Ben84

I have a question for all feeders. I am a feeder driver out of Fort Worth, TX local 767. Does anyone else deal with a “call board”?! For those who don’t it is the worst and most dangerous thing for truck drivers. For example last week I was called in for work on Monday at 0800 to run a job. I clocked out that day at 1830 which would give me a reset of 0430. I didn’t receive another call to come back into work until 2230 the following day for a route that is a minimum of 10.5 hours of drive time. If I deny in then I lose my punch and won’t be able to get my hours. So after being up for 14 hours already I was forced to come in and run a 12 hour route with 10.5 of it driving. This happens on a weekly basis! It’s extremely dangerous and needs to stop. The call board is currently banding together to eradicate it. I’m just curious if any other hubs practice this or have in the past. If so how did you get it to stop?
Do you call at your reset to see where you are on call? Make sure they don’t skip you in line of seniority. If they are following seniority order then all you can do is rest according to what number you are on call at the time of your reset

ManInBrown

I have a question for all feeders. I am a feeder driver out of Fort Worth, TX local 767. Does anyone else deal with a “call board”?! For those who don’t it is the worst and most dangerous thing for truck drivers. For example last week I was called in for work on Monday at 0800 to run a job. I clocked out that day at 1830 which would give me a reset of 0430. I didn’t receive another call to come back into work until 2230 the following day for a route that is a minimum of 10.5 hours of drive time. If I deny in then I lose my punch and won’t be able to get my hours. So after being up for 14 hours already I was forced to come in and run a 12 hour route with 10.5 of it driving. This happens on a weekly basis! It’s extremely dangerous and needs to stop. The call board is currently banding together to eradicate it. I’m just curious if any other hubs practice this or have in the past. If so how did you get it to stop?
177 and no. When I first heard about on call feeders in other locals I couldn’t even wrap my head around how crazy it sounded. Weekly schedule here, same daily start time for the week, guaranteed 40. None of that going back to package when it gets slow nonsense here either.

RMR46

You wanted to be a fat cat feed the driver see when they asked me I told him already work nights I work about 4 days a week I work till 8:00 to 11:00 at night plus 95 doing fine and I'm in pretty decent shape we have some free to drive is I don't know how they pass through Dot? And they are working the weekends and all kinds of crazy shifts I must say forget that so enjoy it back at you signed up for it

ManInBrown

Take yourself out of service for the night… there’s nothing they can do to you. Tell them you’ll call them when you get rested up.
But then he doesn’t get paid. Wild how the union allows call in. The whole system of being on a call in sheet sounds crazy. Temps off the street trying to get hired permanent, fine. But FT feeder drivers with seniority on a call in list? Not knowing when you’ll work and won’t work?

Cowboy Mac

But then he doesn’t get paid. Wild how the union allows call in. The whole system of being on a call in sheet sounds crazy. Temps off the street trying to get hired permanent, fine. But FT feeder drivers with seniority on a call in list? Not knowing when you’ll work and won’t work?
Technically we don’t have seniority until we bid a run. Until then, we are on the cover list. And it sucks if you are bottom of the list or if work is slow.

There can be pressure to take a run without proper rest just so you don’t get stuck in package all week due to 10 hour reset (package works days, most feeder runs are at night).

Right now for me, I get called the day before. With all these vacations, I’m working every day, and I have a run lined up for the next day before I come in to work. The higher seniority cover drivers get called to cover jobs on a week by week basis is what I’ve heard.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I get it but if he’s so tired that he is going to dump a set into the ditch, well… better to just not work..

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You wanted to be a fat cat feed the driver see when they asked me I told him already work nights I work about 4 days a week I work till 8:00 to 11:00 at night plus 95 doing fine and I'm in pretty decent shape we have some free to drive is I don't know how they pass through Dot? And they are working the weekends and all kinds of crazy shifts I must say forget that so enjoy it back at you signed up for it
Is English your second language?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
@Wally how about a little help can’t make out what tuff guy is trying to say

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lmfao
A feeder driver volunteer to go back to package
Carols gonna run a route in Buckhead first
I went back to package a few times and the center mgr had no idea who I was…would work sundays in feeders then tues, wed, thurs in package then they would pull me on fridays for feeders… did this for 3 or four weeks and then finally disappeared for good.

