FedEx down $1.22 UPS down 10¢

traveler

Where next? Venice
:crying: There are two threads on FedEx going ups much more that UPS. I didn't see anyone complaining about today's results in a down market where FedEx went down substantially when compaired to UPS. ($1.22 vs. 10¢)

:wink: It seems to me that UPS is just less volitile on a day to day basis.

ihadit

Take a look at the YTD returns, matter of fact take a look at the total return over the past 5 year period; then come back and let us know which is the better company to invest in.

satellitedriver

Take a look at the YTD returns, matter of fact take a look at the total return over the past 5 year period; then come back and let us know which is the better company to invest in.
IMHO, neither.
There are far better investments out there than either can match.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Value Investor Consensus Pick: UPS
Charlie Tian, GuruFocus.com 06.07.07, 11:30 AM ET

As GuruFocus updated portfolio listings with new stocks bought during the first quarter by the nearly 50 guru portfolios it tracks, UPS showed up as one of the biggest consensus picks. It has been bought by six gurus. Notably, it is also a position of Berkshire Hathaway, the investment company of Warren Buffett.

Dand_E_Don

Value Investor Consensus Pick: UPS
Charlie Tian, GuruFocus.com 06.07.07, 11:30 AM ET

As GuruFocus updated portfolio listings with new stocks bought during the first quarter by the nearly 50 guru portfolios it tracks, UPS showed up as one of the biggest consensus picks. It has been bought by six gurus. Notably, it is also a position of Berkshire Hathaway, the investment company of Warren Buffett.

I guess they like that UPS at least pays a respectable dividend which has been on a steady rise the last few years.

hoser

Industrial Slob
omgz fedex stock up 4 cents up stock is down 3 cents let's start a
thread trying to blame someone for it even though we have no qualification to talk about stocks. omgz gomz omgz

why does this forum allow stupid redundant threads like these?

moreluck

golden ticket member
from AP

S&P Volatility: Transportation Group
Wednesday June 27, 1:21 pm ET S&P Transportation Group More Volatile Than the Market As a Whole
NEW YORK (AP) -- As the first half of the year winds down, the transportation industry group of the S&P 500 has demonstrated less volatility than the index as a whole. The group has an average "beta value," or measure of volatility, of 0.99, which implies that, in theory, it is 1 percent less volatile than the market in general. Within the group, the highest-volatility stock is C.H. Robinson Worldwide, with a beta value of 1.07. The least-volatile stock is United Parcel Service, with a beta value of 0.75.

over9five

Staff member
"The least-volatile stock is United Parcel Service, with a beta value of 0.75."

I wouldn't call that a compliment, or a plus.

It's the least volatile because IT NEVER CHANGES!

mathematics

I don't know about you, but I receive a 10% discount on our stock as opposed to buying FDX. You make a 10% gain (not including the ever increasing dividend), if the stock price goes NOWHERE! I don't know about you, but investing in our stock in the DESPP with DRIP, is a no-brainer! If you leave it for 30 years, watch the wealth compound like mad. If you don't understand how stocks work, then please don't come in here to misinform.