Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

Star B

White Lightening
If any of you have seen an increase in engineers at your stations and/or talk of routes being restructured........
lol, no, our engineer is as worthless as ever, sitting in his office playing solitaire. must be too busy to actually go out on the road with couriers and see how the real world is. They just hide behind the numbers and don't look out the window.

Not enough volume in those areas to make a difference. They will be targeting high density resis even more.
actually, it's the best area, cuts down on the massive mileage on the trucks, the employee that's quite expensive per pkg and the incidentals (more deer/bad roads/etc). Puts the cost per package well in the $4.00+ range on the delivery end. Contrast that to an intown employee that's doing just 10SPH. Yes, the labor cost on the package is still kinda high at 10sph, but fuel and mileage savings more than make up for it.

let me know if my numbers are off but I think they seem sensible.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Just heard about this today. Supposedly chicago/ohare is going to start this in may but it's not a sure thing as to when...also they said there will be no more hiring even if people quit/retire .so...what do those of us that have been here like 5-10 years and just now realize this probably isnt a good idea to try and do this for long haul do from here? Everyone was like friend this let's walk out this buddy and quit!(nobody did) but im not sure where else to look for a job since this is all I've done lmao
Ground contractors are going to need more managers. If you’re good you can reply to their driver ads and ask if they are looking for managers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And the new guy that " someone else" is going to be working for fast food wages and zero benefits........and you want higher performance standards from him. Hahahaha! . Good luck with that! If high standards is your goal you're never going to get there by replacing a person with somebody who's going to get paid half as much as the guy he replaced.

The packages have to be delivered by 8 pm.

59 Dano

Probably not. The biggest shippers will be patient. The smaller ones may leave in some degree but not enough to negate the massive savings. In six months the new norm will take hold .

Some won't like it but they'll get used to it barring any serious issues. These are 8PM commits.

59 Dano

lol, no, our engineer is as worthless as ever, sitting in his office playing solitaire. must be too busy to actually go out on the road with couriers and see how the real world is. They just hide behind the numbers and don't look out the window.

Not their job to look out the window. Their job is to develop plans based on what the goals of the seniors and ops managers are and to get blamed when seniors/ops don't make the effort and say "Just do whatever you think looks good."

bacha29

Just heard about this today. Supposedly chicago/ohare is going to start this in may but it's not a sure thing as to when...also they said there will be no more hiring even if people quit/retire .so...what do those of us that have been here like 5-10 years and just now realize this probably isnt a good idea to try and do this for long haul do from here? Everyone was like friend this let's walk out this buddy and quit!(nobody did) but im not sure where else to look for a job since this is all I've done lmao
Those who are considering making a move should be under age 40 debt free and have enough cash on hand to last at least 6 months preferably more. And if possible get completely out of this segment of the economy.

MAKAVELI

actually, it's the best area, cuts down on the massive mileage on the trucks, the employee that's quite expensive per pkg and the incidentals (more deer/bad roads/etc). Puts the cost per package well in the $4.00+ range on the delivery end. Contrast that to an intown employee that's doing just 10SPH. Yes, the labor cost on the package is still kinda high at 10sph, but fuel and mileage savings more than make up for it.

let me know if my numbers are off but I think they seem sensible.
Still have to service those areas for p1 and PU. Like I said it won't make much of a difference.

Star B

White Lightening
Not their job to look out the window. Their job is to develop plans based on what the goals of the seniors and ops managers are and to get blamed when seniors/ops don't make the effort and say "Just do whatever you think looks good."
And when I've heard out of his mouth "I tell your manager what to do, I run the show here"... that doesn't sound like he's told what to make happen.

Serf

Collapse night routes.
Day routes start later.
P1 time commit noon instead of 1030.
Poach pickups from night routes to day routes.
Operational needs. I will say from our little corner people are already thinking about finding other line of work.

Gone fishin

Collapse night routes.
Day routes start later.
Operational needs. I will say from our little corner people are already thinking about finding other line of work.
Didn’t see anything about the noon change. Ups would destroy us on 1030 if that’s true.

Maui

I think this goes far beyond lazy couriers. The vast majority of us are hard-working and productive. This is more about FedEx is system of two operating companies unable to adapt to e-commerce growth.
Agreed. Most work hard and that includes the managers. Duplicating the entire network on some packages is not cost-effective.

There is only so much that can be done from a cost or efficiency standpoint at each station. Of course there are underperforming locations/employees, but the cost structure is the biggest impediment to margin growth. The same thing exists with duplication of TNT and Express in Europe which balloons expenses. That change starts also by the end of Q4.

For the record, US Ops for Express have been pretty strong. US only margins have been over 9.8% during the last couple quarters. It's the international market that has really dented profitability.

bbsam

Staff member
Collapse night routes.
Day routes start later.
I would say that the company is looking forward to your coworkers finding other employment. They probably have a new “near Ground level” pay scale. Might be an inside joke in Memphis: “Getting people in on the Ground level”. Insidious bastards.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There was a reason I expressed so much frustration and aggravation about people not meeting and being held to standards - it's expensive. When things get too expensive, people look for cheaper alternatives.

This doesn't happen now if managers and seniors took care of the issues that were within their control.
He we go again, blame the couriers for everything that goes wrong. Heaven forbid it’d be all the deadweight positions in Memphis. Now THAT’S expensive.