Cowboy Mac

Lmfao
A feeder driver volunteer to go back to package
Carols gonna run a route in Buckhead first
I know what you’re saying, but if he wants to complain about no work, then let’s go to work. Go back to package for a few days or bump 2 part timers in the hub. We have options.

Trucker Clock

It’s pretty bad when your nodding out throughout the entire night driving to Amarillo and back 600+ miles. Ultimately being up for well over 24 hours after your shift.

You’re brilliant. Way to go professional truck driver. You knew you would be tired and possibly nodding off while driving because this is not the first time it happened to you.

You are going to kill yourself, or worse, kill someone else.

You know that it is a DOT violation to drive when you know you shouldn’t be because you did not get proper rest?

Way to go driver. Put peoples lives at risk, and UPS’s reputation on the line by going in knowing you could fall asleep behind the wheel and kill someone.

You’ve been doing this for 3 years and don’t know how to manage your sleep?

You don’t deserve to work here. Sorry, just telling you the way it is.

ManInBrown

I get it but if he’s so tired that he is going to dump a set into the ditch, well… better to just not work.
Absolutely. More what I meant was I can’t believe there are locals that operate like this. Not guaranteed hours. Not guaranteed a set weekly start time. Sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring to see if you can pay your rent or mortgage that month. That’s wild. Again, temps trying to get a permanent job I can understand. FT seniority permanent feeder drivers. That’s crazy.

I’m a spare driver. I don’t have a run by choice. I cover vacations and people out on disability. i work every week in feeders. I am guaranteed 40 hours. No going back to package in the 177. Every week be bid open jobs in seniority order. I cover a job with a set start time. There are roughly 55 spare drivers. If only 22 jobs are open one week, guess what. If they have 33 extra spare drivers they need to find a home for, they add 33 extra jobs for the week. All with a set start time. Are these call in locals RTW states?

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Absolutely. More what I meant was I can’t believe there are locals that operate like this. Not guaranteed hours. Not guaranteed a set weekly start time. Sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring to see if you can pay your rent or mortgage that month. That’s wild. Again, temps trying to get a permanent job I can understand. FT seniority permanent feeder drivers. That’s crazy.

I’m a spare driver. I don’t have a run. I cover vacations and people out on disability. i work every week in feeders. I am guaranteed 40 hours. No going back to package in the 177. Every week be bid open jobs in seniority order. I cover a job with a set start time. There are roughly 55 spare drivers. If only 22 jobs are open one week, guess what. If they have 33 extra spare drivers they need to find a home for, they add 33 extra jobs for the week. All with a set start time. Are these call in locals RTW states?
And what do you think happens when they don’t have 33 extra jobs to send out?

Cowboy Mac

I’m a spare driver. I don’t have a run by choice. I cover vacations and people out on disability. i work every week in feeders. I am guaranteed 40 hours. No going back to package in the 177. Every week be bid open jobs in seniority order. I cover a job with a set start time. There are roughly 55 spare drivers. If only 22 jobs are open one week, guess what. If they have 33 extra spare drivers they need to find a home for, they add 33 extra jobs for the week. All with a set start time. Are these call in locals RTW states?
What’s are all these extra drivers doing? Do they get 8 for just showing up and standing around?

ManInBrown

What’s are all these extra drivers doing? Do they get 8 for just showing up and standing around?
They find them something to do. Go to Amazon four times and grab an empty. The lowest drivers on the list are given keys to the worst equipment and told to help shift for the day. Anything, they find something. Drivers call out, so their run needs to be covered. I mean most weeks throughout the year, there are enough drivers on vacation and disability where most spare drivers are covering a run. But you do have slow vacation weeks where it happens. February, March.