Express Pay Increase?

Will Express Get a Pay Hike in 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aquaman

I don't know about ACMX but VMX does top out in 3 years and at a very competitive rate vs diesel mechanics in the industry. Even Freight tops out in 3 years. I have no clue as to why FedEx treats RTD drivers the same as couriers.
They treat us like couriers because they can. But it hurts them in the long run because like Maui said they can’t hire anyone internally OR externally. The jump between courier & RTD needs to be significant. Like $5/hr at least. More couriers would make the transition. But a courier getting on workday who sees an RTD job posted for $19/hr is gonna keep scrolling. They’re not gonna be an RTD swing for the same pay as guys that have routes. Cover an additional shift that couriers don’t work (3rd shift). And be on a very similar payscale. What’s the point? The point is to use the company to get your license and leave. That’s the incentive. We’ve become a training company for other companies. When there’s no reason this shouldn’t be one of the best most desirable jobs in the industry...

falcon back

You flexing your time spent at Express does nothing but tell everyone how dumb you are for giving your life to this company lol. I’d stop doing that, it’s embarrassing. And when did I ever suggest an RTD job is “important” or more “in demand than an aircraft mechanic”?? My point was, if you can follow it, that there are WAY more truck driving jobs than aircraft mechanic jobs. Competition raises wages. Where is an aircraft mechanic gonna work other than the airport? Which most cities only have 1 or 2. There are hundreds upon hundreds of class A jobs within 45 minutes of my station all competing for the same driver. That’s a more competitive hiring frenzy. And driving a tractor trailer is a lot more difficult than driving a dump truck... give it up. Class A is much harder to obtain. The pre trip is harder, the maneuvers are harder, the road test is harder. All of its harder. And you need a class A to use air brakes with combination vehicles. Something a class B can’t do. And ya I’m aware retaining your CDL is the same process... something I never even argued lol. Congrats, you managed to miss every single point I made. You truly are an Express lifer.
Sounds you must have really struggled when you got your Class A. You keep alluding to how difficult it is. I knew you were a newbie and once you commented about your years, that confirmed it. My power pad holster had more years than you do. Like I stated, any bozo can obtain a Class A, just talk to some of the recent graduates of Swift Academy.

Aquaman

Sounds you must have really struggled when you got your Class A. You keep alluding to how difficult it is. I knew you were a newbie and once you commented about your years, that confirmed it. My power pad holster had more years than you do. Like I stated, any bozo can obtain a Class A, just talk to some of the recent graduates of Swift Academy.
When did I ever say getting a class A was difficult? More difficult than obtaining a class B? Without question.

falcon back

When did I ever say getting a class A was difficult? More difficult than obtaining a class B? Without question.
LOL. You mentioned it over and over. Road test, pretrip, parallel parking, signs and bridges. You weren't even aware what a class B was. You thought a person driving a 900 needed a class B. Yep, you were one of those that failed the class A test a few times and feel like it's a monumental task to get 1. It's not that hard except for people like you.

falcon back

When I started it was a great job to have. It was extremely difficult to get a job here. Things change and then sometimes you’re stuck. I’m just holding out til retirement.
You should try changing teams, find a man to marry and maybe he will let you retire. Maybe you will the happiness that you are missing out on now.

Aquaman

LOL. You mentioned it over and over. Road test, pretrip, parallel parking, signs and bridges. You weren't even aware what a class B was. You thought a person driving a 900 needed a class B. Yep, you were one of those that failed the class A test a few times and feel like it's a monumental task to get 1. It's not that hard except for people like you.
You’re exhaustingly dumb for someone who’s been at express for a while... the rare courier swings who are required to have CDL class B’s, test in a 900. That doesn’t mean a 900 requires a CDL. But in order to haul significant haz on one, which is usually the reason for the class B, a swing would need the CDL. Few routes require the license. But my station does have heavy haz courier routes. And my description of the state class A test was in relation to you saying A & B are essentially the same. Not related to the difficulty of the class A test itself. I feel like you forget your own argument when you read my response.

Aquaman

By the way congrats on your old power pad holster. You should mount it on your wall and spotlight it as a token of your loyalty to a company that thought nothing of you.

Buhryein

Just throwing it out there, when in NY I had my CDL there was a base written test everyone had to take.

Then there were separate tests for endorsement, haz, pass, airbrakes etc.

Same base test easy enough to pass you can take the endorsments you want as you please one at a time, multiple at a time, and can retake them over and over.

Road test is no different you bring the vehicle you want to qualify for and go.

If you went with the goal to drive a trailer the on road test is as easy as if you went to get a passenger endorsement or your driver's license.

The difficulty is relative you go to take the test you prepared for and its just as easy as the guy getting his first time permit.

Not arguing what you should get paid ,
But if anything your argument is that you have a job that perhaps is higher risk. Then again I have guys in my station looking to retire in a few years trying to get a trailer position to ride out the last few years easy.

Last edited:

Aquaman

Just throwing it out there, when in NY I had my CDL there was a base written test everyone had to take.

Same base test easy enough to pass you can take the endorsments you want as you please one at a time, multiple at a time, and can retake them over and over.

If you went with the goal to drive a trailer the on road test is as easy as if you went to get a passenger endorsement or your driver's license.

