Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vantexan

I feel being lumped in with swings and dispatchers is fair. No idea what a ramp agent makes. Some stations require swings to have a CDL, even though DOT doesn't require it, so they have the same license, just maybe a B instead of an A. As far as other companies paying more, many RTD type jobs making more than $20 starting out require road work. When I became a RTD in the mid 80's, the difference in pay was about .50. When they finally raised it to several $ an hr, it made a big difference. The company definitely needs to work on starting and non topped out salaries.
Most states have a basic CDL that's not an A or a B. That's what swings have. A B will let you drive box trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, passenger vehicles that are above a certain weight.

falcon back

Okay buddy, let’s assume I wasn’t referring to the top out pay that barely anybody makes lol. You’re as out of touch as a manager. Yes top out pay is more than a dollar more. I was referring to starting pay... you know the pay the bulk of express employees hover around. And getting a class B CDL IS WAY EASIER... a little harder due to the pre-trip??? There’s this thing called backing maneuvers and road test. In my state it’s a parallel park, 45 degree offset, and 90 degree back all with a 53 foot trailer. Then you go on road where you’re asked to identify road signs, bridge heights, take tight turns and do an emergency stop on the highway before returning. It’s quite a bit more specific and difficult than driving a 900 courier truck for a class B. I stand by my stance that RTD’s should be in a pay scale of their own, because like I said RTD’s have the most options for outside employment in the company. Yes even more options than aircraft mechanics.
Obviously you have no idea what a Class B is. Like I said, you must be a newhire. A Class B where I live is a Bob truck. Same road test. If you had the ability to read, you would see that I said the Pretrip for the A was more difficult than the B. The road text is more difficult because you are dragging a trailer and the skill level is different. Once you get the CDL, the requirements to keep the A and the B are the same. Out of touch? Like I said, I bet I was dragging trailers before you could spell Federal Express. CDL wasn't even around when I started as a RTD. Now your ego has you thinking you are more valuable than an Aircraft mechanic. Any bozo can drive a tractor. I met many on the road that could barely speak English and could barely read, but they could grab a gear and back a trailer. There is a shortage of RTD but there is also a shortage of mechanics. Not many truck drivers will make $60 to $70 an hr and there is a reason.

falcon back

Back when you were driving a cabover Ford FedEx was a lot more generous in topping out employees faster. He's talking about what's going on now. A lot easier to fill courier positions than RTD's from what he's saying. If it's going to take forever to top out, and a RTD has gotten a couple years experience in at FedEx, then he has immediate opportunities in dozens, heck hundreds of companies to immediately improve his financial situation.
He also thinks his job is more in demand than an aircraft mechanic. Not only is he clueless about the hrs and the pay some other employees work and make, he puts way more importance into the job he does. No doubt there is a nationwide shortage of drivers. Look at the idiots they put in a tractor today and compare their intelligence to those graduating A&P school. Roadmaster and Swift will enroll anyone with a pulse in their schools. Mechanics make 3 times what a RTD makes for a reason.

Last edited:

falcon back

Most states have a basic CDL that's not an A or a B. That's what swings have. A B will let you drive box trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, passenger vehicles that are above a certain weight.
What's your point? I am well aware of the various CDL. I tried to explain it to him.

It will be fine

He also thinks his job is more in demand than an aircraft mechanic. Not only is he clueless about the hrs and the pay some other employees work and make, he puts way more importance into the job he does. No doubt there is a nationwide shortage of drivers. Look at the idiots they put in a tractor today and compare their intelligence to those graduating A&P school. Roadmaster and Swift will enroll anyone with a pulse in their schools. Mechanics make 3 times what a RTD makes for a reason.
I believe the point is a driver with a CDL should be on a different pay scale than a guy driving a cargo van. There’s not really a good argument against it.

falcon back

You mentioned swings having a B CDL. Not that I ever saw. Was a swing twice and worked all over the country.
Learn to read. I never said a swing has a class B. I said some swings have a CDL, bob trucks require a B. Some states have a class C. Some states even have a class D.

MAKAVELI

You mentioned swings having a B CDL. Not that I ever saw. Was a swing twice and worked all over the country.
There are some swings B CDL but they are mainly 2 position drivers for their station who also work on the delivery side. But those positions are few and far between.

vantexan

That may be true about mechanic pay but how much turnover is there amongst aircraft mechanics nationwide? Get training as a mechanic you're likely to find a job but it may not be where you want to live. Truckers make good money and can pretty much live wherever they like because the demand is so high. Seems logical that FedEx would pay better to keep experienced drivers but like just about everything else FedEx would rather have turnover to keep the pay low. They tell you up front what the top out pay is without any intention to ever get you there. It's a scummy way to treat people and a very long way from the old P-S-P philosophy that at one time they seemed sincere about adhering to.

MAKAVELI

I believe the point is a driver with a CDL should be on a different pay scale than a guy driving a cargo van. There’s not really a good argument against it.

They are on a different scale. What's your question?

