Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

Serf

I would say that the company is looking forward to your coworkers finding other employment. They probably have a new “near Ground level” pay scale. Might be an inside joke in Memphis: “Getting people in on the Ground level”. Insidious bastards.
Hard to disagree.

vantexan

Still have to service those areas for p1 and PU. Like I said it won't make much of a difference.
Have you ever run an extended area out west? You can burn an hour or more for one pkg. With absolutely nothing else around for miles. I knew a guy who had a Ground friend grab pkgs for him and meet him later in the afternoon. Usually just one at a rural county courthouse if he didn't have anything going out there that day. Saved over an hour roundtrip. If Ground is doing deliveries in that area even if he has to do the pickup he'll often save more than a half hour not doing the delivery. If not an hour. And that's just one pkg. If Ground is taking 10 stops a day off him he'll struggle to get 35.

vantexan

He we go again, blame the couriers for everything that goes wrong. Heaven forbid it’d be all the deadweight positions in Memphis. Now THAT’S expensive.
They've had buyouts to remove non-essential positions from Memphis. They're a lot leaner now.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Have you ever run an extended area out west? You can burn an hour or more for one pkg. With absolutely nothing else around for miles. I knew a guy who had a Ground friend grab pkgs for him and meet him later in the afternoon. Usually just one at a rural county courthouse if he didn't have anything going out there that day. Saved over an hour roundtrip. If Ground is doing deliveries in that area even if he has to do the pickup he'll often save more than a half hour not doing the delivery. If not an hour. And that's just one pkg. If Ground is taking 10 stops a day off him he'll struggle to get 35.
Corporate has always had blinders on when it comes to routes out in the boonies. Most likely because a lot of them don’t make much, if any money.

bacha29

The 2020 census is expected to show how rural populations are going down not up.Before you deliver a rural box you first have to have somebody to deliver to. Sure you might put a few more stops out in there but chances are thanks to weather, terrain and poor road quality more boxes simply will not speed up the work pace which in turn will probably require additional trucks all working at the same crawl along pace due to conditions the operator has no control over.

bacha29

Corporate has always had blinders on when it comes to routes out in the boonies. Most likely because a lot of them don’t make much, if any money.
As evidenced by the way Bezos is only taking the easy in town stuff and leaving the jing weeds to whoever he can get to haul his junk out there for next to nothing. Nobody wants to be out in there. Too many miles, too isolated, too slow going. too few boxes. Very similar to today's court approval of the Sprint/ T-Mobile merger. leaves only 3 carriers none of them want to be out in the rural areas and rest assured service to those areas will not improve no matter which carrier you're talking about.

bacha29

Remember what I said about attrition? Those contractors will be absorbed.
I've been watching the continued mark down in asking prices for contracts. The only parties that had been propping prices up the past few months were contract flippers and the investor class.

vantexan

As evidenced by the way Bezos is only taking the easy in town stuff and leaving the jing weeds to whoever he can get to haul his junk out there for next to nothing. Nobody wants to be out in there. Too many miles, too isolated, too slow going. too few boxes. Very similar to today's court approval of the Sprint/ T-Mobile merger. leaves only 3 carriers none of them want to be out in the rural areas and rest assured service to those areas will not improve no matter which carrier you're talking about.
Depends on where you're at. I've gotten good T-Mobile service in some pretty remote areas out West.

vantexan

The 2020 census is expected to show how rural populations are going down not up.Before you deliver a rural box you first have to have somebody to deliver to. Sure you might put a few more stops out in there but chances are thanks to weather, terrain and poor road quality more boxes simply will not speed up the work pace which in turn will probably require additional trucks all working at the same crawl along pace due to conditions the operator has no control over.
I've had remote routes in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. You'd be surprised just how much does get delivered out there, it's just over a much broader area. You can cover a lot of territory when you're speeding down the local two lanes. There are many small towns where you drive an hour to get to them, deliver 5 to 35 depending on the town, then drive another hour to the next town with a few stops in between. It's actually very satisfying work and with satellite radio it's a great job. I've worked at the edge of the New York City metro area, and in downtown Seattle. I would take my route in southern New Mexico over any of that foolishness any day, even with driving 320-380 miles a day, sometimes over 400, once over 500.

MAKAVELI

And? Are you saying they won't be shifting over freight that went Express but is within a couple hundred miles? Sounds to me, and I may be wrong, they're looking to trim as much OT as possible by shifting as much as possible.
You said they would only be handling regional Freight. I'm pointing out ie it's not regional.I'm pretty sure if this thing works they want to push pretty much all residential through ground

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
And? Are you saying they won't be shifting over freight that went Express but is within a couple hundred miles? Sounds to me, and I may be wrong, they're looking to trim as much OT as possible by shifting as much as possible.
My understanding is that NO Express business, or international, will be delivered by Ground.