Seriously, why are you doing that? If the resident didn't hear my diesel engine roar through the neighborhood and see two men dressed in brown get out of a very large truck, then they are not going to hear some idiot yell out "HELLO UPS"!

Well, do ya think so? The resident must be thinking. I guess I could have been Osama Bin Laden, Whitey Bulger, or a thief, but "Hello UPS" cleared it up for them. Just yesterday I was nicely greeted by a woman who said when my truck comes though the neighborhood it "sounds like thunder" Its obvious when my truck is roaring through the streets and more obvious when it stops in front of your house. If they are home they usually come out (except for the shy ones that get amazon, QVC, HSN, etc., every day . they are too embarrassed to come to the door and show their online shopping-compulsive laden faces) and if they don't it means they are not home. Yet, we have my joker of a supervisor yelling out "hello UPS" even though the windows and doors are shut and there is not one car in the driveway.

I bring this up because I was asked about this by a neighbor of a house we delivered to. What is that gut yelling for? I heard him 3 times on the street. "We all know you are here, the loud engine and huge truck kind of gives you away, stating its UPS is not necessary".

My point is we have a supervisor playing by the book when it doesn't matter by yelling something totally obvious and doesn't matter on the bottom line and then a totally different supervisor that (or won't) make a few clicks of his mouse and save real, large dollars by reducing miles (huge dollars in fuel0 and OT labor costs and not making us an embarrassment to the general public.

Two ends of the spectrum that make us a total laughing stock to the public. It just doesn't make any sense to them because they(and I) don't see Fed-Ex pulling any of these idiotic stunts. Who are you going to choose in the end?

Re-Raise

I have a very good relationship with my supervisor, thank you very much. I even go over this persons house and mingle with his family. Jealous?

Since I am pretty sure you still live with your mom , I hope you tell her where you are going so she doesn't worry.

browniehound

Great post, but you may as well talk to a mud puddle.
I sometimes do it to make sure there isnt a dog, I sometimes dont do it as I dont really want to be met by anyone.:surprised:

Thanks Tooner, you're right, so consider this forum my mud puddle. I was just venting after a long day and I apologize for such a long post. Normally I wouldn't do that but I got going really good and wanted to finish my thought. Thank you for reading.

Aegis

What if a upser can show up 2 hrs late and still be able to work and not follow the guidelines on attendance, even tho there isn't one, and still be able to work and let's say Me shows up 20 min late and get told to go home?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What if a upser can show up 2 hrs late and still be able to work and not follow the guidelines on attendance, even tho there isn't one, and still be able to work and let's say Me shows up 20 min late and get told to go home?
Show up on time, don't give them the opportunity to not work you.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You're about 6 years late to this thread...