Hey bro. You try keeping up. A courier is on a different pay scale than a swing/dispatcher/RTD. Get your 5th grader to explain it to you.
Try learning how to read the posts you respond to, Gomer. 😎

vantexan

There are some swings B CDL but they are mainly 2 position drivers for their station who also work on the delivery side. But those positions are few and far between.
True, worked at a station where courier ran part time rt and drove the CTV to the ramp. He had a B. Vast majority of swings though only have the minimal CDL with haz endorsement.

Maui

Executives just don’t get it regarding RTD pay. Of course they’re out of touch and look at average wage. With so many high seniority it skews the pay and they think it’s competitive. I agree with Aquaman starting pay should be $24-$27/hr to compete. Because wages are so low who would stay for $19 when anyone with 2 years can easily make $5+/hr more after 2 years experience or sooner.

In some markets UPS is hiring feeder drivers at $32 off the street. The argument about being OTR is gone. Even at Freight where low seniority might be OTR there are also city drivers starting at $24. Express managers can’t hire RTD internally or externally.

Overall pay needs to increase at a price that is painful for the company. Not sure how that will work, but everyone knows this. I’m from rural East TN and mobile home manufacturers are posting signs for $25/hr. Those were decent jobs 15 years ago, but they didn’t even pay $20.

As for ACMX and VMX obviously vehicles are more transferable to more locations, but they’re paid well and top out quickly with step progression that is time definite and not taken away. I can’t recall, but I think a Senior Tech tops in 3 years.

MAKAVELI

Executives just don’t get it regarding RTD pay. Of course they’re out of touch and look at average wage. With so many high seniority it skews the pay and they think it’s competitive. I agree with Aquaman starting pay should be $24-$27/hr to compete. Because wages are so low who would stay for $19 when anyone with 2 years can easily make $5+/hr more after 2 years experience or sooner.

In some markets UPS is hiring feeder drivers at $32 off the street. The argument about being OTR is gone. Even at Freight where low seniority might be OTR there are also city drivers starting at $24. Express managers can’t hire RTD internally or externally.

Overall pay needs to increase at a price that is painful for the company. Not sure how that will work, but everyone knows this. I’m from rural East TN and mobile home manufacturers are posting signs for $25/hr. Those were decent jobs 15 years ago, but they didn’t even pay $20.

As for ACMX and VMX obviously vehicles are more transferable to more locations, but they’re paid well and top out quickly with step progression that is time definite and not taken away. I can’t recall, but I think a Senior Tech tops in 3 years.
I don't know about ACMX but VMX does top out in 3 years and at a very competitive rate vs diesel mechanics in the industry. Even Freight tops out in 3 years. I have no clue as to why FedEx treats RTD drivers the same as couriers.

Aquaman

Back when you were driving a cabover Ford FedEx was a lot more generous in topping out employees faster. He's talking about what's going on now. A lot easier to fill courier positions than RTD's from what he's saying. If it's going to take forever to top out, and a RTD has gotten a couple years experience in at FedEx, then he has immediate opportunities in dozens, heck hundreds of companies to immediately improve his financial situation.
Yep. There’s a truck driver shortage. That drives competition up & up. FedEx however has chosen not to compete. Hence our stations looking like an Ozark hub.

Aquaman

You flexing your time spent at Express does nothing but tell everyone how dumb you are for giving your life to this company lol. I’d stop doing that, it’s embarrassing. And when did I ever suggest an RTD job is “important” or more “in demand than an aircraft mechanic”?? My point was, if you can follow it, that there are WAY more truck driving jobs than aircraft mechanic jobs. Competition raises wages. Where is an aircraft mechanic gonna work other than the airport? Which most cities only have 1 or 2. There are hundreds upon hundreds of class A jobs within 45 minutes of my station all competing for the same driver. That’s a more competitive hiring frenzy. And driving a tractor trailer is a lot more difficult than driving a dump truck... give it up. Class A is much harder to obtain. The pre trip is harder, the maneuvers are harder, the road test is harder. All of its harder. And you need a class A to use air brakes with combination vehicles. Something a class B can’t do. And ya I’m aware retaining your CDL is the same process... something I never even argued lol. Congrats, you managed to miss every single point I made. You truly are an Express lifer.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You flexing your time spent at Express does nothing but tell everyone how dumb you are for giving your life to this company lol. I’d stop doing that, it’s embarrassing. And when did I ever suggest an RTD job is “important” or more “in demand than an aircraft mechanic”?? My point was, if you can follow it, that there are WAY more truck driving jobs than aircraft mechanic jobs. Competition raises wages. Where is an aircraft mechanic gonna work other than the airport? Which most cities only have 1 or 2. There are hundreds upon hundreds of class A jobs within 45 minutes of my station all competing for the same driver. That’s a more competitive hiring frenzy. And driving a tractor trailer is a lot more difficult than driving a dump truck... give it up. Class A is much harder to obtain. The pre trip is harder, the maneuvers are harder, the road test is harder. All of its harder. And you need a class A to use air brakes with combination vehicles. Something a class B can’t do. And ya I’m aware retaining your CDL is the same process... something I never even argued lol. Congrats, you managed to miss every single point I made. You truly are an Express lifer.
I’m an Express lifer too. Please don’t lump us all with that clown. He’s in a league all by himself.