FedEx and UPS to compete with USPS for last-mile delivery

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Have access points at places that sell lottery tickets.
They have them at minimarts and such, but the few that I've seen have been absolute dives that ups should be ashamed to put their precious "shield" up in the window along with all of the cigarettes posters and Mexican phone card and money transfer companies.... sad

Box Ox

Good good....the selling point when ups asked these access points to get on board was that while the customer was getting their package they will buy some of the retailers crap....a pop, a bag of chips, that dry wrinkled up polish dog in the case...whatever. I have never seen anybody buy that crap at the ups store..a 10 dollar bag of packing peanuts...lol really??? Nobody buys those greeting cards because they suck! Only thing I've seen someone do besides ship a package ( after they calm down because a 5 pound package going from coast to coast is 29.00....!!!!) is get copies done or maybe a random notary here or there....why would they want to be responsible for even MORE packages that they don't have room for?????

I know I wouldn't buy shiz from an access point location since I'd be too busy being angry as heck about getting AP'd. Last thing I'm gonna do is crack open my wallet.

If UPS starts mass access pointing, shippers are going to actively try to avoid us for fear of upsetting their customers. Not good.

I was over riding access points because they are absolutely ridiculous...if these people wanted to go pick their stuff up at the store they wouldn't have ordered it to their doorstep online

You get away with it? Earns an office visit the next day at my center. Not that I don't support your thinking.

clean hairy

Imagine an access point having those heavy beds in a box, sets of 4 tires, and other bulky stuff.
Then, imagine the customer trying to fit that bulky stuff in their compact car.
AFTER they finish screaming at the access point folks for not delivering to their door as they wanted.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I know I wouldn't buy shiz from an access point location since I'd be too busy being angry as heck about getting AP'd. Last thing I'm gonna do is crack open my wallet.

If UPS starts mass access pointing, shippers are going to actively try to avoid us for fear of upsetting their customers. Not good.

You get away with it? Earns an office visit the next day at my center. Not that I don't support your thinking.
Nah...did it a couple times and I was in the office...I told him why I did it...he didn't disagree but said I had to access point them from now on

Brownsfan

One day UPS will be going to almost every house on the street. I see us delivering residential areas like they have helpers do it, hand truck, board, and some new balances.
The density is coming, ups just wants to pretend they're still living b2b era

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Imagine an access point having those heavy beds in a box, sets of 4 tires, and other bulky stuff.
Then, imagine the customer trying to fit that bulky stuff in their compact car.
AFTER they finish screaming at the access point folks for not delivering to their door as they wanted.
Probably already happening..

brown metal coffin

Some things don't have to be so complicated. People make them complicated. If you have a smart phone or a computer you can easily use UPS my choice to have your packages delivered wherever you want at your home and it's a free service. It even offers signature release. There's no surprise on when your packages are coming because you are notified as soon as they are shipped. When those promps pop up in my board it's such relief to know I won't have it on truck tomorrow for my access point. I love customers that actually plan and prepare.

bbsam

Staff member
It's part of the automated sortation system at Fedex. If there is a package due to be delivered at location x and there is a smart post package within 800 yards location x, it gets diverted to Ground instead of being delivered by post office.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
They just set us up with an access point that has a 20 mile radius. Try fitting that in on your Orion miles.

DieHardUPSER

Some things don't have to be so complicated. People make them complicated. If you have a smart phone or a computer you can easily use UPS my choice to have your packages delivered wherever you want at your home and it's a free service. It even offers signature release. There's no surprise on when your packages are coming because you are notified as soon as they are shipped. When those promps pop up in my board it's such relief to know I won't have it on truck tomorrow for my access point. I love customers that actually plan and prepare.

My Choice also has a feature that shows how far away from your house the driver is. Though I don't know if it is available everywhere yet.

JL 0513

Most of our Access Point stuff is city addresses that if you aren't DR'ing that means unsafe addresses. Perhaps you probably shouldn't being ordering stuff to your ghetto apt. if you have a day job and can't receive it. In these cases, you shoudn't be mad at UPS for not wanting to go to your apt. for 3 days with no one home. These types of people should be glad they can get it same day or next day at their neighborhood convenient store. Otherwise, Access Point should not be used in the suburbs and rural areas.

JL 0513

As for the OP's story. I don't really get what is being said. UPS delivers everywhere. Perhaps there's a few remote places we don't? But for the most part, we go further than the Post Office. The USPS often gets to deliver a whole area by just parking at a collection of mailboxes at the beginning of a street. The type of street/road that is often a pain to get to each house, or a private road, or sub-division, or whatever. Guess what UPS has to do? Go to each door step. WE do the last mile, not the Post Office.

JL 0513

You don't bring it to the access point the same day. It goes to the clerk and the driver that delivers to that access point delivers it the next day.

If you have an Access Point on your route, you DO bring pkgs the same day until you make the daily P/U. After that, next day. Assuming you use your AP's. Sometimes, the option for AP's for other routes are used in which case, yes, next day.

ManInBrown

If you have an Access Point on your route, you DO bring pkgs the same day until you make the daily P/U. After that, next day. Assuming you use your AP's. Sometimes, the option for AP's for other routes are used in which case, yes, next day.
Yes. If the access point is on your route, and you can get back there the same day then you do it.