Fedex Express Heavyweight Driver

Csdsm18

Why doesn't anyone talk about the heavyweight division at Express? Has anyone ever tried it? I have the option on going back to express after leaving them for UPS which did no work out for me. Plus side to it for me is it day work somewhat normal hours. Anybody have any reviews on the heavyweight division?

fedx

Extra Large Package
First off, why didn't it work out for you at UPS? That's what we'd like to know. If you go back to FedEx, will you pick up where you left off pay wise? I'm an RTD. I like the job, but I'd like it a lot better if it paid better.

zeev

Day work every day an adventure different places different trucks, work is great management is FedEx liars.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why doesn't anyone talk about the heavyweight division at Express? Has anyone ever tried it? I have the option on going back to express after leaving them for UPS which did no work out for me. Plus side to it for me is it day work somewhat normal hours. Anybody have any reviews on the heavyweight division?

How much you gotta weigh to get into this heavyweight division
I’ve seen a few pushing 300 lbs

Csdsm18

First off, why didn't it work out for you at UPS? That's what we'd like to know. If you go back to FedEx, will you pick up where you left off pay wise? I'm an RTD. I like the job, but I'd like it a lot better if it paid better.
UPS didn't work at as I was laid off after 1 month. I mean I guess maybe I could have collected unemployment but that didn't happen. I didn't like that fact of calling everyday to see if I had work and possibly working overnights again. I left fedex express because I got sick of the overnight and ups was promising day work so I went with them. Also worked at fedex ground for a contractor money and hours were great but no retirement and :censored2:ty benefits. Huge perk for them is it was 10mins down the road. Now this fedex express is more like 30miles down the road possibly over and hour commute everyday.

Serf

Heavyweight guys tend to start early in the morning. They get a handful of deliveries. And sometimes bulk pickups. Lotta driving in between deliveries. It’s a good gig I think.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Just like Express packages are slowly being incorporated into Ground, Heavyweight is slowly being incorporated into Freight.

So much for job security.

zeev

UPS didn't work at as I was laid off after 1 month. I mean I guess maybe I could have collected unemployment but that didn't happen. I didn't like that fact of calling everyday to see if I had work and possibly working overnights again. I left fedex express because I got sick of the overnight and ups was promising day work so I went with them. Also worked at fedex ground for a contractor money and hours were great but no retirement and :censored2:ty benefits. Huge perk for them is it was 10mins down the road. Now this fedex express is more like 30miles down the road possibly over and hour commute everyday.
Depends on your location UPS has been raiding our RTD-heavey weight drivers. It’s gotten so bad he Senior had a meeting with the part timers asking them not to leave or begging them, to stay offering to make them full time but most are mad about the no step process. In this area UPS has been making them permanent right away. Nights meaning BABO has been taken by old timers who won’t budge. If they offered you heavyweight you would days but you would probably be swing starting out or do a station run n and than go to heavyweight where the regular routes will drop all the crappy stops to you. You could be in a 53. a pup r a straight truck, remember if you have a pup you are just as tall as a 53.

NC man

Know couple where I am, been at it since it started . Not lot of stops but as mentioned they do cover of ground.

Csdsm18

Yes UPS is hiring full time permanent feeder drivers of the street by me. I just don't wanna do overnights again. So I think I'm gonna go back to Express, hours would be better and I'm sure they get OT. So all n all I don't think heavyweight may be a bad idea.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yes UPS is hiring full time permanent feeder drivers of the street by me. I just don't wanna do overnights again. So I think I'm gonna go back to Express, hours would be better and I'm sure they get OT. So all n all I don't think heavyweight may be a bad idea.

So how long did you work at Express? If you go back to Express, would you start out in pay at where you left off? You mention you worked overnight at Express as an RTD? I never heard of that, but I work at a smaller ramp where we only have a couple of shifts (real early morning or 2nd shift). You worked overnights at Express as an RTD? IDK, I would have tried to stick it out with UPS. You could have gotten unemployment if you weren't working constantly at UPS. Sure not a ton of money, but you're sitting at home watching TV getting paid. Also, UPS you would have been topped out in like 4 years making close to $40/hr. You'll never top out at Express. Not in 4 years, not in 40 years. At my ramp, the morning RTDs do station "cans" delivery and then do heavyweight deliveries while the afternoon RTDs do heavyweight pickups and then go pick up station cans to bring back to the ramp. IDK how other RTDS do it, but I would imagine it's similar unless you're in a big city where you have just heavyweight pickup/delivery drivers who do nothing else. At smaller ramps, RTDS are both heavyweight drivers as well as linehaul (feeder) drivers. Most of us drive 53' trailers to do pickups/deliveries and take that same trailer to the stations. I think we're way underpaid for what we do.

Last edited:

outtatime

Overnight Express RTD's do what's called a BABO run. It's cans of freight that are somewhat local to each other (250-300miles). They have a set meet point halfway between major cities with another driver, switch trailers and head back to their respective ramps. Like was stated earlier, the overnight runs are usually done by old timers. About the easiest Express job there is.

