Fedex Express Heavyweight Driver

Aquaman

You in heavyweight?
Yes. Was a courier for about 7 years. Then jumped to heavyweight. It’s seriously expensive to put an express skid on our airplanes. Companies pay a lot to use us. Then you add the surcharges like non stackable, and it just adds up. They already have us here to shuttle freight to the stations. Having us pickup and deliver freight is a bonus for them. Ever seen the cost of a 1,500 pound first overnight Saturday? It pays for the driver who delivered it for like 3 months lol.... and did I mention we’re paid like swing couriers.... Trust me we’re easy money for FedEx.

falcon back

Yes. Was a courier for about 7 years. Then jumped to heavyweight. It’s seriously expensive to put an express skid on our airplanes. Companies pay a lot to use us. Then you add the surcharges like non stackable, and it just adds up. They already have us here to shuttle freight to the stations. Having us pickup and deliver freight is a bonus for them. Ever seen the cost of a 1,500 pound first overnight Saturday? It pays for the driver who delivered it for like 3 months lol.... and did I mention we’re paid like swing couriers.... Trust me we’re easy money for FedEx.
While pulling a trailer with a rig that both total six figures. There are plenty of expenses involved with heavyweight that you aren't taking into consideration.

Aquaman

While pulling a trailer with a rig that both total six figures. There are plenty of expenses involved with heavyweight that you aren't taking into consideration.
You have to think though there’s a lot fewer of us than couriers. In my area, my station is responsible for supplying freight for 6 stations. We’re the only station with a heavyweight operation for hundreds of miles. I’m not saying we’re not an expense. Tractors are expensive, but so are Courier trucks and FO vans. We probably have 25 tractors. That’s probably a few million dollars. Those 6 stations probably have 300-400 vehicles at least. When you look at the cost we’re well worth it for the control it gives them.

zeev

You have to think though there’s a lot fewer of us than couriers. In my area, my station is responsible for supplying freight for 6 stations. We’re the only station with a heavyweight operation for hundreds of miles. I’m not saying we’re not an expense. Tractors are expensive, but so are Courier trucks and FO vans. We probably have 25 tractors. That’s probably a few million dollars. Those 6 stations probably have 300-400 vehicles at least. When you look at the cost we’re well worth it for the control it gives them.
Very good 🤔 ng heavyweight a cash cow buy Tesla

Aquaman

Does Cartage do on call pickups?
I’d stay away from cartage honestly. It’s a company UPS bought out. I believe it was called Menlo or something. They drive plain white straight trucks with a UPS sticker slapped on the side. They aren’t full blown UPS employees. Although they enjoy most of the same benefits. They have a rider on the union contract. But I wouldn’t want to be a rider every time contract negotiations came up. Their operation is extremely small compared to Express heavyweight. Some stations only having 10-12 drivers. Most of the old Menlo guys are still there so you’ll never see day shift. And with an operation that small it would be nothing for UPS to do away with it.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Hourly ops rehires start at step one.

Welp, I don't think we'll be seeing CSDSM18 working at FedEx anytime soon. There is no incentive to return. I could see starting out at a pay step below where you left off, but not all the way back at step 1. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go back and start out at step 1 all over again.

Csdsm18

Well the manager ended up telling me he made a mistake and the posting was supposed to be internal first not external so he can move forward with me now.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Well the manager ended up telling me he made a mistake and the posting was supposed to be internal first not external so he can move forward with me now.

You could go to FedEx Freight or XPO or a several other companies and you'll start out at the equivalent of where you left off at Express, but you'll top out in 3 years. You'll be topped out in 3 years in what it would take you 20 years to top out at Express. Look for a city driver position at Freight or even XPO (those are day jobs just doing pickups/deliveries). Do yourself a favor and go apply at those places. FDX Freight is supposed to be a good company to work for-start with them. You aren't missing anything not getting back on at Express. And if you can get hired on to UPS parcel, do it.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Drive a garbage truck. All day work. Don't even have to get out of the truck anymore.
residentialkids-waving01039v2-1566493509977.jpg

mrbigr504

First off, why didn't it work out for you at UPS? That's what we'd like to know. If you go back to FedEx, will you pick up where you left off pay wise? I'm an RTD. I like the job, but I'd like it a lot better if it paid better.
I was at TForce who bought UPS freight division & I'm going back to FedEx Express also! The terminal in Kennesaw,Ga is toxic & you can mess up your CDL & csa score by driving a tractor trailer into a residential area & taring down wires & damaging property doing residential deliveries! Waaay too much drama & chaos going on at that terminal & I do think it depends on the terminal you operate out of. Since the choices are only 2 in Atlanta you can keep em both👎🏿. FedEx Express Heavyweight is just their freight division of FedEx Express which is also next day or same day as express. They both load at the same terminal here in Atlanta. I trained in that division while I was training to do RTD. I like P&D and so FedEx Express Heavyweight division is really cool EXCEPT it pays the same as RTD & the pay is low & that's why I ran over to TFORCE/UPS to make more money but maaaaan it was more headache! Not even the union was functional where I was! Right now FedEx Express RTD & Heavyweight are starting at $23.05 & the worst part about it is that you don't know when you get your next raise & it may take God knows how long to get to top dollar which is around $31.00 or $32.00hr. Benefits could be better & no pension plan but it is a laid back job & that's the only plus side to it IMO. But I have to admit, TForce did make me miss FedEx Express RTD I swear!