Feeder Driver (Where to begin)

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
So hears the deal. I'm 44 and don't want to die behind the wheel of a truck at age 80, if I make it that long. I had a sweet local gig and in February I broke my ankle riding Motocross. My recovery took 5 months and my position was filled. No one to blame but myself but I'm not going to live life in fear. Anyway, is it worth it for someone like myself to start at the bottom? I'm currently running OTR but I'm home every other day. To be honest I hate it.

So, the question is. If I were to chase down this elusive feeder position is starting as a P/T package handler my only option. I'm considering USPS as a carrier also.

I've read a good deal on here so please go easy on me. I have over a million miles under my belt and most of these truck driving jobs are demoralizing at best.
Depends on where you apply. Any big metropolitan hub will move you along much faster. I put my name on the feeder bid list two years into pkg driving. And got a call a few months later to go feeder. I'm in a big city though. Po dunk middle of nowhere you will wait 20 years easy. How bad do you want this? You might have to move

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The monies in feeders runs the gamut. Some drivers are happy with 40 hours. Some want 60. Some want mileage runs, some want hourly. The sleeper runs are where the big bucks are. There is a driver I stay in touch with who makes $150k/year. He told me they just added 400 miles to his run. He said he'll cry all the way to the bank. When a senior guy bids a sleeper job, he can pick his driving partner from any driver in the department. A new feeder driver just came into feeders and was chosen to be a co-driver. Just came into feeders and step into a $150,000k job a year? It can happen. The 2 drivers share the miles/money equally. There were about 200 drivers in my feeder department. As far as I know, there was only 1 off the street hire among them. They have no problem getting PT people to sign the list when posted down here. Not sure what the wait time is here now for PT'ers. It took me 9 years of PC before I got in, but I passed up 2 bid sheets before I saw the light. Good luck to the OP.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So basically it's impossible to get hired off the street and starting from the bottom would take 20 years in Phoenix? Super!
We got a building that's hiring feeder off the street right now, but you'd have to move to the east coast.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Depends on where you apply. Any big metropolitan hub will move you along much faster. I put my name on the feeder bid list two years into pkg driving. And got a call a few months later to go feeder. I'm in a big city though. Po dunk middle of nowhere you will wait 20 years easy. How bad do you want this? You might have to move
Some people in a small center will never have an opportunity to go feeder ....

oldupsman

There are some states where I've seen the job available but I've been watching Phoenix for the better part of a year daily and no dice. You would think with all the growth here there would be a demand.

All depends what part of the country you're in. They're hiring feeder guys off the street throughout
most of the northeast.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The monies in feeders runs the gamut. Some drivers are happy with 40 hours. Some want 60. Some want mileage runs, some want hourly. The sleeper runs are where the big bucks are. There is a driver I stay in touch with who makes $150k/year. He told me they just added 400 miles to his run. He said he'll cry all the way to the bank. When a senior guy bids a sleeper job, he can pick his driving partner from any driver in the department. A new feeder driver just came into feeders and was chosen to be a co-driver. Just came into feeders and step into a $150,000k job a year? It can happen. The 2 drivers share the miles/money equally. There were about 200 drivers in my feeder department. As far as I know, there was only 1 off the street hire among them. They have no problem getting PT people to sign the list when posted down here. Not sure what the wait time is here now for PT'ers. It took me 9 years of PC before I got in, but I passed up 2 bid sheets before I saw the light. Good luck to the OP.
How many sleeper teams did your Dept run???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There were about 10 when I retired a couple of years ago. Right after I left, they added some more runs. There are currently about 20 at my old building and another 15 in the various centers around the Houston area.
Having sleepers is a good thing... 2 drivers per pop...gives the younger guys a chance for more work imo....