Csdsm18

So how long did you work at Express? If you go back to Express, would you start out in pay at where you left off? You mention you worked overnight at Express as an RTD? I never heard of that, but I work at a smaller ramp where we only have a couple of shifts (real early morning or 2nd shift). You worked overnights at Express as an RTD? IDK, I would have tried to stick it out with UPS. You could have gotten unemployment if you weren't working constantly at UPS. Sure not a ton of money, but you're sitting at home watching TV getting paid. Also, UPS you would have been topped out in like 4 years making close to $40/hr. You'll never top out at Express. Not in 4 years, not in 40 years. At my ramp, the morning RTDs do station "cans" delivery and then do heavyweight deliveries while the afternoon RTDs do heavyweight pickups and then go pick up station cans to bring back to the ramp. IDK how other RTDS do it, but I would imagine it's similar unless you're in a big city where you have just heavyweight pickup/delivery drivers who do nothing else. At smaller ramps, RTDS are both heavyweight drivers as well as linehaul (feeder) drivers. Most of us drive 53' trailers to do pickups/deliveries and take that same trailer to the stations. I think we're way underpaid for what we do.
I worked at Express for 5yrs I was on step 4. I'm not sure where I'll start but if I have to start back over idk if I'll take the position. I'll find out this week when the manager contacts me. Yes I worked overnights. I worked in the city and went up to Newark Airport every night. Did a station run went empty picked up the cans back to the airport to sort that out then up to Newark Airport and sat up there for a few hours. Was EXTREMELY easy work, idk how that's even consider work lol. But yes RTD did they own thing and heavyweight had there thing. Only way to get OT doing RTD work was working overnights otherwise you got your 40 and out. Heavyweight on the other hand I hear they are getting between 5-10hrs OT a week easily. Also sucks whenever I do go back I won't get that BS pension anymore they had, they eliminated that January of this year. Honestly only complaint I had before I left was the whole raise system, otherwise the job was kinda a job got paid to sleep basically if you didn't even have a route. UPS no work don't come in fedex you didn't have to worry about that work or not you come in and get paid. While I was job hunting after UPS I noticed the different pay scales of other LTL companies and frankly the rates werent much to brag about plus alot give no OT. Only huge perk of those other carries were yes you topped out in at most 4yrs.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Overnight Express RTD's do what's called a BABO run. It's cans of freight that are somewhat local to each other (250-300miles). They have a set meet point halfway between major cities with another driver, switch trailers and head back to their respective ramps. Like was stated earlier, the overnight runs are usually done by old timers. About the easiest Express job there is.

They did that at smaller ramps too a loooong time ago. Now that's outsourced to 3rd party contractors. Been outsourced for like 15 years now. I know Ground still does BABO runs. Honestly not sure what that stands for, but I know what you mean about driving halfway, switching trailers and heading back. I didn't know it had a name.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I worked at Express for 5yrs I was on step 4. I'm not sure where I'll start but if I have to start back over idk if I'll take the position. I'll find out this week when the manager contacts me. Yes I worked overnights. I worked in the city and went up to Newark Airport every night. Did a station run went empty picked up the cans back to the airport to sort that out then up to Newark Airport and sat up there for a few hours. Was EXTREMELY easy work, idk how that's even consider work lol. But yes RTD did they own thing and heavyweight had there thing. Only way to get OT doing RTD work was working overnights otherwise you got your 40 and out. Heavyweight on the other hand I hear they are getting between 5-10hrs OT a week easily. Also sucks whenever I do go back I won't get that BS pension anymore they had, they eliminated that January of this year. Honestly only complaint I had before I left was the whole raise system, otherwise the job was kinda a job got paid to sleep basically if you didn't even have a route. UPS no work don't come in fedex you didn't have to worry about that work or not you come in and get paid. While I was job hunting after UPS I noticed the different pay scales of other LTL companies and frankly the rates werent much to brag about plus alot give no OT. Only huge perk of those other carries were yes you topped out in at most 4yrs.

I would "demand" you start where you left off. If they refuse that, I would actually demand you start out 1 level below where you left off and if they still refuse, I'd not do it then. We don't have overnight work at smaller ramps. We don't do OT either, but I'm fine with that. IDK if pension was removed yet. It might not have been due to all the coronavirus upheaval that happened. Check with the mgr. As a truck driver you can find work easily. I still would have stayed at UPS, but yes you can top out an any job, other than Express, in 4 years. So you can work at another company, work hard and make a lot of money or work at Express (actually not work very hard) and not make much money. It's up to you.

Csdsm18

I would "demand" you start where you left off. If they refuse that, I would actually demand you start out 1 level below where you left off and if they still refuse, I'd not do it then. We don't have overnight work at smaller ramps. We don't do OT either, but I'm fine with that. IDK if pension was removed yet. It might not have been due to all the coronavirus upheaval that happened. Check with the mgr. As a truck driver you can find work easily. I still would have stayed at UPS, but yes you can top out an any job, other than Express, in 4 years. So you can work at another company, work hard and make a lot of money or work at Express (actually not work very hard) and not make much money. It's up to you.
Yes I'll try to get my same money back if not I don't think I'll take it. Yea ups just didn't wanna be stuck on overnight for years and years as 20yr employees still try to get on a day route so me going in has no chance. I'll be happy to bring home $1000 a week n I think that's possible with the 5-10OT every week.

falcon back

Yep. The hiring manager has a rehire that was gone several years and is told by the prospective employee, I DEMAND you bring me back what I was making when I quit. The managers will get a good laugh at that in their weekly staff meeting..

falcon back

Yes I'll try to get my same money back if not I don't think I'll take it. Yea ups just didn't wanna be stuck on overnight for years and years as 20yr employees still try to get on a day route so me going in has no chance. I'll be happy to bring home $1000 a week n I think that's possible with the 5-10OT every week.
Bringing home 1k a week is gonna take more than 5-10 hrs of OT unless you make mid range money, have no state income taxes, put little if nothing in the 401k and don't have to buy family coverage medical insurance.