The difficulty is relative you go to take the test you prepared for and its just as easy as the guy getting his first time permit.
A lot of states have the same written tests across the board. The maneuvers & road test while similar in relation to vehicle are going to be harder in the tractor trailer. It has to be. There’s more responsibility hauling more weight. Have a class B guy get in a tractor hooked up to a 53 and ask him if it’s the same as his garbage truck lol. The smashed cones will be your answer. A fixed vehicle test will ALWAYS be easier than an articulated vehicle test.

falcon back

Not arguing what you should get paid ,
But if anything your argument is that you have a job that perhaps is higher risk. Then again I have guys in my station looking to retire in a few years trying to get a trailer position to ride out the last few years easy.
It is obvious aqualman struggled with his test. He mentioned over and over how hard a Class A was to get, then he denied saying a Class A was hard to get. They teach you in tractor trailer training how to pass the pretrip. The class also covers every aspect of driving that would be covered on your road test. If you can't pass the test, maybe driving a tractor isn't for you.

falcon back

You’re exhaustingly dumb for someone who’s been at express for a while... the rare courier swings who are required to have CDL class B’s, test in a 900. That doesn’t mean a 900 requires a CDL. But in order to haul significant haz on one, which is usually the reason for the class B, a swing would need the CDL. Few routes require the license. But my station does have heavy haz courier routes. And my description of the state class A test was in relation to you saying A & B are essentially the same. Not related to the difficulty of the class A test itself. I feel like you forget your own argument when you read my response.
There you go talking about how hard the Class A was to get. You just denied saying the Class A was difficult, now you bring it up again. Yep, there is no doubt. You failed the Class A test a number of times.

falcon back

By the way congrats on your old power pad holster. You should mount it on your wall and spotlight it as a token of your loyalty to a company that thought nothing of you.
I quit using my holster several years ago. I didn't care what the company thought of me. Unlike most on here, all I cared about was getting a check every Thur and now that I retired, all I wait for is when I start drawing my pension in a few years. If I felt appreciated or wanted was of no concern of mine.

Buhryein

A lot of states have the same written tests across the board. The maneuvers & road test while similar in relation to vehicle are going to be harder in the tractor trailer. It has to be. There’s more responsibility hauling more weight. Have a class B guy get in a tractor hooked up to a 53 and ask him if it’s the same as his garbage truck lol. The smashed cones will be your answer. A fixed vehicle test will ALWAYS be easier than an articulated vehicle test.
Ok let me ask you, did you know that when taking a passenger test with a school bus road test they will bring you to a RR crossing, if you do not stop and open the passenger door you fail the test.

My point is you train for the test you're going to take. As far as driving tests go the difficulty is only based on how you trained.

I agree fedex doesn't pay anyone what they really should be getting, but "a harder test" is not the reason you deserve more.

Aquaman

There you go talking about how hard the Class A was to get. You just denied saying the Class A was difficult, now you bring it up again. Yep, there is no doubt. You failed the Class A test a number of times.
Again... more difficult than a class B. Not difficult... more difficult than a class B. Not difficult... more difficult than a class B. Find me one quote of me referring to the difficulty of the A test NOT in relation to the B test. If they were the same difficulty nobody would get a class B. Everyone would test for the A due to higher earning potential. The B exists for smaller lighter fixed vehicles. What’s easier to drive? A Mercedes sprinter or a freightliner cascadia hooked to a 53. Of course it’s completely easy and doable with the training genius. We’re talking about the struggle of hiring potential untrained NEW drivers. I’d love to see your ACT reading comprehension scores... yikes. You were in the right career field bud that’s for sure.

Aquaman

Ok let me ask you, did you know that when taking a passenger test with a school bus road test they will bring you to a RR crossing, if you do not stop and open the passenger door you fail the test.

My point is you train for the test you're going to take. As far as driving tests go the difficulty is only based on how you trained.

I agree fedex doesn't pay anyone what they really should be getting, but "a harder test" is not the reason you deserve more.
This was about hiring, and he stated a class A & B are essentially the same. One allows you to drive a semi, and one doesn’t. They’re not the same. And one vehicle is undoubtably more difficult to drive than the other. Not difficult with training. But surely more difficult than a straight truck. If I say driving a semi is harder than driving a Honda Fit... that does not mean I think driving a semi is hard.

falcon back

Exactly. You are trained to take the test that you are required to take. If you can't pass the test, you shouldn't do the job. Aquaman FINALLY passed his test and figured since he had trouble passing it, others must have the same problem. Just like when couriers were required to take the job knowledge test. Open book test based on the job you do every day, Couriers complained and cried and finally the test was abolished because idiots couldn't pass the test. Good think aquaman wasn't around back then. Sounds like he wouldn't be able to pass that test either.

falcon back

This was about hiring, and he stated a class A & B are essentially the same. One allows you to drive a semi, and one doesn’t. They’re not the same. And one vehicle is undoubtably more difficult to drive than the other. Not difficult with training. But surely more difficult than a straight truck. If I say driving a semi is harder than driving a Honda Fit... that does not mean I think driving a semi is hard.
Earlier you said Class B drivers were testing in 900's, now you say they are testing in straight trucks. You are all over the place with your incorrect facts. I never said A and B test were the same skill levels, I said once you obtain one, the rules to keep them are the same.