Express going "independent" ...and to current events

It will be fine

It's so easy a cave man can do it! Lmao!
Somehow Express manages it. Your drivers don't possess any special skill that makes it possible, your management is no better equipped than I am. Your average express driver doesn't care any more than my guys. The reality is the greater stop density would make it easier to manage than it currently is, all while saving on cost.

SmithBarney

"But he owns 15 trucks," as if that means anything, LOL!

Yup, and he fails to recognize that nice early ON ROAD time that his ground drivers enjoy, just wouldn't jive nicely with how late AIR shows up in comparison. Pressing your Ground operations back, increasing time on road, and if you pay hourly paying alot more, including pressing DOT HOS rules, etc.. Yes it could be done, not the way you think though, and it wouldn't be smooth at all, and I'm not sure FDX would risk its Express "Image"

SmithBarney

Somehow Express manages it. Your drivers don't possess any special skill that makes it possible, your management is no better equipped than I am. Your average express driver doesn't care any more than my guys. The reality is the greater stop density would make it easier to manage than it currently is, all while saving on cost.
Are you willing to have your drivers start delivering ground at noon? Because other than combination stops, express would most likely put it in your contract to deliver all time commit packages first.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
"But he owns 15 trucks," as if that means anything, LOL!
It does to him . Had a buyer that went to the bank , jumped through the hoops , had the check and FedX did not approve him . Killer . He has worked harder than any one I know for years keeping things going for barely a middle income life .Now they won't even let him bow out with some dignity .

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Might be hard to get those p1200 drivers to hit multiple commit times..
830/1030/1430/2000

You hear how easy it would be for Ground to absorb that stuff. Then we have guys come to Express from Ground, send them out with half the volume they had when they were with Ground, and they struggle.

dezguy

Yep, there's nothing like covering the same territory 3 or 4 times a day. And don't forget on-call pickups with an hour window. Usually less than an hour after you leave there and are 10 miles or more away.
Add in third party call in's where the sender needs an AWB, CI and FCC declaration. Are
minimum wage ground drivers going to help the sender with those, let alone wait an extra 5 min for the sender to fill them out?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It's difficult to understand a company bearing the same name , doing the same thing , with completely different operational methods to do it.

You mean as an outsider with little to no knowledge about how either operation works and succeeds, you don't understand how it works? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

MAKAVELI

Add in third party call in's where the sender needs an AWB, CI and FCC declaration. Are
minimum wage ground drivers going to help the sender with those, let alone wait an extra 5 min for the sender to fill them out?
Don't forget to add in DG shipments.

bbsam

Staff member
You hear how easy it would be for Ground to absorb that stuff. Then we have guys come to Express from Ground, send them out with half the volume they had when they were with Ground, and they struggle.
I find that extremely hard to believe. I've had three go to Express who only struggle with the micromanagement.

McFeely

Huge Member
1745? Are you in the middle of nowhere? Our drop dead time is either 2030 or 2100.

Out west here...our RTB is roughly 1800 and our CTV leaves before 1900. 1+ hour to the ramp.

A couple P1 stops wouldn't make much of a difference.

My Express route is covered by one Ground driver. I generally do 20-25 10:30 commits in my area, 80-90 P2 stops, and about 20 pups daily.

It's certainly not impossible for Ground to absorb my Express stuff, but it would make more sense for Ground to start taking our Express Saver stuff first, then the 2-day freight, then the SO stuff before they EVER started dealing with 10:30 P1s. It would be a slow transition to make sure the kinks get worked out. Add in extra sorting capacity for the current Ground terminals and it's definitely a bit more complicated than "my driver can handle a few more stops/packages".

It will be fine

Are you willing to have your drivers start delivering ground at noon? Because other than combination stops, express would most likely put it in your contract to deliver all time commit packages first.
They wouldn't be able to contract like that. That would me a manner and means type thing. They could dictate we had to meet the service commit times but not how we go about doing it.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
You mean as an outsider with little to no knowledge about how either operation works and succeeds, you don't understand how it works? SAY IT AIN'T SO!
Not so much how it works . How it will continue to succeed . Just from reading this single thread reveals trouble in paradise .