Forced 1hr lunch

Upsking

Anybody else being forced to take a hr lunch everyday? Can they do this ? I got called in the office because i took a half hr. So are they gonna tell me where to eat next.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anybody else being forced to take a hr lunch everyday? Can they do this ? I got called in the office because i took a half hr. So are they gonna tell me where to eat next.

What does your supplement say? It should state how long your meal break is and how far off your route you can go to take your break.

I got "spoken to" for only taking 15 minutes last Friday.

Upsking

It says up to a hr . They are taking away time with my family doing this. Its all about control they think we will skip our breaks. Ups gives zero sh@ts about us or our family.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily

We got a new division manager in our building who tried to force the hour lunch on us as well. When scores of drivers protested in the PCM, he then said to get authorization from the center manager to take half an hour. So many people then marched over to the center manager that he refused to see anyone about it. So I decided to still take a half an hour and if they wanted to bring me in the office I would then discuss it in front of a shop steward. 2 months of half hour lunches and not a word, so I think I'm good. Besides, CA state law requires only a half an hour lunch before the 5th hour so I'll adhere to that.

I agree totally with your post though, it's like they don't care about the time we get to spend with our family. We work long hours as is, now they want to try to force us to be out even later and get even less time?

JL 0513

Depends on your local/region. In New England we are forced an hour. I believe it's state law, not just what's in the contract. If I had the choice, I would just take 30 minutes a day along with most guys I believe.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Article 54 Southern Supplement

(A) The employee shall be entitled to and required to take a meal period of one (1) hour. Failure to take and properly record the required meal period may be cause for disciplinary action.

(B) Meal Period - Inside: The parties are agreed in principle that where practical the meal period will not start before the employee has been on duty three (3) hours or after the employee has been on duty five (5) hours.

(D) Meal Period - Package: Package drivers will be allowed to take their meal period in no more than three (3) increments at their option provided the entire meal period is taken by the eighth (8th) hour of duty.

Not sure what FT position you are in but those two should cover you, I'd post the feeder requirements but you'd already know that language, they teach it as a method.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why do that with all the different answers he can get here?
All he has to do is state what Supplement he is under and someone would chime in. I post the Southern Supplment language so hopefully people who actually use the search feature can find actual language instead of online wanna-be stewards who don't even know what a grievance is.

UPSGUY72

Somedays I take a 1 hour lunch and put it in the board others I take 5 min and put 5 min in the Board. Than there are days like today. I punched out at 4:00 didn't put a lunch in and will get my guaranteed 8.

mdnj88

Local 177 they take an hour out unpaid anyway. So we have to take it. Except the runners who record 1 hour and continue to work.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Local 177 they take an hour out unpaid anyway. So we have to take it. Except the runners who record 1 hour and continue to work.
Yeah, that's illegal. We had drivers in my building claim that as well. Had an old timer tell me over and over and over they do that. My FT even told him they can't, it's illegal. So I made a bet with him. Take a 25 minute lunch everyday that week. He was working as directed so he couldn't get in trouble. If he was wrong I would give him the pay he was owed. If I was right he had to get me a case of Omaha steaks.

Those things tasted great on the charcoal.

mdnj88

Yeah, that's illegal. We had drivers in my building claim that as well. Had an old timer tell me over and over and over they do that. My FT even told him they can't, it's illegal. So I made a bet with him. Take a 25 minute lunch everyday that week. He was working as directed so he couldn't get in trouble. If he was wrong I would give him the pay he was owed. If I was right he had to get me a case of Omaha steaks.

Those things tasted great on the charcoal.

Well I'm not sure if it is or isn't, but I take my full break everyday so I could care less. My lunch hour is my 2nd favorite time of the day besides punching out.

dudebro

See, because if drivers DON'T record one hour of personal time each day, that could be a lawsuit too, that UPS isn't allowing the breaks. And the timecards of legions of drivers not taking the time they're entitled to would be proof.